Updated/New
26%
Previous/Old
65%
Don't know yet/Cant decide
10%

Total votes : 31

13 Mar 2015 14:38

The short message that a post has been submitted is really annoying to me (unnecessary delay), but otherwise it looks like an improvement on the balance.

Text is small, but just use the browser's magnifier feature.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

13 Mar 2015 14:48

I have little doubt that the backend behind this version is much better. (its not my first PhPbb transition).

In a week, once some bugs are ironed out it will be much better looking than it is right now.
User avatar Catwhoorg

Re:

13 Mar 2015 15:30

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I agree it's definitely faster, and cleaner. I do however agree with most of the input. I have very good vision, and the font type is pretty small to me too.

I can't seem to figure out how to multi-quote, like you could in the last forum. Anyone figure out if it's possible?

I notice in the Babes on Bikes thread all the photos were cut off. Really sucks. Probably my biggest complaint. If we're going to limit file sizes, then at least make them forced to scale.

The pics in chaos and cuisine are also askew.
YouTube embedding is needed.
I'm old and confused the buttons on top are not making sense to me but it seems we have less options than before.
oh yeah text is a little on the small side
A plus I now have AdBlock turned off your ads are not as intrusive at this point. Cyclingnews was the only site on the web I blocked. Also ads with sound that come on unwanted warrant adblock.

at first impression the change looks pretty good but the response from Immediate Media has been a most welcome change

Let's get chaos back on track. I have a backlog of 9000 pics waiting to be posted and cyclingnews is already about 18 months behind.
let us now put are chaos ducks in a row.

Oh just as a side note Babes on Bikes is sacred. If you take time and look back it almost shut down the forum when it was closed.
User avatar krebs303
Veteran

13 Mar 2015 16:38

I am a heavy user of the new posts feature. 1 click to list all the new posts in all the categories since my last visit. If this forum does this I have not figured how yet. Oh and a mark all subjects read to go with it. I see it can be done but by visiting each category and clicking all read.
Has a clean look and as soon as I can get around I think I can adjust.
User avatar Master50

13 Mar 2015 22:31

todays is better than yesterdays but it's still a reet pile......................can't see me posting again until quality/ ease matches
previous

but it is way quicker...........and with luck protected from failing due to stellar tour performances..............?

Mark L

edit just noticed i'm a junior newbie again..............cool!
User avatar ebandit

14 Mar 2015 13:40

I dunno. It's probably just a case of needing to get used to the change but I kinda think the new layout makes the text look smaller...
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

15 Mar 2015 19:27

Another case of "New and Improved" not being what it's cracked up to be. This format has totally ruined the most viewed thread on the forum. Babes on Bikes is no longer properly manageable. So I will be ceasing to contribute to that thread. Did the modification that has rendered this thread useless really have to be put in place to achieve the goals that needed to be met. It seems to me either very shortsighted, or it was a deliberate effort to destroy this thread and justify that the thread was just a casualty of progress and change. Such an impactful change should not have been needed. But hey, it's your site, have it your way. I just know that I am not going to "just get used to it" It's time for me to move on too. There are plenty of other cycling sources online. Enjoy yourselves
nowhereman

Re: New Layout of Forum - Good or Bad

15 Mar 2015 19:33

I don't like the fact that if you press quote on a post which already has 3 quotes, all the quotes turn up in your edit box, but then when you press post it tells you you can't have that many quotes, wtf. This morning I quoted a MI post which had like 7 seperate quotations. Then when I pressed post it said I had to cut down the quotations to 3. So I had to manually, on my phone edit out all these other quotations that weren't even meaningful to my post anyway. WTF was wrong with the old system. You quote only the post you want to. If you want to add others, you can do that manually.

Also I don't know where the smileys are. And I don't think its neccesary to reask if you want to post if someone else posts before you.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re:

15 Mar 2015 22:52

Chris wrote:The polls are something else we've got on our list of things to fix.

Lots of stuff will be getting fixed/updating in the coming days/weeks. Migrating all the data over from the old forum and releasing it this way was the necessary evil which now allows us to fix the forum up so it's more user friendly and has all the features people want.

vBulletin was very aged and was starting to be a security concern. We'll get much more life out of this one. :]

@patricknd: We're working on a fix for that now.

The one complain that I have is the fact that the library of the race design thread is no longer working, that's a real shame. I feel bad for Libertine, he put a lot of work into it an made this forum an even better place.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

Re:

16 Mar 2015 13:19

hrotha wrote:It's a simple fact of internet design that nobody likes change, then they get used to it. It's way too soon to judge, especially when many of the intended features haven't been ported yet.

