Log in:  

Register

Forum restructuring

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

Forum restructuring

12 Dec 2013 00:00

I have been thinking about this for a while but after a post by Brodeal the other day i decided to actually do something about it. I talked to the rest of the staff and to Dan and everyone seems to be receptive to the idea.

This is the current forum structure:
General
-Café
Road
-PRR
-General
-Games
-The Clinic
MTB
-General
Track
-General
Cyclo Cross
-General
Bikes & Gear
-General
Form and Fitness
-General
FeedBack
-About the Forum
-About the webSite

This is the new structure i proposed to the staff and Dan, any observations would be appreciated:

General
-Café
Road
-PRR
-The clinic
MTB/Track/Cyclo-Cross
-General
Cycling General
-General
FeedBack
-About the Forum
-About the Website

Now let me explain what would be done.

The 3 less active sections on the forum(MTB/Track/Cyclo-Cross) would be merged into a single section for all 3. Maybe we could name it Modalities or something like that so all types of cycling except road would be discussed there.

The Road General, Games and Fantasy, Bikes and Gear and Fitness sections would all be Merged into Cycling General. Is merging the Fitness section into those other sections too much? It could seem a bit out of place but i think being merged into a, hopefully, more active section could be good for the Fitness section and get some good discussion going.

Ok, what do you guys think?
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,232
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

12 Dec 2013 00:14

Combine the MTB/track/cyclocross with general cycling. There is not enough traffic to justify a separate sub forum. Combine the two "about" forums into one feedback forum.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,318
Joined: 18 Mar 2009 00:41
Location: Above 5000 feet

12 Dec 2013 00:44

Good idea. What about making a seperate subforum for "other sports" under general? I dont know if there is enough traffic for that but I think it would be better organized that way, and just keep everything that isnt sport related under "general"

General
-cafe
-other sports

Road
-PRR
-the clinic

Other cycling
-MTB/track/cross
-Equipment
-Form & Fitness
-Fantasy cycling

Forum Feedback

I feel like I forgot something but I think that would be pretty good.
User avatar the sceptic
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,664
Joined: 21 Jul 2012 20:17

12 Dec 2013 00:48

Parrulo wrote:I have been thinking about this for a while but after a post by Brodeal the other day i decided to actually do something about it. I talked to the rest of the staff and to Dan and everyone seems to be receptive to the idea.

This is the current forum structure:
General
-Café
Road
-PRR
-General
-Games
-The Clinic
MTB
-General
Track
-General
Cyclo Cross
-General
Bikes & Gear
-General
Form and Fitness
-General
FeedBack
-About the Forum
-About the webSite

This is the new structure i proposed to the staff and Dan, any observations would be appreciated:

General
-Café
Road
-PRR
-The clinic
MTB/Track/Cyclo-Cross
-General
Cycling General
-General
FeedBack
-About the Forum
-About the Website

Now let me explain what would be done.

The 3 less active sections on the forum(MTB/Track/Cyclo-Cross) would be merged into a single section for all 3. Maybe we could name it Modalities or something like that so all types of cycling except road would be discussed there.

The Road General, Games and Fantasy, Bikes and Gear and Fitness sections would all be Merged into Cycling General. Is merging the Fitness section into those other sections too much? It could seem a bit out of place but i think being merged into a, hopefully, more active section could be good for the Fitness section and get some good discussion going.

Ok, what do you guys think?


pretty reasonable
could combine a 'Fitness & Training" section
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,283
Joined: 09 Aug 2010 22:20
Location: co

12 Dec 2013 00:49

the sceptic wrote:Good idea. What about making a seperate subforum for "other sports" under general? I dont know if there is enough traffic for that but I think it would be better organized that way, and just keep everything that isnt sport related under "general"

General
-cafe
-other sports

Road
-PRR
-the clinic

Other cycling
-MTB/track/cross
-Equipment
-Form & Fitness
-Fantasy cycling

Forum Feedback

I feel like I forgot something but I think that would be pretty good.


