Log in:  

Register

This Forum Is Dying

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

04 Feb 2014 03:23

it is tonight!
I'm a one person posting here almost :D
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,283
Joined: 09 Aug 2010 22:20
Location: co

04 Feb 2014 06:56

Only 15 online right now mew
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,136
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

laflo

04 Feb 2014 10:31

poor laflo having to get up so early..............respectable folk....ladies

gentlemen and bandits are still ensconced in bed

a gentleman should never have to rise before it's light unless they are off

fishing or shooting

Mark L
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,918
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

04 Feb 2014 13:42

How am I surprised?


Talking about Bore and about Pharmstrong and Contadull, 8 days a week, 365 days a years, it must be boring at the end.

90% of CN posters actually don't like cycling, I've always said it.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,982
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

04 Feb 2014 13:43

Echoes wrote:How am I surprised?


Talking about Bore and about Pharmstrong and Contadull, 8 days a week, 365 days a years, it must be boring at the end.

90% of CN posters actually don't like cycling, I've always said it.


I love you.
Cyivel
Member
 
Posts: 1,885
Joined: 05 Aug 2012 22:46

04 Feb 2014 14:39

Cyivel wrote:I love you.


Echoes is a cycling hipster.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,136
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

04 Feb 2014 17:19

Boeing wrote:It's a smart tactic after all H so props for that. singling out one posers name gets you in detention. Starting a reply "you people" doesn't. but same intention...genius really. wish I thought of it.

as for the OP OT. there is nothing like a little George Hincape LA love to fuel this forum again.


I've been trying to figure out a way to say that about Bro ever since I saw him labeled, by another poster of similar seniority, as #1 on the top ten of CN's trolls. It forced me to go back to usenet days, and do quite a bit of research, up until today, on what a troll is. It should suffice to say, imo, that Bro knows the envelope as well as anyone. Nor is he alone, not by any stretch of the imagination. So, why does singling Bro out not get me in detention (at least, not yet)? Perhaps because I am "condemning with faint praise"? Or "praising with faint condemnation"?

But, the point I used Bro for was to illustrate one of the "symptoms" of a declining forum - the rise of a troll as a regular poster. I'm not saying he is a troll - after all, I was being honest when I said I was in the position of having to defend him against that charge. But, if I'm wrong, and the forum is dying, perhaps the accusers were right. Any road, he knows the limits of the envelope, and he is far from the only one. We have a number of, ahem, very colorful "commentators" who are equally guilty of treading upon toes at the dance. I am at a loss as to how to encourage them to be more graceful.

Frankly, I don't think Bro will mind all this. Amof, if his intent were indeed malicious, he would even take some pride in receiving such comments. After all, he is still here to post about it. And I don't think he will mind that not everyone thinks well of him. We all have our detractors, after all. But I've never been sure that he realizes the depths that some people believe him to have sunk to. Nor do I think he realizes, when he says "the forum is dead or dying" - that some other people say he is one of the reasons it is.

On the other hand, I do not think Bro is deaf. I do think he has curtailed some of the snarkiness over the past couple of years. But, if that is truly progress made, what does that do to the "forum is dead, or dying" comments? See the counterpoint?

ebandit wrote:bro killed it................posting so much

Mark L


I like the new bandit icon - cute - and just so history will know - since I'm sure you'll change it again sometime this year for some bet. Froome standing with two aliens - aha - Froomy as Alien! Cute graphics.

Nah - the forem be not dead, yet, matey. The dread "posting statistics" stay flat, year after year. Since THIS flat line indicates a pulse, they be not dead.

Posting stats do not equate to communication value, though. But that is harder to measure. And, my other point, that the value of cynicism (applied to bicycle racing) between 1995 and 2010, was at some sort of record high. It remains for history to tell us whether continued cynicism is justified. My personal opinion is that it has, in some instances, become dogmatic and curmudgeonly.
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
User avatar hiero2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,659
Joined: 10 Jul 2010 19:03
Location: In Descartes' reality

04 Feb 2014 23:39

perhaps this forum is not so much dying of natural causes , as it may have... suicidal tendencies ? ;)

i mean, why would scores and scores of regular not suspended posters, not due to their own computer issues, have persistent problems to log in ?

in the last year or so, i personally had at least 4 incidents when i could not log in. many, who did not walk away entirely, posted the same concern...

at different times i have been a member of about 10 different forums and as many private sites requiring to log in...never i had a as many problems as i had logging on to the cn forums.. when a site was due to go 'off air' due to maintenance or any other issues, it would normally be posted in advance or a redirect message would make everything clear.

not the case with the cn. you just get cut off with some meaningless error message.

sometimes you get lucky to read a post by a good-doer about a work around. but almost never a considered response from the cn it. here i have to give credit to some cn staff for being responsive to emails and messages about the problem.

i am stunned by the cn attitude to this normally small problem

a suicidal negligence, to say the least.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,493
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

06 Feb 2014 05:24

python wrote:perhaps this forum is not so much dying of natural causes , as it may have... suicidal tendencies ? ;)

i mean, why would scores and scores of regular not suspended posters, not due to their own computer issues, have persistent problems to log in ?

in the last year or so, i personally had at least 4 incidents when i could not log in. many, who did not walk away entirely, posted the same concern...

at different times i have been a member of about 10 different forums and as many private sites requiring to log in...never i had a as many problems as i had logging on to the cn forums.. when a site was due to go 'off air' due to maintenance or any other issues, it would normally be posted in advance or a redirect message would make everything clear.

not the case with the cn. you just get cut off with some meaningless error message.

sometimes you get lucky to read a post by a good-doer about a work around. but almost never a considered response from the cn it. here i have to give credit to some cn staff for being responsive to emails and messages about the problem.

i am stunned by the cn attitude to this normally small problem

a suicidal negligence, to say the least.


