Register

Heal Soon, Rhubroma

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderators: Daniel Benson, Susan Westemeyer, Irondan

06 Mar 2014 12:57

Saw the orthopedic doctor this morning. After analyzing my new x-rays he said I need to remain in bed, to not put any weight on my spine, until a month since the incident is over.

Three more weeks. Thirty freakin days in bed on my back! I need a shrink.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

06 Mar 2014 13:27

Wow that's awful man!

Though, if I know you a little bit, I'm sure there's some intresting literature that's waiting to be read by you coming thirty days!
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

06 Mar 2014 13:41

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Wow that's awful man!

Though, if I know you a little bit, I'm sure there's some intresting literature that's waiting to be read by you coming thirty days!

Thanks, however, since I'm fairly restless, cycling has always helped me calm down and be able to focus on my literary pursuits, research, etc.

I'm too pi$$ed off and aggravated right now to get into anything serious, but I do have lots of work to do. I’ll try to just ease into this involuntary confinement. The Neapolitans say you have to take life with philosophy. Anyone know a philosopher?
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

12 Apr 2014 06:19

rhubroma wrote:Thanks, however, since I'm fairly restless, cycling has always helped me calm down and be able to focus on my literary pursuits, research, etc.

I'm too pi$$ed off and aggravated right now to get into anything serious, but I do have lots of work to do. I’ll try to just ease into this involuntary confinement. The Neapolitans say you have to take life with philosophy. Anyone know a philosopher?

...the Camorra are impossing an interesting sort of philosophy around Naples I hear. I think it's called dioxin?

Unfortunate circumstance you're in for certain, another blow to the empire that you'll survive. I suffered something similar during a bike race in Belgium decades ago but it was my head that bore the brunt *explains much*.:o
7-11 becomes a convenience store...and the ancient Egyptians wept.
RetroActive

12 Apr 2014 09:35

crap Rhubroma, that isnt good at all.

and a MONTH :eek: .... at least if you had the giro on it would make the time go faster, but you dont even have that.

Hope you get well soon
User avatar AussieGoddess

12 Apr 2014 10:22

p.s. Speaking of philosophy have you ever read Journey to the End of the Night by Celine? It's quite funny. "lucky *******". :D
7-11 becomes a convenience store...and the ancient Egyptians wept.
RetroActive

12 Apr 2014 11:56

Just read this, so sorry to hear about your accident :( Get better as quickly as possible!!! At least you have a computer to keep you somewhat occupied!

In my older age I'm frightened to ride on the roads anymore; to much traffic. So I transport the bike to the bike path via car these days. Reading about your accident has not alleviated any fears!

Stay optimistic and watch a lot of old races between reading and phone chats!!!

Best,

Carol
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

13 Apr 2014 01:10

Just read this. Hoping you heal quickly and completely. As others have said, keep us in the loop.
[SIZE="3"]Not sure I even care anymore...[/SIZE]
User avatar ChewbaccaD
Veteran

13 Apr 2014 02:55

Wow. Just read this myself. Not been around here much of late.

Ok. Rhubroma - chapeau for being il professore in RL, if that is the RL case.

2nd - stick with the docs advice - up to about 75%. Listen to what your body says, too. But very very carefully. Fractures like this are nothing to mess with. On the other hand, you can heal mightily faster if you know your body, and work it right.

Funny stuff - funny movies, funny radio shows, anything that makes you laugh that you can engage whilst remaining immobile - do it. Laughter is the best medicine.

Exercise - your doc says no stress for 30 days. Ok - then after that, focus on short time-involvement stretching and core work. No 30 minute workouts - but if you feel like stretching a little, do what feels ok. Yoga is super. Forward bends, child's pose - easy stuff that can be done very very minimally - to the limits your body will accept. Given your starting condition, you may be able to move to a plow position quite rapidly. The trick is not to push. If you are in good condition, as you indicate, you will want to do less than you think you can. But, in my experience, usually more than the doctors are keen on.

Some very short-time-involvement weight sets can be a great recovery aid. Not totally maxing out @ 3 reps, but not too far behind that. Nothing @ 40-50 reps - not going there. Low reps, and below max capacity. Enough to get the muscles and tendons "excited", but not stressed. To a cardio workout type - like a cyclist - this kind of weight workout almost won't feel like a workout. But 30 seconds AFTER you lift - you'll see some heartrate elevation etc.

Spine is a bit trickier, but only because the risk is higher. I've done this for other major bones, but not the spine. However, convalesced with others who had spinal issues.

Ok, now shut my mouth and stop the advice.

Good luck. Heal quickly. Patience is a wonderful thing (meditation aids patience). Shucks - what more can one say? Obviously the community is concerned regarding your accident.
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
User avatar hiero2

13 Apr 2014 23:27

Holy crap ... I've been out of the loop!

Terrible news and lying in bed must have nearly made you crazy. That's harder than hard.

Are you able to be up and about now?
JimmyFingers wrote:Look I no way dispute Wiggins ... he is doping, he's at it all the time, and has been for years.
User avatar Ripper

04 May 2014 18:11

Are you feeling a bit better?
JimmyFingers wrote:Look I no way dispute Wiggins ... he is doping, he's at it all the time, and has been for years.
User avatar Ripper

04 May 2014 18:12

Ripper wrote:Are you feeling a bit better?

Yes thanx for the bump here Ripper

I hope you made it through the bed rest thing Rhubs..:(
wishing you the best!
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

07 May 2014 08:00

I hadn't noticed this thread until now, very sorry to hear of Rhubroma accident. Hope healing processes are working well and always appreciate your posts.
rainman

07 May 2014 18:39

Very late on this news. Best wishes on not going crazy lying down for a month.

Maybe try to learn something new to pass the time?
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

07 May 2014 20:03

Hey, Rhub! (Do you pronounce that like rube?)

How's the old static mode comin' along? Btw - you asked for a philosopher. You qualify. Therefore, be ye not overly excited when you answer yer own questions.

I ain't sure if bein' a philosphor means you glow in the dark with all yer wisdom. Not even sure if it guarantees wisdom - I'd say not, unless you're Will Rogers or Samuel Clemens.

But just wonderin' how all that lying down was doin'.

Cheers;
H
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
User avatar hiero2

09 May 2014 03:44

Ah man, sad to hear this. I just noticed the thread. I hope you heal quickly rhubs.
User avatar Moose McKnuckles
Veteran

16 Jun 2014 07:18

another latecomer to this thread… i hate to hear about something like this :(

being in pain is just no fun -- sucks the life out of you when it's 24/7 (and, yeah, the nights are always the worst).

any updates?

get well soon, rhubroma!
[SIZE="2"]______________
sempre con noi[/SIZE]
User avatar thirteen

02 Sep 2014 21:51

hi Rhubs...
how are you doing as of late? :)
I hope you are back to being your old self?
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

Previous

Return to About the forum