Agree about there should be a separate forum for "other sports".
User avatar darwin553
Member
 
Posts: 1,097
Joined: 25 Jun 2013 11:49

12 Dec 2013 00:50

While I'm at it could we please go back to the original 'old-fashioned' format??

like this?
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com

it was way more interesting to read


:cool:
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,283
Joined: 09 Aug 2010 22:20
Location: co

12 Dec 2013 01:10

Looks pretty good. Maybe another place for the fitness could be in the general section next to the cafe, and it could be more about fitness in general instead of just fitness as it relates to cycling.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,595
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

12 Dec 2013 01:16

The point of restructuring the forum is to reduce the number of sections in order to increase the activity on parts of the forum.

With that in mind, creating another section on a subject that only has a handful of threads that aren't even active on daily basis just doesn't make sense.

Brodeal you have a point with the lack of activity on the Track/MTB/cyclo-cross section, even after a merge. But i think that would make the General cycling section a bit too big and it would feel weird to completely give up on all modalities of cycling except road racing.

I guess we will need more feedback on that.

I can't say anything about the Feedback section as i don't know if Dan would want to merge those 2 sub sections. After all the forum and the website are 2 completely different things and activity doesn't really matter on those.
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,232
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

12 Dec 2013 01:26

Yes the fitness part has been bothering me a bit.

Never considered the Fitness section a cycling only section but it is only logical that it would tend to that on a cycling forum.

Right now there is only one active thread on that section and it is the never ending crank thread which, being totally honest here, no one really cares about.

So with the level of discussion it has i think it's perfectly fine to keep it inside Cycling general and i also think it's perfectly fine to discuss all types of fitness there as well.

Also another point for those asking for sub sections on the General forum. The Café is the place to discuss everything, so what's the point to create sub sections there when you are already free to discuss everything on the café?
Besides will getting the real football thread and the aussie football rules thread and a couple others on a separate section make them any more active than the 20 posts per month( random number) they are averaging right now? How so?
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,232
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

12 Dec 2013 09:24

If you wanted an 'other sports' forum it could be as a sub-forum to cafe-general.

Could also have the games/fantasy as a sub-forum of PRR.

Also, there is no need to have so many categories, only really need two, with PRR/Clinic at the top:

Professional Road
--PRR
--Clinic

Cycling General
--MTB/CX/Track etc
--General (inc Fitness/Gear)

Community
--Cafe
--Feedback
Ferminal
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,913
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

12 Dec 2013 12:07

Parrulo wrote:
Also another point for those asking for sub sections on the General forum. The Café is the place to discuss everything, so what's the point to create sub sections there when you are already free to discuss everything on the café?


Yes, exactly.

I prefer the classic layout Ferminal proposes. Have your core business (PRR, Clinic) at the top, and the community area, off-topic discussions and forum issues, at the bottom.

The only issue I have with his proposal is that current traffic doesn't warrant two "general cycling" sub forums, as BroDeal pointed out before. As it stands, it doesn't even warrant one. It could "all" be discussed in the PRR sub forum (MTB, CX, track) and the rest in the general discussions sub forum.

One general cycling forum could work, though. Typically, though, you only add sub forums when the # of off-topic posts in (an)other forum section(s) warrant(s) it. I'm not sure if that was the case this year.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,443
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

12 Dec 2013 12:39

I never post in the MTB/Track/Cyclo Cross/Gear/Fitness subforums, but in my experience, merging forums only leads to a decrease in specialized (not the best word to use these days, I'm aware) posts, which are simply drowned in other discussions until it feels like they have no place there anymore. It's better to keep them separate. It's not like doing so costs you money or anything.

Similarly, I wouldn't recommend dumping everything into the Café. Yes, technically everything would suit the stated purpose of the Café, but you have to be a bit more pragmatic here. Fantasy games are a particular niche of the forum, and they can get annoying for people who aren't involved. You'll either overwhelm the general discussion with forum games, or make forum games less and less frequent until they no longer feel appropriate in that forum. Either way, it's a change for the worse.

