Register

BoB's gone, here's why

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

BoB's gone, here's why

27 May 2016 13:02

All,

In light of Cycling News ever expanding coverage of Women's Cycling, the thread "Babe's on Bikes" has met it's timely end. We have been asked by Cycling News to remove the thread, as it objectifies women and is offensive to almost everyone, save for a few. To mitigate the risk of continuing to alienate our women readers, it was decided that the long running thread has run it's course.

The ownership group of the CN website and our beloved forums thought that the time is right to end this chapter in forum history. As this was an owners decision, please keep any and all comments limited to this thread and not the moderation thread.

Cheers
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: BoB's gone, here's why

27 May 2016 14:29

Following Irondan's words, I'd like to add:

"There is no space for this type of thread whilst in the midst of trying to expand our women's cycling coverage and enhance the stature of women's cycling as a whole. The thread goes counter to this aim and only serves to alienate our female friendly audience. I can't see that it has any purpose other than to objectify women."

I hope you all understand, but please don't hesitate to get in touch with me should you wish to discuss further.

Enjoy the final days of the Giro all!
joshjevans
Administrator

27 May 2016 16:45

Good decision by all involved
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells

27 May 2016 17:36

The right move!

Thanks for the explanation.
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

27 May 2016 17:44

Anyone ever notice how many views that thread got?
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

27 May 2016 18:09

Personally I wasn't offended by that thread. :)

Though I did find it a bit silly that a thread titled Babes on Bikes was more or less taken over by pictures of ladies posing next to bikes.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

27 May 2016 20:46

RedheadDane wrote:Personally I wasn't offended by that thread. :)

Though I did find it a bit silly that a thread titled Babes on Bikes was more or less taken over by pictures of ladies posing next to bikes.

I'v been bothered since the days of wool kits regarding lycra cycling apparel objectifying cyclists, both men and women. I mean, after all, both the ladies and men are wearing very revealing clothing that is really nothing more than colorful underwear.

Since this site undoubtedly wishes to be consistent, inclusive and above all, politically correct, I'm going to go ahead and demand Cyclingnews crop all posted photos for anything below the waist for both men and women and any photos showing the female breasts (which are awful).

Examples;

Yesterday;

Today;

I'll look forward to compliance from top management.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

27 May 2016 21:13

Surely the worst part about this, is that she's wearing sleeve-less... :p
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

28 May 2016 00:57

Scott SoCal wrote:

I'v been bothered since the days of wool kits regarding lycra cycling apparel objectifying cyclists, both men and women. I mean, after all, both the ladies and men are wearing very revealing clothing that is really nothing more than colorful underwear.

Since this site undoubtedly wishes to be consistent, inclusive and above all, politically correct, I'm going to go ahead and demand Cyclingnews crop all posted photos for anything below the waist for both men and women and any photos showing the female breasts (which are awful).

Examples;

Yesterday;

Today;

Maybe they'll reopen the BoB thread for you if you open a men's equivalent thread. :p
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

28 May 2016 04:50

Jeez, I forget, was BoB just under, or over FIVE MILLION views? Pathetic cop out, pc gone mad.

*waves two middle fingers at the decision takers*
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

28 May 2016 07:11

Good move.

Mods - can I get the selfie I posted back?
User avatar Random Direction

28 May 2016 07:51

Good news. Nice to think that women can be viewed as something other than sex objects.
User avatar kwikki

28 May 2016 10:27

Scott SoCal wrote:

This comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

Amsterhammer wrote:Jeez, I forget, was BoB just under, or over FIVE MILLION views? Pathetic cop out, pc gone mad.

So classy. Your point, though?
''The battle between Démare and Bouhanni for being France's best sprinter is decided: it's Coquard.'' - BBB
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

28 May 2016 10:30

Jspear wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

Examples;

Yesterday;

Today;

Maybe they'll reopen the BoB thread for you if you open a men's equivalent thread. :p

It is already there and has been so for quite some time. IIRC it's called Men on Machines.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

28 May 2016 12:46

BigMac wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

Amsterhammer wrote:Jeez, I forget, was BoB just under, or over FIVE MILLION views? Pathetic cop out, pc gone mad.

More sense than removing the thread. It's quite telling the suits viewed the thread as objectifying women rather than celebrating them.

What's next..... only show ladies riding side saddle? I can imagine there's for more cafe threads that should be deleted with current managements mindset.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

28 May 2016 14:00

This is not a black and white issue the way you want to claim it to be. There is a middle ground between Victorian-style puritanism that you sarcastically bewail with your exaggerated censorship photo-cropping as if this is some kind of human rights issue, and the thread that's been removed. Nobody's saying you're wrong to enjoy those photos. Or even to post them, believe it or not. Just that, if the site wants to increase its focus on women's cycling and wants itself to be taken seriously in its attempts to promote women's cycling, then it's counter-productive to have the main focus on women on the board to be the BoB thread. They're not saying you can only crop photos to ensure we don't see women in figure-hugging lycra, or only riding side-saddle, or whatever you want to claim. They're not going to censor, say, race photos since the site is about bike racing. Saying the BoB thread is "celebrating" rather than "objectifying" the women doesn't wash, because let's face it, what pray tell is it about these women that you are celebrating?
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

28 May 2016 14:37

Or, if the site chose to ah, "celebrate" men that way, many fledgling male cycling enthusiasts (customers) might feel themselves judged and excluded.

And Foxxy's point stands: all the people saying more clicks equals more business seem to miss that it doesn't mean "female" business. Of course the market/money don't care, but it's nonetheless interesting when political values break down.
Last edited by aphronesis on 28 May 2016 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
aphronesis

28 May 2016 14:38

BigMac wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

If it needs to be explained to you.... :rolleyes: Totally on the same page as Scott, for once.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

28 May 2016 14:46

Amsterhammer wrote:
BigMac wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

If it needs to be explained to you.... :rolleyes: Totally on the same page as Scott, for once.

.....yup....agreed...

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

28 May 2016 15:37

blutto wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:
BigMac wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

.....yup....agreed...

Cheers

Oh man this is getting out of control. You guys agreed with Scott.

I agree to the agreed.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

Next

Return to About the forum