Register

Deleting posts

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

Re: Deleting posts

19 Dec 2015 02:27

krebs303 wrote:Image

That's weird. That post seems to have been deleted when quoted.
-------------------------

I do have a question though.

Why are we only able to delete some of our own posts and not others?

In the horizontal lists of choices—[Edit post] [Delete post] [Report this post] [Reply with quote]—the one for "Delete post," does not always appear. Is there some timing element involved with this? Does the option disappear for a reason? :confused:
User avatar Jacques de Molay

19 Dec 2015 02:32

Jacques de Molay wrote:
krebs303 wrote:Image

That's weird. That post seems to have been deleted when quoted.
-------------------------

I do have a question though.

Why are we only able to delete some of our own posts and not others?

In the horizontal lists of choices—[Edit post] [Delete post] [Report this post] [Reply with quote]—the one for "Delete this post," does not always appear. Is there some timing element involved with this? Does the option disappear for a reason? :confused:

The pic is just broken, not deleted. I'm not sure why.

As for the question you asked about deleting your own post. It's probably a setting in the forum administration panels. When I get a little time I'll go in and check the settings.
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

19 Dec 2015 02:57

Irondan wrote:The pic is just broken, not deleted. I'm not sure why.

It was meant as a joke. Read the post from krebs. :D

It was my handiwork. :cool:

But my question about deletions was serious. So thanks in advance if you can get to the bottom of that.

05 Jan 2016 20:07

Jacques de Molay wrote:Why are we only able to delete some of our own posts and not others?

In the horizontal lists of choices—[Edit post] [Delete post] [Report this post] [Reply with quote]—the one for "Delete post," does not always appear. Is there some timing element involved with this? Does the option disappear for a reason? :confused:

Still wondering about this. Could it be related to whether or not the post in question has quoted another post within it?

If a mod could step in and delete the mutually-agreed upon exchange between myself and blackcat in the Suspicious Minds thread (in The Clinic), it would be appreciated.
(Reading the last few posts of that thread should be self-explanatory.)

Thanks in advance, if so.

05 Jan 2016 21:09

Jacques de Molay wrote:
Jacques de Molay wrote:Why are we only able to delete some of our own posts and not others?

Still wondering about this. Could it be related to whether or not the post in question has quoted another post within it?

If a mod could step in and delete the mutually-agreed upon exchange between myself and blackcat in the Suspicious Minds thread (in The Clinic), it would be appreciated.

It's done.

As for why you can't delete those posts I'll have to look into it.
User avatar mrhender

06 Jan 2016 22:24

Jacques de Molay wrote:

Once a post has been replied to the poster can no longer deleted that post.

Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic which lists the number of times you edited it along with the date and time. This will only appear if someone has made a reply; it will not appear if a moderator or administrator edited the post, though they may leave a note as to why they’ve edited the post at their own discretion. Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.

There is a way to change it so poster can delete after a reply has been posted. But it get's into the coding of the forum. So best to leave those things to owners/developers of CN.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

07 Jan 2016 01:29

Afrank wrote:Once a post has been replied to the poster can no longer deleted that post.
Thanks for the follow up.

07 Jan 2016 09:37

............prior to forum upgrade members were able to delete any of their posts as desired....

then came the upgrade and all deleted posts returned...even those with long gone pics/links

................chapeau!

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

06 Feb 2016 16:06

coinneach wrote:Does anyone else find it mistifying when posts are deleted?
I posted one on the Clinic Froome thread, only to find it gone 12 hours later.
No explanation, nor have I the slighted idea why.
Is it too much to ask for an explanation when it happens?

Yep.
Apparently so.
User avatar carton

06 Feb 2016 16:20

I just posted a reply in the Kittel/Cav thread - and now it's already gone. Why?
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

06 Feb 2016 16:27

I've been deleting posts that are either trolling, baiting, rude or any number of other infractions.

If your post is gone it's because of one of those.
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

06 Feb 2016 16:50

Irondan wrote:I've been deleting posts that are either trolling, baiting, rude or any number of other infractions.

In my case I thought Red Rick made a funny analogy, I wrote "ROFL". Too few characters? Would it be better if spelled it out? Posted a little image meme? Or was it too vague? Would it be better if I told him that I thought it a well crafted metaphor in a more serious tone? Or was it a more substantive issue were the post was seen as a furthering of the original message in a way that may bring about a potential derailment of the thread?

I mean, despite my propensity towards what some might see as over-analyzing things, my SOP here is to just drop it altogether; it's really not that big of an issue for me. But if it so pleases the moderators, I think a PM saying simply "Message deleted: rude" or "too short" or "not apropos" would be well received by some of us who may not be knowledgeable enough to figure it out for ourselves. Again, just a thought.
User avatar carton

Re:

18 Feb 2016 02:37

Irondan wrote:I've been deleting posts that are either trolling, baiting, rude or any number of other infractions.

That's pretty funny.
You've deleted some of my best posts! None of which were meant to be mean or to bait (whatever that means).
Funny? Maybe not.
That said, I always enjoy reading the member suspension thread. Call me easily amused.
Point I'm trying to reach is to politely ask you and your colleagues to stop saying so-and-so is banned for one week for baiting, trolling, etc...
Please just say the delgados is banned one week for baiting. Not the delgados is banned for one week for trolling, baiting, or whatever it is deemed offensive.
We get it already.
p.s. Please don't ban me.
User avatar the delgados

07 Apr 2016 19:13

I've just got a warning for 'reposting a deleted post', but I received no notification whatsoever that my post had been deleted, so I just assumed my unreliable computer had ate it. Can the moderators please sort themselves out?
choose life choose a car choose smack choose gullibility choose marx choose opium choose religion choose masses
-blackcat
Cannibal72

Re:

07 Apr 2016 19:19

Cannibal72 wrote:I've just got a warning for 'reposting a deleted post', but I received no notification whatsoever that my post had been deleted, so I just assumed my unreliable computer had ate it. Can the moderators please sort themselves out?

We don't give warning when we delete posts, that would be unrealistic. But I'll try to get "sorted out" since your computer is so unreliable.
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: Re:

07 Apr 2016 19:40

Irondan wrote:
Cannibal72 wrote:I've just got a warning for 'reposting a deleted post', but I received no notification whatsoever that my post had been deleted, so I just assumed my unreliable computer had ate it. Can the moderators please sort themselves out?

We don't give warning when we delete posts, that would be unrealistic. But I'll try to get "sorted out" since your computer is so unreliable.

Do you really delete so many posts you can't notify? Wow.
choose life choose a car choose smack choose gullibility choose marx choose opium choose religion choose masses
-blackcat
Cannibal72

Previous

Return to About the forum