The CN login problem is, I think, related to the version of vBulletin being used. It seems to be an issue with properly detecting a login/logout on the news pages vs the forum pages. I suspect they are using different database files to store login info. And somehow those files are getting slightly hosed.
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
User avatar hiero2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,659
Joined: 10 Jul 2010 19:03
Location: In Descartes' reality

09 Sep 2015 18:07

rip CN forums. Bro was right all along.
User avatar the sceptic
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,664
Joined: 21 Jul 2012 20:17

Re: This Forum Is Dying

09 Sep 2015 18:09

BroDeal wrote:We all know it is true. Time for the FID thread. This will be version 3 or 4, forget which.

Sceptic since you posted it. I decided to quote Bro for ya.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,308
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

Re:

17 Sep 2015 15:53

the sceptic wrote:rip CN forums. Bro was right all along.


Its like someone is PM'ing people and telling them to leave! :rolleyes:
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,390
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: Re:

17 Sep 2015 17:17

thehog wrote:
the sceptic wrote:rip CN forums. Bro was right all along.


Its like someone is PM'ing people and telling them to leave! :rolleyes:


And the next forum will see through it eventually also...time.
Digger
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,643
Joined: 10 May 2009 17:24

Re: Re:

17 Sep 2015 18:05

Digger wrote:
thehog wrote:
the sceptic wrote:rip CN forums. Bro was right all along.


Its like someone is PM'ing people and telling them to leave! :rolleyes:


And the next forum will see through it eventually also...time.


There is only so long people can talk how amazing JV is :rolleyes:
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,390
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: Re:

17 Sep 2015 18:39

thehog wrote:
Digger wrote:
thehog wrote:
the sceptic wrote:rip CN forums. Bro was right all along.


Its like someone is PM'ing people and telling them to leave! :rolleyes:


And the next forum will see through it eventually also...time.


There is only so long people can talk how amazing JV is :rolleyes:


well jv is apparently top three in the list of those who brought down lance - :eek:
Digger
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,643
Joined: 10 May 2009 17:24

Re: Re:

17 Sep 2015 19:26

Digger wrote:
thehog wrote:
Digger wrote:
thehog wrote:
the sceptic wrote:rip CN forums. Bro was right all along.


Its like someone is PM'ing people and telling them to leave! :rolleyes:


And the next forum will see through it eventually also...time.


There is only so long people can talk how amazing JV is :rolleyes:


well jv is apparently top three in the list of those who brought down lance - :eek:


Walsh, Tygart and JV took down Lance.

JV was pivotal and being honest and direct for so many years, what a straight shooter! :rolleyes:
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,390
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: Re:

17 Sep 2015 20:02

Digger wrote:
thehog wrote:
the sceptic wrote:rip CN forums. Bro was right all along.


Its like someone is PM'ing people and telling them to leave! :rolleyes:


And the next forum will see through it eventually also...time.

Which forum would that be?
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,308
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

Re:

18 May 2016 22:14

hiero2 wrote:Meh. Fools.

Listen - and learn. The forums will not die. Why not? Because there is sufficient NEW influx to replace OLD die-off. So, usage stats will remain appox the same, year to year.

So, how does this fit with YOUR observation that some influential, insider, big-name, whatever posters have left? Well, if you are correct, it means the forums COULD be much bigger than they are.

DO NOT confuse the circumstances thus far described with what has happened historically. Because of the historical sequence of events - with so much stuff covered-up or attempted to be covered-up - the revelations of this forum had an unusual impact on RL events. But, the situation has shifted. Today, the speculations of The Clinic are exactly that: speculations. Not revelations, which is what they were. Revelations masquerading as speculation.

The logical and rational conclusion is not that the forum has decreased in influence, but that the information imparted has decreased in power. The information imparted can not be validated or verified - it is speculative. When, and IF, the data gains validation, the forum information will again become an influential source. But, failing said validation - well - fail.

On the other hand, have posters abandoned this forum? No question, yes. Does that reduce the activity? Eh, no. I think this is due to the connection of the forum to a major cycling news source. So, it is the neighborhood. You won't see any LESS traffic - just because the forum is in a traffic crossroads/intersection. What could happen is that the intersection COULD see much MORE traffic if it were managed appropriately.

I wonder, does this sage observation remain true?
User avatar wrinklyvet
Member
 
Posts: 585
Joined: 03 Mar 2013 22:25

06 Jun 2016 18:39

I'm going to take a break. Too bad because I enjoy a lot of the other members discussions and other members here. I will probably be back, hopefully not for a while.
"This comment qualifies as a shining example of the "anyone who disagrees with my perspective is a dolt" leftist, intolerant mish-mash of shallow thinking." - Scott SoCal
User avatar frenchfry
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,279
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 14:28
Location: Bourgogne

13 Jun 2016 01:00

So the conversion of PRR to an index is finally complete it seems. At least The Clinic again proves its sanity by holding out for now, sort of (for how long?).
Ferminal
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,910
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

Back to top