Register

How to Use the Ignore Feature

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

How to Use the Ignore Feature

31 Dec 2009 04:18

If there is a member of the site whom you find to be personally annoying, and know you don't want to read any of their posts, the best solution is to just ignore them.

Thankfully, CyclingNews forums has an Ignore feature. Here's how to use it:

First, find a post by the user you wish to ignore:

[color="SeaGreen"]=========================================================[/color]

Click on that person's name, this gives you a drop down menu, choose "View Public Profile":

[color="SeaGreen"]=========================================================[/color]

Once there, look for the 2nd tab from the left, called "User Lists", click it, which brings up another drop down menu. From there, simply select "Add to Ignore List":

Confirm that you wish to Ignore, and you're ready to surf in peace.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

31 Dec 2009 04:23

You can also click on this link and enter the Troll's name

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist
User avatar Race Radio
Veteran

31 Dec 2009 04:28

Thanks Race Radio.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

31 Dec 2009 04:41

I think the ignore feature is just papering over the problem. The only ones who will use it are the regular members. Meanwhile the casual readers will still see a deluge of stupidity from our resident troll. It won't be so bad because fewer people will respond to him, but it will still be disruptive.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

31 Dec 2009 05:33

Ah, thanks for the clarification.
ludwig

31 Dec 2009 06:29

It's pointless because somebody needs to quote the post made by the person on ignore and they will see it. I mean I could put BPC on ignore, but for example blackcat quotes one of his posts, then I will see it. So what is the point?
User avatar craig1985
Veteran

31 Dec 2009 06:37

Like Bro said, I've put many on ignore but I still have to wade through the threads, and not to mention if someone quotes the one I'm ignoring, I'll see the post.

Ban a poster immediately or whatever you can do to stop them posting, if she/he can't stay on topic, would be much more fun to read than wading through 20 pages of garbage from a troll.
peloton

31 Dec 2009 06:50

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I am not representing Cycling News, or saying this is how CN is going to deal with the problem of so-called trolls. The purpose of this thread, and little tutorial is just to show how to use the ignore feature. That's it.

The ignore feature can be helpful, and it's a good tool to use to avoid at least a lot of posting you're not interested in dealing with when the staff at CN don't have the time to promptly delete posts or ban miscreants who truly deserve it.

The process of tracking down "trolls" and permanently banning them is certainly a goal. that is being pursued, and something some of us have put a lot of effort into seeing through. Some have been banned recently. And the plan is to get repeated offenders permanently banned. It's just that not all the ducks are in a row just yet with the holiday season, so the hammer has yet to fall for the hardest, let alone final, time.

I should also note that I do not have the power to ban anyone.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

31 Dec 2009 06:51

I visit another forum and we have had a poster that was given a perma ban, and has had more multiple accounts then BPC ever has. It was something upto 15-20 multi's/troll accounts. They had ISP banned him, and that is what killed him from coming back.
User avatar craig1985
Veteran

31 Dec 2009 08:11

Why should I ignore someone who is so ridiculous? It's obvious that they shouldn't be a member here.

If people are actually encouraged to ignore an individual, it says there is a problem.

I will feed the troll, and quote his posts if it's what it takes.
Ferminal
Veteran

31 Dec 2009 09:14

Am I imagining it or was there previously a one click ignore on posts in the forum? I swear that was how I ignored banprocycling.
hoolaparara

01 Jan 2010 02:37

hoolaparara wrote:Am I imagining it or was there previously a one click ignore on posts in the forum?

Try this link here. (Ignore List).

All you need to to is find the person's name you wish to ignore, and enter it in.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

01 Jan 2010 21:12

now if someone is just being irrational beyond any reasonable doubt than sure, ignore them and put them on your list. but if it's just because the main majority of users are friendly and like back in middleschool, friends stick together and anything outside of that little circle should be ignored, then that's that certain circle's problem and still a pretty elementary one. i've been around enough to know the difference and still i choose to ignore no one.

my two cents but i doubt i'll be hanging around this forum for much longer or with enthusiasm.

thanks for letting me register though,

Preston.
Roadhouse

01 Jan 2010 22:13

Roadhouse wrote:
my two cents but i doubt i'll be hanging around this forum for much longer or with enthusiasm.

thanks for letting me register though,

Preston.

That's too bad we'll really miss your knowledge filled insightfull posts on the topic of pro cycling as it pertains to one pro cyclist.
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
User avatar Hugh Januss
Veteran

01 Jan 2010 22:52

Hugh Januss wrote:That's too bad we'll really miss your knowledge filled insightfull posts on the topic of pro cycling as it pertains to one pro cyclist.

there goes that middleschool circle thing. who's we? wait, don't answer.i can see by your location that you are in bad taste anwyho.

that was fun, thanks.
Roadhouse

01 Jan 2010 23:34

Roadhouse wrote:there goes that middleschool circle thing. who's we? wait, don't answer.i can see by your location that you are in bad taste anwyho.

that was fun, thanks.

OK, you're right, we (the Cyclingnews forum) probably won't miss you after all. You made me feel better, thanks.

Actually my location says "just outside of good taste", if you listed your location as just outside of Austin I would not automatically assume that you were in Dallas.

User avatar Hugh Januss
Veteran

02 Jan 2010 00:04

Hugh Januss wrote:OK, you're right, we (the Cyclingnews forum) probably won't miss you after all. You made me feel better, thanks.

Actually my location says "just outside of good taste", if you listed your location as just outside of Austin I would not automatically assume that you were in Dallas.

next to you i'm beginning to feel like an astronaut, a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist all in one. thanks, i may hang out awhile after all. who knows, maybe some team will pick me up..Livestrong, I'm available.
Roadhouse

02 Jan 2010 00:09

Roadhouse wrote:next to you i'm beginning to feel like an astronaut, a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist all in one. thanks, i may hang out awhile after all. who knows, maybe some team will pick me up..Livestrong, I'm available.

I'm glad I could give you that kind of validation since you really seem to need it.

User avatar Hugh Januss
Veteran

02 Jan 2010 00:21

Hugh Januss wrote:I'm glad I could give you that kind of validation since you really seem to need it.

i'd like to add kid in a candy store to the list. hugh, are you female?
Roadhouse

02 Jan 2010 00:26

Hugh Januss wrote:OK, you're right, we (the Cyclingnews forum) probably won't miss you after all. You made me feel better, thanks.

what the hell is that? let me explain something to you missy, if i was to say i was outside of Austin, then i wouldn't be in Austin thus for i could only be considered outside of it and not too mention, i said so in the first place. now if the shoe fits then wear it or in your case, the dunce cap.

"Fly me to the moon!!" :)
Roadhouse

Next

Return to About the forum