Register

Moderators

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

Re:

02 Oct 2017 18:03

aphronesis wrote:I could quote dj's post and reconstruct it, but I'm busy and never learned that block quote. thing.

Umm, please don't do that.

TIA
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

02 Oct 2017 18:05

I kid.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

02 Oct 2017 18:06

aphronesis wrote:I kid.

Got it.. :D
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: Re:

03 Oct 2017 16:01

King Boonen wrote:Lets Take Rider X on Team Y supporting Rider Z in Race A. Both riders have a thread, the team does and the race does and these threads are already large. Rider X is flagged for doping in Race A, where do you post that information and discuss it? Well it obviously belongs in Rider X's thread, but it's relevant to Team Y, Rider Z and Race A so arguably is should go in every thread. To make the choice harder, discussion of team-wide problems has gone on in the Team Y thread including Rider X and Rider Z.
That sort of sprawling conversation I get. Some threads are micro, some macro, they inevitably overlap. My issue is more about what happens when discussion of Rider X and Team Y and Race A starts taking over a thread about ... squirrels.
User avatar fmk_RoI

03 Oct 2017 16:44

fmk_RoI wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Lets Take Rider X on Team Y supporting Rider Z in Race A. Both riders have a thread, the team does and the race does and these threads are already large. Rider X is flagged for doping in Race A, where do you post that information and discuss it? Well it obviously belongs in Rider X's thread, but it's relevant to Team Y, Rider Z and Race A so arguably is should go in every thread. To make the choice harder, discussion of team-wide problems has gone on in the Team Y thread including Rider X and Rider Z.
That sort of sprawling conversation I get. Some threads are micro, some macro, they inevitably overlap. My issue is more about what happens when discussion of Rider X and Team Y and Race A starts taking over a thread about ... squirrels.

Pretty sure I covered that in Munro first paragraph, but if it's obviously off-topic report it.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

04 Oct 2017 12:46

Hi, I got the following message disaproving a post of mine:

"Hi, I believe this to be a sockpuppet account of the user *******. I'm
guessing you forgot your password? If that's correct please reset it and
use that account. If you can't please post in the moderators thread. Other
posts from this account will be disapproved and may lead to a permanent ban
for both accounts.

Cheers,

KB."

This is not true and I don't know where this guess comes from. :Question:
Same IP? Posting currently from my business-machine in quite a big corporation.

Edit: By the way, the first post got approved?

Edited by KB to remove other username.
jonas334455
Newly Registered Member

04 Oct 2017 14:00

I can do a post from home with another IP later on, if this helps.
jonas334455
Newly Registered Member

Re:

04 Oct 2017 14:25

jonas334455 wrote:Hi, I got the following message disaproving a post of mine:

"Hi, I believe this to be a sockpuppet account of the user *******. I'm
guessing you forgot your password? If that's correct please reset it and
use that account. If you can't please post in the moderators thread. Other
posts from this account will be disapproved and may lead to a permanent ban
for both accounts.

Cheers,

KB."

This is not true and I don't know where this guess comes from. :Question:
Same IP? Posting currently from my business-machine in quite a big corporation.

Edit: By the way, the first post got approved?

Edited by KB to remove other username.

Hi, yep that's the problem. I don't personally know enough about IPs to know how likely it is that any users would post from the same IP but I've been told it's very unlikely. I'll take you at your word, I can see that it's a big institution so I'm guessing that makes it more likely and I don't know enough to disagree :D . I'm sure another mod/admin will correct me if I'm wrong.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

04 Oct 2017 14:34

As an IT-guy myself I can tell you that it is unlikely, indeed, but not impossible. I'll send a post from home this evening on the topic which is the reason I joined. This should be another IP then. ;)
jonas334455
Newly Registered Member

04 Oct 2017 14:39

Occasionally we run into this problem but for the most part, it's not an issue.

Our only concern is that each person is allowed one account, even if it's been 10 years in between posts. We try to keep consistent in verifying new user accounts and when we run into an issue like this one we have to take a person at their word unless we have good reason not to.

