Register

25 URL Limit

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderators: Irondan, peloton

25 URL Limit

09 Jul 2016 08:16

When doing posts like this TdF post, I've had to limit and edit out URLs, because the forum won't allow more than 25 in one post. Is there any earthly reason for having a limit like that? I can't imagine it helps combat spam, as the number of URLs in one post is hardly the problem. Conserving server resources perhaps? But even simple caching would alleviate that.

So, is there a reason for not having at least a higher limit like 100 or 200? It would certainly help ambitious posters if it was increased. Thanks for reading :)
User avatar Praying Mantis

11 Jul 2016 07:35

sad! no-one has replied..1st thanks! for all those super tour stage threads

i guess? 25 was deemed 'enough'....it would be for 99.7% of forum posts

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

11 Jul 2016 10:14

It's one of many mysteries on here that we don't really know :o
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

11 Jul 2016 17:58

Yeah seems like nobody in the know can enlighten us... Anyway, in phpBB's Administration Control Panel, there's supposedly a section called "Post[ing] Settings", in which there's an option called Maximum links per post. This is probably set to 25 for arbitrary reasons. Haven't found anything about it being relevant to spam, security, performance or much anything else. If this is set to 0 i.e. zero, it will allow for unlimited links. Any board admin should be able to make this change. Links between sites is kind of what the web is about... They're not dangerous. Oh and the Rider thread directory is another example of a thread that could sure use some links. Let's hope for the best, eh!

Re:

11 Jul 2016 18:33

Praying Mantis wrote:Yeah seems like nobody in the know can enlighten us... Anyway, in phpBB's Administration Control Panel, there's supposedly a section called "Post[ing] Settings", in which there's an option called Maximum links per post. This is probably set to 25 for arbitrary reasons. Haven't found anything about it being relevant to spam, security, performance or much anything else. If this is set to 0 i.e. zero, it will allow for unlimited links. Any board admin should be able to make this change. Links between sites is kind of what the web is about... They're not dangerous. Oh and the Rider thread directory is another example of a thread that could sure use some links. Let's hope for the best, eh!

There's different levels of board administrator on this forum. The administrators with all the power work for the website.

I'm not sure I have the access to that particular function but I'll take a look. I've used the admin functions a lot and haven't seen the ability to change URL links per post.
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

11 Jul 2016 19:39

Thanks Irondan! Yes I'm not sure the option is even there anymore, the phpBB docs are anything but clear. If it isn't, it might be found as a configuration option in a database field or text file that the devs can get to, because it's clearly in effect. Anyway, nice if you can get it changed, if not, oh well!

14 Mar 2017 16:53

I know that it has taken quite a lot of time to get the 25 url limit raised, but it's now higher. I set it at 50 url's limit but can raise it higher if there's a compelling reason to do so. I know that you need the higher URL limit for creating your fantastic Grand Tour race thread topics, which I hope you continue to do in the 2017 season. If you need the limit set higher, please let me know.

Cheers

Edit: I just re-read the OP for this thread and noticed that you originally asked for at least 100 or 200 urls for the limit, I'll raise it to 100 for now and let's see how that works.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

15 Mar 2017 09:28

Would it be possible to linkify the Rider Index then?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

15 Mar 2017 12:31

RedheadDane wrote:Would it be possible to linkify the Rider Index then?

Which one? Are you talking about an outside source?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to link to another website's rider index, unless CN has one?
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

15 Mar 2017 13:02

CPM's thread in the PRR sub-forum. You're the only ones who can edit it, what with CPM being banimated.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

15 Mar 2017 13:04

RedheadDane wrote:CPM's thread in the PRR sub-forum. You're the only ones who can edit it, what with CPM being banimated.

Right.

I will edit the list with whoever you guys want. Send me a list of riders in a PM or something and I'll edit the comment.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

15 Mar 2017 13:08

How about linkifying all of them?
Or are there already more than 100 in the list?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

15 Mar 2017 14:07

RedheadDane wrote:How about linkifying all of them?
Or are there already more than 100 in the list?

I can link them all but it may take me some time.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Return to About the forum