This is absolutely true. Having said that, I can't recall ever having been so totally turned off to any forum upgrade since I started using forums in 1999. There is way too much white, set off by light gray and darker gray, with bright orange blobs. Revolting.

I think this look is horrendous. While I don't claim to be any kind of expert, I'm pretty sure that pages don't 'have to' look like this. At least there has been communication from the developers this time, which is a step in the right direction.
User avatar Amsterhammer

16 Mar 2015 13:27

It'll take a little while to get used to, but so far I quite like it. It's much quicker, I don't have a problem with any of the text size and I like the cleaner look.

It would be nice to be able to see the last thread posted in from the board index like the last forum, I found that very useful. Any way that can be added?
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

16 Mar 2015 16:29

I've added a "View New Posts" link and a "Mark Forums Read" link to the board index. We'll be posting more as we update things over in the main feedback thread, so please continue with any comments there:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28288&start=220
Pete Gale
Front End / UI Developer
Immediate Media
Pete
Development Team

Re: Re:

16 Mar 2015 17:09

krebs303 wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:I agree it's definitely faster, and cleaner. I do however agree with most of the input. I have very good vision, and the font type is pretty small to me too.

I can't seem to figure out how to multi-quote, like you could in the last forum. Anyone figure out if it's possible?

I notice in the Babes on Bikes thread all the photos were cut off. Really sucks. Probably my biggest complaint. If we're going to limit file sizes, then at least make them forced to scale.

The pics in chaos and cuisine are also askew.
YouTube embedding is needed.
I'm old and confused the buttons on top are not making sense to me but it seems we have less options than before.
oh yeah text is a little on the small side
A plus I now have AdBlock turned off your ads are not as intrusive at this point. Cyclingnews was the only site on the web I blocked. Also ads with sound that come on unwanted warrant adblock.

at first impression the change looks pretty good but the response from Immediate Media has been a most welcome change

Let's get chaos back on track. I have a backlog of 9000 pics waiting to be posted and cyclingnews is already about 18 months behind.
let us now put are chaos ducks in a row.

Oh just as a side note Babes on Bikes is sacred. If you take time and look back it almost shut down the forum when it was closed.

I couldn't agree more, especially with the bold..

I am now seeing smilies for the first time. Good job.
User avatar Amsterhammer

Re:

16 Mar 2015 18:32

nowhereman wrote:Another case of "New and Improved" not being what it's cracked up to be. This format has totally ruined the most viewed thread on the forum. Babes on Bikes is no longer properly manageable. So I will be ceasing to contribute to that thread. Did the modification that has rendered this thread useless really have to be put in place to achieve the goals that needed to be met. It seems to me either very shortsighted, or it was a deliberate effort to destroy this thread and justify that the thread was just a casualty of progress and change. Such an impactful change should not have been needed. But hey, it's your site, have it your way. I just know that I am not going to "just get used to it" It's time for me to move on too. There are plenty of other cycling sources online. Enjoy yourselves

Red alert!!

We cannot let this happen, people! BoB must not die!
User avatar Amsterhammer

Re: New Layout of Forum - Good or Bad

16 Mar 2015 19:30

Bad.

I will check back later with the hope it is better than now.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

16 Mar 2015 20:31

Am I the only one not seeing any results of this poll?
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re:

16 Mar 2015 23:37

Armchair cyclist wrote:Am I the only one not seeing any results of this poll?

I'm sure I saw somewhere that polls don't work yet, but they're 'working on it'.
User avatar Amsterhammer

17 Mar 2015 03:30

Obviously neither this forum nor the previous version were mobile-formatted. This version, though, will not stop twitching and jumping around on my phone. I'm going to try it in a non-Safari browser, but so far it feels closer to listserv and 1997 than the Interwebs of 2015.
skippythepinhead

17 Mar 2015 11:24

this is a test - font colour works !

Bold works !

smilies: work !
:) :D :rolleyes: :p

quotation
works !

navigation to the latest post from the board index - yep, works !

hyper linking ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/
seems not working for me, but i saw it did for others... :cool:

Edit: thanks to pete, it works now !

can't speak for others, but this is more than 90% to make me happy...

what else ? oh, yeah, for those who want to stay logged in for longer than 1hr (after which an auto cut off seems to kick in), it is easy - just check the appropriate box during the log in !

overall, GOOD JOB developers, and dont get discouraged by the few who bitch and moan.

font size ? works for me. i guess for some it still is too small, but i would think it is highly dependent on the browser...i use fire fox
User avatar python
Veteran

17 Mar 2015 19:00

I don't really like it, but that may come. What I do like is how the quoting works now
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum