Register

Heal Soon, Rhubroma

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderators: Daniel Benson, Susan Westemeyer, Irondan

05 Mar 2014 01:12

I guess the upside to this is you'll get to spend a lot more time writing your excellent posts on here.

Has the driver been charged, were they sorry?

All the best.
With all the changes you've been through, seems the stranger's always you
User avatar Stingray34

05 Mar 2014 01:56

hopefully you can use the down time to further your studies and come to the conclusion that Scott is, of course, correct on all things in the politics thread :D

but seriously, I'm thankful we're reading about an injury and not an obituary. I hope the recovery is speedy and you're back on the bike very soon.
patricknd

05 Mar 2014 02:48

Scott SoCal wrote:
I'm not sure how bad the injuries are Rhub, but you are ornery enough where I'm actually wondering how bad the damage to the car was.:p

I'll bet the damage was severe, Scott. You know Rube always tries to stop anyone from turning to the right.
Merckx index

05 Mar 2014 06:55

Get well soon.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

05 Mar 2014 07:20

Stingray34 wrote:I guess the upside to this is you'll get to spend a lot more time writing your excellent posts on here.

Has the driver been charged, were they sorry?

All the best.

Thanks Stingray. No, the driver hasn't been charged yet. However, I'm in contact with a lawyer and building a case. At least he didn't flee the scene, for which the police also took his info. He just kept repeating, somewhat in a daze, mi spiace, non ti ho visto (Sorry, I didn’t see you) I was, needless to say, in such agony at the time that I was in no condition to follow up on what the police where doing. They took my story and then I was put into an ambulance and sent to hospital.

I had a good riding friend, who I called from my cell phone before going to the emergency room, come and fetch my destroyed bike. At the scene the police, who were still there, as was the delivery truck driver, told my friend that he made the same turn to enter the driveway of the tire salesman as the delivery truck immediately next to the scene. In fact the delivery truck was turning in there when he cut me off. Due to the double white stripes at that spot, however, which was only about 100 meters from a traffic light, the police told my friend that neither he, nor the delivery truck driver was allowed to make that turn.

Consequently not only did he cut me off, but turned where that wasn't permited by the street code. Seems like I thus have an air tight case. The only thing is I have to wait 90 days to get the police reports, though I can request the driver's insurance info. before.

In short, I've got a lawyer on it and am just trying to heal in the meanwhile.

I've got a second appointment for x-rays today and then either this afternoon, or tomorrow morning, the orthopedic medic will come to my flat and tell me the prognosis.

I have never been on my back in bed this long before and I can say that the pain is still constant after a week, whereas the nights are always the worst.

Hopefully the orthopedic will be able to give me a better idea with the new x-rays regarding how long I can expect to still be in this much pain, and what type of timetable I'm facing before I can resume normal activity more or less.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

05 Mar 2014 07:25

Merckx index wrote:I'll bet the damage was severe, Scott. You know Rube always tries to stop anyone from turning to the right.

Ha, ha, ha...that was really bad. :p
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

05 Mar 2014 07:26

patricknd wrote:hopefully you can use the down time to further your studies and come to the conclusion that Scott is, of course, correct on all things in the politics thread :D

but seriously, I'm thankful we're reading about an injury and not an obituary. I hope the recovery is speedy and you're back on the bike very soon.

Amen. And thanks patricknd.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

05 Mar 2014 07:26

Zam_Olyas wrote:Get well soon.

Peace and grazie!
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

05 Mar 2014 13:29

rhubroma wrote:Thanks Stingray. No, the driver hasn't been charged yet. However, I'm in contact with a lawyer and building a case. At least he didn't flee the scene, for which the police also took his info. He just kept repeating, somewhat in a daze, mi spiace, non ti ho visto (Sorry, I didn’t see you) I was, needless to say, in such agony at the time that I was in no condition to follow up on what the police where doing. They took my story and then I was put into an ambulance and sent to hospital.

I had a good riding friend, who I called from my cell phone before going to the emergency room, come and fetch my destroyed bike. At the scene the police, who were still there, as was the delivery truck driver, told my friend that he made the same turn to enter the driveway of the tire salesman as the delivery truck immediately next to the scene. In fact the delivery truck was turning in there when he cut me off. Due to the double white stripes at that spot, however, which was only about 100 meters from a traffic light, the police told my friend that neither he, nor the delivery truck driver was allowed to make that turn.

Consequently not only did he cut me off, but turned where that wasn't permited by the street code. Seems like I thus have an air tight case. The only thing is I have to wait 90 days to get the police reports, though I can request the driver's insurance info. before.

In short, I've got a lawyer on it and am just trying to heal in the meanwhile.

I've got a second appointment for x-rays today and then either this afternoon, or tomorrow morning, the orthopedic medic will come to my flat and tell me the prognosis.

I have never been on my back in bed this long before and I can say that the pain is still constant after a week, whereas the nights are always the worst.

Hopefully the orthopedic will be able to give me a better idea with the new x-rays regarding how long I can expect to still be in this much pain, and what type of timetable I'm facing before I can resume normal activity more or less.

Yikes. Not sure of your exact injuries, but I can offer this;

Take the pain meds. Seriously. Don't try and he-man it. Do what the doctors tell you and control your pain.

That's all I've got. Keep us in the loop.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

05 Mar 2014 13:35

Sorry to hear this, I wish you luck and a speedy recovery. Glad to hear you've got the legal process figured out and going and that it didn't turn out worse.

Take your time and get plenty of rest and you'll be back on the bike in no time.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

05 Mar 2014 13:39

Scott SoCal wrote:Yikes. Not sure of your exact injuries, but I can offer this;

Take the pain meds. Seriously. Don't try and he-man it. Do what the doctors tell you and control your pain.

That's all I've got. Keep us in the loop.

Thanks Scott and I will keep you in the loop.

Cheers
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

05 Mar 2014 13:40

Afrank wrote:Sorry to hear this, I wish you luck and a speedy recovery. Glad to hear you've got the legal process figured out and going and that it didn't turn out worse.

Take your time and get plenty of rest and you'll be back on the bike in no time.

Thanks AFrank!
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

05 Mar 2014 14:33

rhubroma wrote:Thanks Scott and I will keep you in the loop.

Cheers

Yes, please keep us in the loop and keep shooting Scott through the hoop in ze politics thread. :D :p
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

05 Mar 2014 15:03

Zam_Olyas wrote:Yes, please keep us in the loop and keep shooting Scott through the hoop in ze politics thread. :D :p

All this warmth has begun to soften me up. I'm almost touched.

I'll have to read his posts several times, as training, to get ornery again.:D
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

05 Mar 2014 20:32

Wow, thats pretty bad, get well soon roma!
il Mito wrote:“I’m in pension, I don’t give a **** about training,” Ferrari said. “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?”
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

06 Mar 2014 01:51

Many years ago I hit a dog that crossed right in front of me while I was riding very fast. I was thrown off the bike and landed on my back. While the accident was nothing like yours—nothing broken—I was bedridden for a couple of days, unable to move without intense pain. As soon as I could move enough to get out of bed, though, I got on the bike and found that hard rides were great pain-killers. For hours afterwards, there was no pain at all. That was just about the time natural opiates were coming to be appreciated—I was actually involved in some of that research myself--and there isn’t much doubt in my mind that that was going on. Exercise is a wonderful analgesic.

So when you finally are released from the hospital and can move around some, keep that in mind if you still have pain issues. I certainly agree with Scott—as I told you before in another thread—don’t skimp on the PEDs, but when you’re strong enough to ride you may find that will help a lot.
Merckx index

06 Mar 2014 01:54

Fearless Greg Lemond wrote:Wow, thats pretty bad, get well soon roma!

Thanks!...
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

06 Mar 2014 02:12

Merckx index wrote:Many years ago I hit a dog that crossed right in front of me while I was riding very fast. I was thrown off the bike and landed on my back. While the accident was nothing like yours—nothing broken—I was bedridden for a couple of days, unable to move without intense pain. As soon as I could move enough to get out of bed, though, I got on the bike and found that hard rides were great pain-killers. For hours afterwards, there was no pain at all. That was just about the time natural opiates were coming to be appreciated—I was actually involved in some of that research myself--and there isn’t much doubt in my mind that that was going on. Exercise is a wonderful analgesic.

So when you finally are released from the hospital and can move around some, keep that in mind if you still have pain issues. I certainly agree with Scott—as I told you before in another thread—don’t skimp on the PEDs, but when you’re strong enough to ride you may find that will help a lot.

Thanks for sharing. Well, I just want to get out of bed! Hopefully this morning the orthopedic will tell me I can start being on my feet.

As far as natural opiates are concerned they work only in certain cases. A month ago I had banged up ribs from a fall on wet roads and riding made the pain go away. In 2009, however, I crashed in a race at high speed and fractured my coccyx. In that case, because I didn't go to the hospital for x-rays at the time, I tried to ride in the ensuing days but it was to no avail. When I went for x-rays and was diagnosed the medic couldn't believe that I actually road the following days with a broken coccyx! In fact, that was stupid because it only prolonged the healing. On another occasion a scooter ploughed into me, but luckily no broken bones, although I was laid up for about ten days with general pain and whiplash. Then I got "doored" by someone and ripped open my finger to the bone. That only required about 20 stitches though, but I landed on my coccyx again which hurt like hell for about 2 weeks after.

After this latest incident I'm beginning to call myself crash test dummy. :D:o

Can't wait to get back on my bike!
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

06 Mar 2014 02:15

gheez rhubs …
starting to think differently about you :eek:;)
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

06 Mar 2014 02:30

mewmewmew13 wrote:gheez rhubs …
starting to think differently about you :eek:;)

Ha, ha! The Italians call me il guerriero ("the warrior")!
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum