Register

A routes and ride planning sub-forum?

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderators: Daniel Benson, Susan Westemeyer, Irondan

29 Aug 2014 03:54

Race Radio wrote:Great idea. Would be nice to have a portion of the forum that is collaborative instead of confrontational

Netserk wrote:I'm not sure there would be enough traffic to merit that. Other than that, it does indeed sound good.

del1962 wrote:Why not just create a thread in the general road section and see how it goes?

Race Radio wrote:As there are no real costs in adding a section like this I can't see how it would hurt.

Would be interesting to share ideas on routes or stories like this one.

http://blog.strava.com/in-search-of-a-tunnel-in-the-sky-8417/

King Boonen wrote:Because it's designed to fail that way. How can you have a discussion about route planning or rides for a myriad different rides in a single thread? It would be like having a single thread to discuss the whole of the three grand tours including months of build up and post race analysis.

First off - no.

Ok, now we have gotten that out of the way, let's talk about how you might actually, in reality, make your idea happen.

1. Start a thread.
2. Get some response.
3. Get a LOT of response.
4. Evaluate #3. If you get a LOT of response, the powers who be at the board will consider a new section.
5. Be extremely persuasive with the "powers that be" over the forum. Eg, Daniel. Convince him, and you've made your mark. But, I really think you will need to do well at #3 to convince Dan.
6. Good luck. And best wishes from me.
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
User avatar hiero2

29 Aug 2014 06:56

hiero2 wrote:First off - no.

Ok, now we have gotten that out of the way, let's talk about how you might actually, in reality, make your idea happen.

1. Start a thread.
2. Get some response.
3. Get a LOT of response.
4. Evaluate #3. If you get a LOT of response, the powers who be at the board will consider a new section.
5. Be extremely persuasive with the "powers that be" over the forum. Eg, Daniel. Convince him, and you've made your mark. But, I really think you will need to do well at #3 to convince Dan.
6. Good luck. And best wishes from me.

Err... No. I've pointed out why I won't start a single thread that could encompass routes from all over the world, it would be a massive mess and very difficult to search and hold any type of real conversation.

There is a large knowledge base on this forum, with many people who ride bikes all over the world and I think it could be a great resource and even an asset to cycling news.

But I'm not going to start some kind of petition or lobby group and try and convince people in charge, if they don't want to do it that's up to them.

It works very well on other sites, the evidence is already out there. If they don't want it here I believe that's their loss.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

29 Aug 2014 08:07

hiero2 wrote:First off - no.

Since you're no longer a mod, would you mind refraining from all the "mod" stuff? Thanks.
User avatar Granville57

29 Aug 2014 13:40

Granville57 wrote:Since you're no longer a mod, would you mind refraining from all the "mod" stuff? Thanks.

Perhaps in going for brevity at the start, I mispoke, or misled as to my meaning. The simple "no" answer does not mean "no, you can't do that". It does mean " - aren't likely to get any joy trying to accomplish that goal" - as in extremely unlikely, imo. Just offering the benefit of my experience, based on conversations held in the past.

Because, if somebody likes the idea, then I think they SHOULD pursue it. Thought I made that clear, apologies if I did not. But I still think the best option to accomplish the stated goal is to generate traffic as I've said. I'm not saying one should not ask anyway - but the person they need to ask is Dan. And probably need to ask him directly, via email, if they want it to happen.
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
User avatar hiero2

01 Sep 2014 14:45

Have a look through here:

http://inrng.com/roads

Yes, inrng is a high quality writer and we couldn't expect everyone to produce posts of his quality. But it is impossible to read any of those and not be inspired.

Again, I think it would be a huge asset.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

10 Jan 2015 14:54

Bit late to the party, but I think its a great idea
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Previous

Return to About the forum