Register

Back in business

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderators: Daniel Benson, Susan Westemeyer, Irondan

07 Aug 2013 12:25

So, we have a combination cyber attack and software upgrade that takes nearly three weeks! Utterly incredible and unbelievable!

Can Dan Benson or some other Future bod kindly have the common decency to come in here to explain and apologize for this ludicrously long down time?

There's no point asking or 'bashing' the mods about this, as what happened, and why it took as long as it did, was nothing whatsoever to do with them.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

07 Aug 2013 13:54

Amsterhammer wrote:So, we have a combination cyber attack and software upgrade that takes nearly three weeks! Utterly incredible and unbelievable!

Can Dan Benson or some other Future bod kindly have the common decency to come in here to explain and apologize for this ludicrously long down time?

There's no point asking or 'bashing' the mods about this, as what happened, and why it took as long as it did, was nothing whatsoever to do with them.

Do you want your monthly subscription money refunded to you or something...oh wait
mikeNphilly

07 Aug 2013 14:20

mikeNphilly wrote:Do you want your monthly subscription money refunded to you or something...oh wait

hamsterslammer is your typical liberal. thinks everyone owes him something :D

sorry, couldn't resist
patricknd

07 Aug 2013 14:22

:D

wow
the gang's back!

nice vacation
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

07 Aug 2013 14:36

patricknd wrote:hamsterslammer is your typical liberal. thinks everyone owes him something :D

sorry, couldn't resist

That's right, I want my hand-outs!:p

According to what I know, what happened was entirely beyond CN's control, and I'm sure that CN (and their advertisers) would not have been too thrilled by the massive drop in traffic with no forums running. But, in view of the size and importance of this pretty large forum to CN, it really wasn't too much to ask, or expect, some kind of reasonable input of information about what was happening and when CN expected things to be up and running again.

What did we get? One 'story' on the news page when the 'attack' was first announced, 19 or so days ago, and since then - zip, nada.

Oh, apart from the wonderful post at the top of this forum which nobody will have seen till today.:rolleyes:
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

07 Aug 2013 14:42

Amsterhammer wrote:Oh, apart from the wonderful post at the top of this forum which nobody will have seen till today.:rolleyes:

I saw it the day it was posted ;)

(but quickly forgot the details...)
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

07 Aug 2013 15:40

patricknd wrote:hamsterslammer is your typical liberal. thinks everyone owes him something :D

sorry, couldn't resist

....ahh come on....he probably just assumed that he was dealing a reasonable organization that actually values its clients.....whereas in reality he was dealing some "Mega-Corp-Inc" where things like common courtesy just aren't part of the business model....poor deluded A/H:rolleyes:....

....sorry, couldn't resist....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

07 Aug 2013 16:23

I wonder how hundreds, most likely thousands upon thousands, of sites across the Internet manage to use vBulletin. All those sites must be run by elite anti-hacking computer geniuses or something.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

07 Aug 2013 16:25

BroDeal wrote:I wonder how hundreds, most likely thousands upon thousands, of sites across the Internet manage to use vBulletin. All those sites must be run by elite anti-hacking computer geniuses or something.

Or perhaps just not owned by Future.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

08 Aug 2013 10:43

What annoyed me is the discrepancy between what we were told when the forum was first withdrawn
"Forums, commenting down for maintenance
By: Cycling News
Published: July 19, 14:00,
Updated: July 19, 19:05

The Tour de France is in full swing, and we know our fans are just dying to chat with each other about what's been going on in the race and in other news. However, our operations staff have informed us that a critical update needs to be installed to the third party software that runs our forums and commenting sections.

We extend our apologies for the inconvenience to all of our readers and rest assured, our technicians are hard at work applying this update as quickly as possible."

And what we were eventually told.

Please, be honest and upfront first time next time.
"There's someone coming through the mist . . . it can't be . . . it is! .. Oh, sorry, my mistake. It isn't"
User avatar Armchair cyclist

10 Aug 2013 07:11

BroDeal wrote:I wonder how hundreds, most likely thousands upon thousands, of sites across the Internet manage to use vBulletin. All those sites must be run by elite anti-hacking computer geniuses or something.

I know many of forums that switched away from vBulletin in the past 6 months, they may of known something Future or actually Lack of Foresight Media knew. The number of forum converters from vBulletin to other forum software grew as well, another odd item no one at Fut... Lack of Foresight Media noticed or foresaw.

To top it off no one received an e-mail stating to change their passwd, the key sign you should probably be using a rouge e-mail and not an e-mail of any value for this site, you've been warned.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

11 Aug 2013 15:15

ElChingon wrote:I know many of forums that switched away from vBulletin in the past 6 months, they may of known something Future or actually Lack of Foresight Media knew. The number of forum converters from vBulletin to other forum software grew as well, another odd item no one at Fut... Lack of Foresight Media noticed or foresaw.

To top it off no one received an e-mail stating to change their passwd, the key sign you should probably be using a rouge e-mail and not an e-mail of any value for this site, you've been warned.

vBulletin are losing large amounts of customers.
Partly price, partly because v3 and v4 are vulnerable to attacks and no longer supported, and vbulletin 5 is the biggest heap of crap ever released. Nearly 1000 reported bugs, and so far 400 of them fixed. All the lead devs at VB left over a year ago, it is pretty much collapsing as a piece of software.
TheGame

Previous

Return to About the forum