Log in:  

Register

Welcome to our two new mods!

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

Re: Welcome to our two new mods!

26 Jun 2015 15:43

Zam_Olyas wrote:LofreakingL

Zam I think you would be a good mod :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,164
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re:

26 Jun 2015 15:44

darwin553 wrote:Bigmac? You're kidding me right? Just like that great decision to anoint Afrank a moderator - this won't last. Mark my words.

Nothing wrong with Afrank as a mod
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,164
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re:

26 Jun 2015 15:45

Netserk wrote:Ok. Apparently you think it's a valid reason to exclude someone from a discussion because of their nationality.


I would like to add: May the mods can remind all users in this forum:
There is one great option to prevent being felt disturbed by differing opinions:
Discuss matters in private messages.
May there are more options than this one? For example: I don´t know if the old "ignore user button" is "hidden" somewhere (which is/was also a great option to not being felt disturbed by members with different opinions). If so could the mods please tell us all about it?
Thanks in advance. :)
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,378
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 12:35
Location: Germany

26 Jun 2015 16:04

You just click on their username and then on 'add foe', though iirc you cannot ignore mods.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,912
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

26 Jun 2015 16:10

Thanks FYI Netserk.
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,378
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 12:35
Location: Germany

Re: Re:

26 Jun 2015 18:58

BigMac wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:
Netserk wrote:So because he doesn't share your views about a subject, he should stay out of the topic?


Not at all about not sharing my views. He, as a Portuguese (I believe) with knowledge of US history entirely from books, was trying to tell Americans how we were wrong for being disgusted by the symbolism of the Confederate flag. He was trying to tell us that he knew better about something that he simply could not possibly 'know better' about because he's not American. It's an emotional heritage thing, that no non-American can 'feel' in the same way. That's all. He posted loads of really silly things, and eventually shut up about the flag.

So no, this has nothing to do with someone simply not sharing my views. This was someone being totally off base, and (at first) not being willing to listen to reason.


As I suspected. I wasn't trying to tell you how you were wrong for being disgusted by the symbolism of the Confederate flag per se, I acknowledge it's undeniable affinity with slavery. I entered the discussion when it was suggested everyone bearing it was racist, and that the only possible thing it could symbolize was racial prejudice. I explained there that I wasn't defending it's use in the State House's grounds (though I didn't condemn it either), which got ignored, and was followed by mockery. If things were as clear and universally accepted amongst Americans as you claim, then you would not have opposition, and everybody against the flag's ban would be from outside of the US, which is not true. For the record, there was at least someone from the US who posted among the same lines as I did. I shut up about the flag because I got more important things to do than argue on the internet, especially when it was obvious I was not making my position clear, and was going nowhere.

Now, this is obviously not the place to continue that discussion, which I frankly don't want to go back to, but I'd still like to know how it indicates I will do bad as a mod. There was a post from me, above, which you ignored. I think you'd have a case if I hadn't been polite to you, or insulted you.

Cheers.

PS: I don't like to use smilies much, so please don't read any sort of tone in my post.


Of course he can respond himself, but... it will have no bearing on how you mod obviously.

As a side note - as an American (I guess I better make it clear what nationality I am :rolleyes: ) I can say you're view isn't crazy. Anyone who actually read what you wrote knows you weren't endorsing slavery, saying it didn't exists in the South, or that the flag never stood for slavery ever. What you said is correct. I've known plenty of Americans who had the flag flying from their truck and they weren't racist at all. One had a black girlfriend.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,103
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re: Re:

27 Jun 2015 10:06

Amsterhammer wrote:
After your recent 'performance' in US politics, I can only share Chewey's doubts and concerns. Despite being repeatedly corrected by more informed (American) posters, you continued to insist on your bizarre, pig headed, and quite frankly offensive, views about the Confederate flag. That alone gives me plenty of cause for concern. Perhaps avoiding US politics would be a good start.


I'll always have immense respect for BigMac for understanding me at a time nobody did whether here or on another forum, when I thought I was an alien in a way. And was amazed when discovering he & I agreed on very diverse topics while still being in a minority. And I've always loved his prose, where does he find all these words, for an allochtone teen!

