Register

Deleting posts

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

Deleting posts

25 Jun 2015 22:08

Does anyone else find it mistifying when posts are deleted?
I posted one on the Clinic Froome thread, only to find it gone 12 hours later.
No explanation, nor have I the slighted idea why.
Is it too much to ask for an explanation when it happens?
coinneach

25 Jun 2015 22:14

No.
Yes.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!

Amsterhammer wrote:A glorious day, enjoy the fires of hell, Maggie!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

25 Jun 2015 22:16

Hi coin, when was this post made? Earlier today? I can't find records of a post of yours being deleted. I can see one of your posts that would more or less fit in the time frame you give is still there.

Could it be this one?
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

Re:

26 Jun 2015 07:35

BigMac wrote:Hi coin, when was this post made? Earlier today? I can't find records of a post of yours being deleted. I can see one of your posts that would more or less fit in the time frame you give is still there.

Could it be this one?

Yep, sorry, really shouldn't post after a night out!
I still think one should be notified of deleted posts though :)
coinneach

Re: Re:

26 Jun 2015 13:20

coinneach wrote:
BigMac wrote:Hi coin, when was this post made? Earlier today? I can't find records of a post of yours being deleted. I can see one of your posts that would more or less fit in the time frame you give is still there.

Could it be this one?

Yep, sorry, really shouldn't post after a night out!
I still think one should be notified of deleted posts though :)

No worries. I think that's a good advice.
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

01 Jul 2015 04:09

my post in the contender thread was deleted?
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

01 Jul 2015 15:12

had a couple deleted but no reason as to why. Is this a new mod flexing their muscles....as so much 'stuff' has been left unedited and deleted in recent times it was a free for all.................
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

02 Jul 2015 18:06

Benotti69 wrote:had a couple deleted but no reason as to why. Is this a new mod flexing their muscles....as so much 'stuff' has been left unedited and deleted in recent times it was a free for all.................

There isn't an option now to give a reason when deleting a post, they just go. I'm not comfortable with it at all as I know how I would feel if one of my posts simply disappeared. But there you are, we are stuck with it. I would probably send a PM if a posters post was deleted as part of a collateral clean up on a thread but not sure if it is viable every time a post is deleted for other reasons. Don't shoot the messenger..
User avatar ferryman

02 Jul 2015 18:35

I think that deleting posts should be last option as it seems there is no way of recovering those at all?.. For me as a poster on here a warning to get back on topic or take things to pm/sidebar thread would be my preferred option.. If a cleanup of "off topic blocks" is deemed necessary then a mod statement in the given thread would for me be a good way to go... in general though, I prefer posts being kept for posterity.. for better and worse..
User avatar mrhender

02 Jul 2015 23:19

ferryman wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:had a couple deleted but no reason as to why. Is this a new mod flexing their muscles....as so much 'stuff' has been left unedited and deleted in recent times it was a free for all.................

There isn't an option now to give a reason when deleting a post, they just go. I'm not comfortable with it at all as I know how I would feel if one of my posts simply disappeared. But there you are, we are stuck with it. I would probably send a PM if a posters post was deleted as part of a collateral clean up on a thread but not sure if it is viable every time a post is deleted for other reasons. Don't shoot the messenger..

Would it be significantly more time consuming to edit posts or move them to a hidden sub-forum instead of deleting them?
User avatar Sciocco

03 Jul 2015 00:28

Sciocco wrote:
ferryman wrote:

Would it be significantly more time consuming to edit posts or move them to a hidden sub-forum instead of deleting them?

There is no hidden sub forum! When they go they go. Editing posts brings lots of pain, nobody wants a post edited without given a reason why..
User avatar ferryman

03 Jul 2015 00:44

ferryman wrote:
Sciocco wrote:
ferryman wrote:

There is no hidden sub forum! When they go they go. Editing posts brings lots of pain, nobody wants a post edited without given a reason why..

Can they add a hidden sub forum (or maybe even a thread! :eek: ) just for this? The "deleted" thread where "deleted" posts exist in the discussion board purgatory.
User avatar Sciocco

Re: Deleting posts

03 Jul 2015 01:12

If it exists is it deleted? If is not deleted it cannot go in the deleted thread which is not really deleted.
If they are deleted are they not to be seen by the unworthy.
this post will self delete automatically
User avatar krebs303
Veteran

04 Jul 2015 20:22

Appears I had two posts vaguely about Kristoff deleted from the Tour Stage 2 thread. I appreciate it was chit-chat, but the thread was slow moving at the time so seems a bit draconian to delete them. It's the first time I've had a post deleted so I'd be genuinely interested to know if I broke the rules.
User avatar cellardoor

05 Jul 2015 15:42

Sciocco wrote:Would it be significantly more time consuming to edit posts or move them to a hidden sub-forum instead of deleting them?

Yes. Terribly more time consuming I'm afraid, in the current forum layout. Like, two seconds (deleting) vs almost a minute (moving).
Yes, I agree it sucks.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

?

05 Jul 2015 16:33

.......ok? i'm slow but how do you guys know when you're posts have been deleted?

for me it's...post...........forget.................move on................repeat

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

Re: ?

05 Jul 2015 17:01

ebandit wrote:.......ok? i'm slow but how do you guys know when you're posts have been deleted?

for me it's...post...........forget.................move on................repeat

Mark L

People often re-read great pieces of literature.
User avatar krebs303
Veteran

Re: Deleting posts

02 Dec 2015 07:30

coinneach wrote:Does anyone else find it mistifying when posts are deleted?
I posted one on the Clinic Froome thread, only to find it gone 12 hours later.
No explanation, nor have I the slighted idea why.
Is it too much to ask for an explanation when it happens?

I prolly have had about a hundred of my posts disappear off into the ether.

lots of Wildean drollery just lost to mankind. so sads, so doleful, so disappoints, so tragedious
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

Re: ?

02 Dec 2015 07:33

krebs303 wrote:
ebandit wrote:.......ok? i'm slow but how do you guys know when you're posts have been deleted?

Mark L

People often re-read great pieces of literature.

tis akin to haiku.

you just need to read with the correct cadence to reconcile the rhythm. it is akin to getting the feel for some GGMarquez magicrealism, you can just get it at some point, then it reveals itself and the tenor.
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

02 Dec 2015 09:38

.......i smile......they tell me i'm a fool........i laugh.......they tell me i'm.......a clown

thanks! blackcat............a fellow quiet rebel

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

Next

Return to About the forum