I've seen this in many forums during the past 10 years or so. Streamlining the structure is fine and can certainly be done, but the urge to merge forums just because it makes sense logically always results in a decrease in activity, specialized discussions and forum quality in general.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,433
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

pro

12 Dec 2013 13:15

in our modern era why do we have pro road racing?

would racing.....road
.....off road ( cx mtb track etc )
......clinic be more appropiate?

I definitely like the idea of less sub forums

Mark L
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,918
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

12 Dec 2013 13:23

Here's what I'd suggest:

Racing
- Road Race
- Track
- Mountain Bike
- Cross
- Clinic

[SIZE="2"]( I guess that track, MTB and cross could potentially be merged...)[/SIZE]

The Cyclists' Meeting Place
- Discussions
- Fitness
- Gear

Community
- Café
- Fun and Games
- About the Website
- About the Forum


Basically a place where we can talk about what's going on the the actual world of racing, including the clinic stuff.
A place where we can talk about more personal experiences with cycling.
And finally a place where we can just kick back, talk about something else than cycling, play some games and provide some (constructive) critisism.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,217
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

12 Dec 2013 14:33

hrotha wrote:I never post in the MTB/Track/Cyclo Cross/Gear/Fitness subforums, but in my experience, merging forums only leads to a decrease in specialized (not the best word to use these days, I'm aware) posts, which are simply drowned in other discussions until it feels like they have no place there anymore. It's better to keep them separate. It's not like doing so costs you money or anything.

Similarly, I wouldn't recommend dumping everything into the Café. Yes, technically everything would suit the stated purpose of the Café, but you have to be a bit more pragmatic here. Fantasy games are a particular niche of the forum, and they can get annoying for people who aren't involved. You'll either overwhelm the general discussion with forum games, or make forum games less and less frequent until they no longer feel appropriate in that forum. Either way, it's a change for the worse.

I've seen this in many forums during the past 10 years or so. Streamlining the structure is fine and can certainly be done, but the urge to merge forums just because it makes sense logically always results in a decrease in activity, specialized discussions and forum quality in general.


Not true, in my experience. Deleting sub-forums that are essentially dead all year, if those are the norm (as is the case here) usually leads to an increase in overall activity, and hence, more experienced posters in the sections that people actually check for. A couple dead ones, no big deal, but if most of the front page looks like that...

I sure hope no one checks this board for expert knowledge on CX, or fitness, by the way. And, like I said, you can always add another sub-forum if there are too many (off-topic) posts in a certain section.


Good point about the games forum, though.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,443
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

12 Dec 2013 15:04

Wouldn't mind seeing a science or statistics sub forum. And politics.

Perhaps also a forum dedicated to speculation :rolleyes:
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,428
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

12 Dec 2013 15:24

Games forum is fourth most active in PPD terms :o
Ferminal
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,913
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

12 Dec 2013 15:38

Ferminal wrote:Games forum is fourth most active in PPD terms :o

This order?

PRR
Clinic
Café
Games
Meta
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,918
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

13 Dec 2013 09:57

Hmm... thinking a bit more about this. Maybe the section I've called The Cyclists' Meeting Place could simply consist of two sub-forums:
- Personal stories (for, well, personal stories; whether they be related to where we ride, our equipment, or how to keep in shape.)
- Discussions (For the stories about how cyclists fare around the world.)
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,217
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

13 Dec 2013 10:38

a lot of sensible ideas above ! but don't get me wrong, my personal experience - be it a corporate setting, scientific professional community or (any) sports-related forum - lead me to a firm opinion that most attempts at restructuring/regrouping /reorganizing, unless it was a critical structural flaw, DON'T MATTER...for someone satisfied, there will always be someone grumbling for the status quo, for any increase in content in clicking in one area, there will be loss of content or dilution in another...

i mean the changes may matter in a short term or in the eyes and minds of those behind the changes, but after a while everything settles where it was BEFORE, subject to a gradual, natural change as the community (and its members') interests, tastes and views will have evolved.

did this forum evolve for a big restructuring ? i don't know but i think the forum has to address other bigger problems to liven, broaden and invigorate the community.

such as leadership and spotty moderation...

again, i do not post much nowadays to claim that i know the pulse of most well, but i do read...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,513
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Next

Return to About the forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Back to top