But if that is a reason for doubts. I mean in that very heated debate, had you but seen all the concessions that he's made like telling Chew: "I haven't said racism was a fairy tale in the South". If it were me I would never have made such concession because I would feel I'm losing face here, too big an ego. For him that was no problem because BigMac is rarely looking for trouble, with anyone. And I think the fact none of you saw this "good will" of his kinda upset him to some extent (only he can tell, of course). He's too good for this world, I think.

Also I'll always note some kind of double standard with liberals (not necessarily you).

When BigMac made a post that was judged negative towards the Jewish community, he got banned, ban meant to be perma, and is unanimously comndemned. The few who defended him did so for his good reputation prior to the post in question but that's it.
When he and I make posts that are judged negative towards the Black community, though we aren't banned, we are being humiliated.
But when he made a post that was really ugly against the Muslim community, and 'ugly' is his own word, to his own admition & regret (I hope he doesn't mind my telling this in public, which told me in private, he may delete that bit, if need be), then he's giving free rein, only I didn't appreciate. While I guess nobody would ever dare to tell half what he then said about Muslims, about the Blacks, the Jews or the White Westerners in general.

To me it says a lot about what is politically correct & what is not.
""To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." (the French gives the quote to Voltaire, but it seems he never said that). I hope BigMac would consider this too. :)
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,983
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

Re: Welcome to our two new mods!

27 Jun 2015 10:11

Libertine Seguros wrote:Do you think he would be spinning in his grave that his daughter gave one of his rainbow jerseys to her teammate?

Image


His widow was a cyclist as well, you know. Gerrie was known as a raconteur and a joker. It had such surrealistic jokes with neither rhyme nor reason. :p I was sad when he passed away actually. I loved his Amsterdam humour. I think wherever he is, he's proud of Roxane. But it's true that when I learned his daughter was a cyclist, I had the quote in mind. :p

Is Roxane on the right? Who is she wearing the rainbow? Excuse my ignorance.

By the way, I miss Daphny. ;)
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,983
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

Re: Welcome to our two new mods!

27 Jun 2015 13:18

Echoes wrote:
Libertine Seguros wrote:Do you think he would be spinning in his grave that his daughter gave one of his rainbow jerseys to her teammate?

Image


His widow was a cyclist as well, you know. Gerrie was known as a raconteur and a joker. It had such surrealistic jokes with neither rhyme nor reason. :p I was sad when he passed away actually. I loved his Amsterdam humour. I think wherever he is, he's proud of Roxane. But it's true that when I learned his daughter was a cyclist, I had the quote in mind. :p

Is Roxane on the right? Who is she wearing the rainbow? Excuse my ignorance.

By the way, I miss Daphny. ;)

I think the girl in the rainbow jersey is Pauline Ferrand Prevot?
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,193
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Re:

27 Jun 2015 13:29

Echoes wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:
After your recent 'performance' in US politics, I can only share Chewey's doubts and concerns. Despite being repeatedly corrected by more informed (American) posters, you continued to insist on your bizarre, pig headed, and quite frankly offensive, views about the Confederate flag. That alone gives me plenty of cause for concern. Perhaps avoiding US politics would be a good start.


I'll always have immense respect for BigMac for understanding me at a time nobody did whether here or on another forum, when I thought I was an alien in a way. And was amazed when discovering he & I agreed on very diverse topics while still being in a minority. And I've always loved his prose, where does he find all these words, for an allochtone teen!

But if that is a reason for doubts. I mean in that very heated debate, had you but seen all the concessions that he's made like telling Chew: "I haven't said racism was a fairy tale in the South". If it were me I would never have made such concession because I would feel I'm losing face here, too big an ego. For him that was no problem because BigMac is rarely looking for trouble, with anyone. And I think the fact none of you saw this "good will" of his kinda upset him to some extent (only he can tell, of course). He's too good for this world, I think.

Also I'll always note some kind of double standard with liberals (not necessarily you).

When BigMac made a post that was judged negative towards the Jewish community, he got banned, ban meant to be perma, and is unanimously comndemned. The few who defended him did so for his good reputation prior to the post in question but that's it.
When he and I make posts that are judged negative towards the Black community, though we aren't banned, we are being humiliated.
But when he made a post that was really ugly against the Muslim community, and 'ugly' is his own word, to his own admition & regret (I hope he doesn't mind my telling this in public, which told me in private, he may delete that bit, if need be), then he's giving free rein, only I didn't appreciate. While I guess nobody would ever dare to tell half what he then said about Muslims, about the Blacks, the Jews or the White Westerners in general.

To me it says a lot about what is politically correct & what is not.
""To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." (the French gives the quote to Voltaire, but it seems he never said that). I hope BigMac would consider this too. :)


Thanks. I'm not too good for this world btw. :p Fits me right.

Of course I don't mind you telling that. I haven't forgotten your latest PM btw, will answer as soon as I have time to write more than 5 lines.

irondan wrote:
Echoes wrote:
Libertine Seguros wrote:Do you think he would be spinning in his grave that his daughter gave one of his rainbow jerseys to her teammate?

Image


His widow was a cyclist as well, you know. Gerrie was known as a raconteur and a joker. It had such surrealistic jokes with neither rhyme nor reason. :p I was sad when he passed away actually. I loved his Amsterdam humour. I think wherever he is, he's proud of Roxane. But it's true that when I learned his daughter was a cyclist, I had the quote in mind. :p

Is Roxane on the right? Who is she wearing the rainbow? Excuse my ignorance.

By the way, I miss Daphny. ;)

I think the girl in the rainbow jersey is Pauline Ferrand Prevot?


It's Pauline indeed. At last year's l'Eroica in Tuscany.
User avatar BigMac
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,340
Joined: 10 Jun 2013 22:10
Location: Estoril, Portugal

27 Jun 2015 23:16

GL peeps.

At first I was sure BigMac was a troll, then I realised some of his posts made sense:P.
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,916
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re:

27 Jun 2015 23:35

Red Rick wrote:GL peeps.

At first I was sure BigMac was a troll, then I realised some of his posts made sense:P.


perhaps professional help is required
:rolleyes:
User avatar krebs303
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,452
Joined: 16 Mar 2009 11:26
Location: Mexico

Re: Welcome to our two new mods!

28 Jun 2015 06:11

LaFlorecita wrote:
Zam_Olyas wrote:LofreakingL

Zam I think you would be a good mod :p

Seeing as my first task would be trying how to ban all contadorian....probably not. :D
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,172
Joined: 30 Sep 2011 10:17
Location: Rubber Plantation.

Re: Re:

01 Jul 2015 21:28

BigMac wrote:
It's Pauline indeed. At last year's l'Eroica in Tuscany.


To lighten the atmosphere a bit. I completely misread your comment above and thought it said L'Erotica and started to make a mental note to try and follow that race before realising my mistake ...
TheSpud
Member
 
Posts: 1,227
Joined: 03 Jul 2014 20:43

02 Jul 2015 09:27

Turns out the deal was "Don't deny the Holocaust for a year and you get to be a mod".
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,423
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

Re:

02 Jul 2015 09:36

hrotha wrote:Turns out the deal was "Don't deny the Holocaust for a year and you get to be a mod".



lol
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,172
Joined: 30 Sep 2011 10:17
Location: Rubber Plantation.

Re:

02 Jul 2015 09:49

hrotha wrote:Turns out the deal was "Don't deny the Holocaust for a year and you get to be a mod".

He never denied Holocaust...
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,912
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

02 Jul 2015 09:55

Netserk wrote:
hrotha wrote:Turns out the deal was "Don't deny the Holocaust for a year and you get to be a mod".

He never denied Holocaust...

Only called it a hoax if memory serves.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,423
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

Re:

02 Jul 2015 12:49

hrotha wrote:Turns out the deal was "Don't deny the Holocaust for a year and you get to be a mod".


Give it a rest for goodness' sake. Everybody was told a year ago to stop with those snide remarks and you're not an exception. Have you got an objective complaint about my moderation? Thought so.

Now please stop it.
User avatar BigMac
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,340
Joined: 10 Jun 2013 22:10
Location: Estoril, Portugal

02 Jul 2015 13:23

Hey, of course it's going to come back to bite you every now and then - it's kind of a big deal. You got off very lightly, so cry me a river.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,423
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Back to top