26%
Previous/Old
65%
Don't know yet/Cant decide
10%

Total votes : 31

New Layout of Forum - Good or Bad

12 Mar 2015 21:31

Simple: which do you prefer, the new cycling news forum or the previous one and why?
User avatar Ruby United

12 Mar 2015 21:52

PhPbb is a lot quicker than the very old version of vbulletin they were using
It will take them a few days to get all the css right so it looks a bit more "familiar"

That said, there are elements of Phpbb that are very annoying.

And polls dont work ;)
The only good is knowledge, the only evil is ignorance.
TheGame

Re: New Layout of Forum - Good or Bad

12 Mar 2015 22:55

Ruby United wrote:Simple: which do you prefer, the new cycling news forum or the previous one and why?

The new format is better with the exception of the tiny font used in the text of postings the txt is dwarfed by signatures and way too small for 74 yr old eyes
BLRC15

13 Mar 2015 01:58

Can't quite decide yet, it takes time to learn/get used to something new.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

13 Mar 2015 03:45

The previous one. Without a tiny doubt.
Now it´s unreadable. Friends are lost. Log-ins are difficult. My GGTG intro & standings look ugly now. I can´t find things as easy as before. I can´t see anymore in which threads I posted. All the commercials blink here and there to distract me. And that was only a few things I realized in 5 mins. I guess there are more details (which made things worse) which I will find out later.

In short: Everything went downhill!!! If it wasn´t for the GGTG, I would give up now.
The last overhaul made things worse than the original edition, but this one tops it all (in a negative way).

"Smiley": Mad (don´t know how to make new ones, and it doesnt really matter anyway...)
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

Re: New Layout of Forum - Good or Bad

13 Mar 2015 06:05

Have been lurking for years, only time felt the need to post, do not like this format, like foxxy said difficult to read,

Also krebs said

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:35 pm
As the sun sets in the west we can see the last posts in the chaos thread and bid adieu to it. the new format is not chaos friendly
krebs over and out

Has to be bad !!

Dunc.
Lurkerbot1
Newly Registered Member

13 Mar 2015 06:22

Actually, how many of us are being tested beta, and on which browser?
User avatar Tricycle Rider

13 Mar 2015 10:08

sucks big ones. how do you click on a quote in a post to go back to that post to see what prompted the response in the one quoted? in the old format you can one click back through a conversation without having to search manually
patricknd

13 Mar 2015 10:13

The polls are something else we've got on our list of things to fix.

Lots of stuff will be getting fixed/updating in the coming days/weeks. Migrating all the data over from the old forum and releasing it this way was the necessary evil which now allows us to fix the forum up so it's more user friendly and has all the features people want.

vBulletin was very aged and was starting to be a security concern. We'll get much more life out of this one. :]

@patricknd: We're working on a fix for that now.
Chris
Development Team

13 Mar 2015 10:18

it's ok. no big deal difference. new is better
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

Re:

13 Mar 2015 10:37

Chris wrote:The polls are something else we've got on our list of things to fix.

Lot's of stuff will be getting fixed/updating in the coming days/weeks. Migrating all the data over from the old forum and releasing it this way was the necessary evil which now allows us to fix the forum up so it's more user friendly and has all the features people want.

vBulletin was very aged and was starting to be a security concern. We'll get much more life out of this one. :]

@patricknd: We're working on a fix for that now.
take your time, chris. personally, i can wait and i trust your good intentions.

i would also like to command your team for the immediate 'non-usable' improvements that stand in stark contrast to the previous practice/attitude. specifically, there is a an obvious and genuine communication of the IT folks with forumites intended at fixing stuff asap.

as for suggestions, it would be nice to be able to open the last post in a sub-forum straight from a board index view, just like it was possible be in the old forum.
User avatar python
Veteran

13 Mar 2015 10:47

Thanks Python, your support is much appreciated.

Regarding your suggestion, you mean where you can see the name and date of the last poster and click that to take you to the last post? That too is on our list of things to get fixed :)
Chris
Development Team

Re:

13 Mar 2015 10:53

Chris wrote:Thanks Python, your support is much appreciated.

Regarding your suggestion, you mean where you can see the name and date of the last poster and click that to take you to the last post? That too is on our list of things to get fixed :)

Yes. Before there was a button next to the name that took you to the very last post. If you clicked on the thread title it took you to the last unread post in that thread.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

13 Mar 2015 11:27

Chris wrote:Thanks Python, your support is much appreciated.

I think this has been mentioned already but the font size of the quoted posts is quite small, tough on us old guys.
User avatar frenchfry

13 Mar 2015 12:15

I agree it's definitely faster, and cleaner. I do however agree with most of the input. I have very good vision, and the font type is pretty small to me too.

I can't seem to figure out how to multi-quote, like you could in the last forum. Anyone figure out if it's possible?

I notice in the Babes on Bikes thread all the photos were cut off. Really sucks. Probably my biggest complaint. If we're going to limit file sizes, then at least make them forced to scale.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

13 Mar 2015 12:22

It's a simple fact of internet design that nobody likes change, then they get used to it. It's way too soon to judge, especially when many of the intended features haven't been ported yet.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

13 Mar 2015 12:46

I think when I get used to it it will be better
del1962
Veteran

13 Mar 2015 13:01

Well I couldn't register before as it didn't give me the anti-spam box to fill in, but said I needed to fill it. Have now registered, but no option for me to have an avatar or a signature.
Joelsim

Re:

13 Mar 2015 14:00

hrotha wrote:It's a simple fact of internet design that nobody likes change, then they get used to it. It's way too soon to judge, especially when many of the intended features haven't been ported yet.

Can't get used to text that is too small
BLRC15

13 Mar 2015 14:30

New software is fine. Layout and design is better. Some things I used all the time aren't there anymore. I liked clicking on the box/arrow to get to the last post in a thread from the forum level. Don't see a way to do that. Also annoying that you have to click "take me to my last post" instead of it just happening automatically.

Personally I publish than review what I wrote. I don't spend a lot of time drafting and editing before I publish. I always want to be taken straight back to the last post I put up. Others may feel differently.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

Next

Return to About the forum