Welcome to the forum! :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

04 Oct 2017 15:51

fmk_RoI wrote:

Or discussion about what you should call various races (in what language you should refer to them) in a specific rider's thread... :o
Though the rider in question seems to have gotten us right back on track.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Moderators

06 Oct 2017 17:18

Irondan, what is a "no contact" order? Does that mean you can't interact with some specific other poster on the forum (sounds unlikely and unenforceable), or does it only refer to PMs between them? Or something else entirely?

And is this something new, or has it been in effect for a long time, and I just wasn't aware of it? I assume it's meant to keep two or more posters who are stoking each other up to back off. It sounds almost like a partial suspension, in which you're allowed to keep posting in general, but have some privileges curtailed.
Merckx index

06 Oct 2017 17:32

Merckx index wrote:Irondan, what is a "no contact" order? Does that mean you can't interact with some specific other poster on the forum (sounds unlikely and unenforceable), or does it only refer to PMs between them? Or something else entirely?

And is this something new, or has it been in effect for a long time, and I just wasn't aware of it? I assume it's meant to keep two or more posters who are stoking each other up to back off. It sounds almost like a partial suspension, in which you're allowed to keep posting in general, but have some privileges curtailed.

It means that over the past month I've been an intermediary between two posters that don't like each other and like to bait and troll each other in the public forum and PM's. I told them numerous times to ignore each other by putting each other on their "foes" list which one of them did and one of them didn't. The one that did use the foes list decided to read the forum as a "guest" to circumvent the foes list and read the other person's comments and the person that didn't use the "foes" list ignored my direction altogether.

With all due respect, I beg to differ with you about the enforceability of this measure, as it's being enforced as we speak.

This is as much detail as I'm comfortable or willing to go into on this matter.

Cheers :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

06 Oct 2017 18:31

RedheadDane wrote:Or discussion about what you should call various races (in what language you should refer to them) in a specific rider's thread...
There is one simple rule: anyone who refers to the Ronde van Vlaanderen as the Ronde van Vlaanderen will rot in hell.

One day, the mods will come up with a tool that sends an electric shock direct to your keyboard when you type the Ronde van Vlaanderen instead of the Ronde van Vlaanderen.
User avatar fmk_RoI

06 Oct 2017 18:34

As I mentioned in that particular thread, I have on occasion written Ronde van Vlaanderen because I couldn't spell Ronde van Vlaanderen to safe my life, and we all know that is a potential life-saver.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

06 Oct 2017 18:49

fmk_RoI wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Or discussion about what you should call various races (in what language you should refer to them) in a specific rider's thread...
There is one simple rule: anyone who refers to the Ronde van Vlaanderen as the Ronde van Vlaanderen will rot in hell.

One day, the mods will come up with a tool that sends an electric shock direct to your keyboard when you type the Ronde van Vlaanderen instead of the Ronde van Vlaanderen.

I can fix that....
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

06 Oct 2017 18:50

Irondan wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:

I can fix that....

Edit: See... It already works!
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

06 Oct 2017 19:43

Irondan wrote:
Irondan wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:

I can fix that....

:surprised:
User avatar fmk_RoI

06 Oct 2017 19:44

fmk_RoI wrote:
Irondan wrote:
Irondan wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:

I can fix that....

:surprised:

:D
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

06 Oct 2017 23:51

Irondan wrote:
Merckx index wrote:Irondan, what is a "no contact" order? Does that mean you can't interact with some specific other poster on the forum (sounds unlikely and unenforceable), or does it only refer to PMs between them? Or something else entirely?

It means that over the past month I've been an intermediary between two posters that don't like each other and like to bait and troll each other in the public forum and PM's. I told them numerous times to ignore each other by putting each other on their "foes" list which one of them did and one of them didn't. The one that did use the foes list decided to read the forum as a "guest" to circumvent the foes list and read the other person's comments and the person that didn't use the "foes" list ignored my direction altogether.

With all due respect, I beg to differ with you about the enforceability of this measure, as it's being enforced as we speak.

This is as much detail as I'm comfortable or willing to go into on this matter.

Cheers :)

so we are supposed to log in all of the time? Just to read? I normally only log in if I have something to post, otherwise why bother? I get the intent in this situation, but I also think it's been obvious from reading who the stalker/aggressor has been (and for the record I enjoy the post and links of both a great deal) you missed the boat on this one
patricknd

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum