Register

Moderators

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

Re: Re:

29 Oct 2017 12:37

sniper wrote:Ow, and the moderators' comments about bullying and baiting in the cafe, that's kind of hilarious seeing how certain posters are allowed to do just that on a daily basis despite it being reported.
LOL.
User avatar fmk_RoI

29 Oct 2017 13:21

aphronesis wrote:
python wrote:as i said above, irondan, i was not specific to you or any mod. the entire org imo may have gotten off. the committee decisions on banning are just a part of the same trend. my observation. i have worked in the corporations where i reported to some above me as well as i had many reporting to me. i don't see your org approaching a right balance to a PROBLEM except of borderline brutishness. my last word here.

I think it’s more complicated than that. As someone associated with the overall negative cast in the cafe, I was in the process of logging in to tell Scott that he was overreacting at the time that he got his first ban. As a cafe “friend” that seemed a reasonable alternative. People have done it with me in the past. But we’re not all online at any moment. Others might have done so with blutto; rather the opposite occurred. Overall it seemed to me that the mods asked for a change but instead received a unified and escalated backlash that played out across the board in stictly defensive terms with no real attempts at dialogue. My perception. Any “heavy handedness” is understandable from that perspective.

Especially when anyone else stayed silent. As is generally the case before the fact.

This.
User avatar Tonton

29 Oct 2017 17:58

Thank you, moderators.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

30 Oct 2017 14:22

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Thanks for the nice words guys.

Though I'm not going to delete my account or anything, you probably won't be seeing much of me around here anymore. I did my best, but I guess that wasn't good enough.

What happened to Alpe?

One of the forum legends. And iconic avatar
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

31 Oct 2017 23:25

The Hitch wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:Thanks for the nice words guys.

Though I'm not going to delete my account or anything, you probably won't be seeing much of me around here anymore. I did my best, but I guess that wasn't good enough.

What happened to Alpe?

One of the forum legends. And iconic avatar

...and still very much appreciated. To remain a mod, you have to mod. I know first hand how difficult it is to juggle real life commitments and putting in the time on CN. If one of us can't, then a spot opens for someone willing/able to actively monitor. Nothing wrong with it. It could be me one day. It's not easy to do the work. Believe me...

When it happens to me, I'll be free to troll you Hitch :p . Kidding... :)

Alpe is absolutely welcome, his/her contribution to CN are worth many thanks. No beef whatsoever. Still part of the family.
User avatar Tonton

01 Nov 2017 16:38

If someone is "family," then treat them as such. Alpe posted this in the politics thread to say goodbye:

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Just so you all know, I have essentially been fired as a mod. Please do not reach out to me, or expect me to help resolve anything else on this board, especially this thread, where I felt I put a lot of effort into keeping things civil. But apparently others did not feel the same way.

Got some nice responses and replied thus:

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Thanks Glenn, Blutto. I thought I was doing an okay job, certainly in this forum, which has to be one of the toughest to moderate, and the only one I was left really moderating. But others felt differently.

5 minutes later the following was posted:

Irondan wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:Thanks Glenn, Blutto. I thought I was doing an okay job, certainly in this forum, which has to be one of the toughest to moderate, and the only one I was left really moderating. But others felt differently.

Really Alpe? I'm not going to go there.

Please post your comments on the topic of the thread...

Pretty lousy way to treat a valued member of your "family" IMO. At least let the man say goodbye to folks he's interacted with for years.
Beech Mtn

Re: Moderators

01 Nov 2017 21:15

Alpe was never disrespected: never. If he/she had his/her feelings hurt, which obviously happened, of course we are sorry. But the fact of the matter is that there's a lot to do and all mods need to pull their weight. And I say that, me being less active than most. I have a 60-70 hours-a-week job, a wife, two kids. If the day comes and I can't pull my weight, my feelings won't get hurt. I will believe that I did an OK job too, but I won't complain: it's not about Alpe or me. And if it happens to me, I'll be back to being a member, spend less time dealing with trolls, more time designing courses...the good life :) .
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

15 Nov 2017 10:28

Unimatrix has been permanently banned for being a sockpuppet of previously banned user ray j willings.

Wait... that ray j willings? Of "Bridget fame"?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

15 Nov 2017 13:46

RedheadDane wrote:
Unimatrix has been permanently banned for being a sockpuppet of previously banned user ray j willings.

Wait... that ray j willings? Of "Bridget fame"?

Yes, the ray j willings of the now infamous "Bridget" comments.

It's funny, ray had a couple thousand comments to his credit with most of them being really "colorful", but less than a handful of comments from his wife "Bridget" is what he's best known for. Gotta love the internet.... :p
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

15 Nov 2017 14:33

And this is exactly why I don't wanna be a mod!
How do you deal with this level of stupidity/blatant disregard of the rules?

I forgot... how long was the initial ban that started the whole Sockpuppet Mess? A day?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

15 Nov 2017 15:17

RedheadDane wrote:And this is exactly why I don't wanna be a mod!
How do you deal with this level of stupidity/blatant disregard of the rules?

I forgot... how long was the initial ban that started the whole Sockpuppet Mess? A day?

If I recall correctly he was banned for a week.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

01 Dec 2017 00:07

King Boonen wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Hi folks,

I've moved political posts to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33695

Please keep them in there. Thanks!

Because it fits so well in a thread about Colin Kaepernick and the "taking the knee" campaign.

Feel free to read the thread title, or not, it's up to you.

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2210507#p2210507</span>]Armchair cyclist[/url] wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2210442#p2210442</span>]King Boonen[/url] wrote:Hi folks,

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33695</span>

Because it fits so well in a thread about Colin Kaepernick and the "taking the knee" campaign.

It's frankly bizarre that the politics of road cycling is now considered off topic in the road cycling forum by the moderators here.

Considering the political implications of the location of a bike race off-topic in a thread about a rider seems bizarre to you?

Not at all. Moving posts about the location of a road race out of the road racing forum seems bizarre to me. Similarly, discussion of the nature of the regimes sponsoring various teams gets removed too right?
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

01 Dec 2017 09:22

I've moved the discussion here.

You were complaining about the moving of posts about the location of the Giro in the Chris Froome discussion thread. The posts were not about the location of the race. They were about the political motivations for selecting that location. If you want to complain about the parcours of the stages in Israel and West Jerusalem then go ahead, there is absolutely no problem with that. If you wish to have a discussion about the political nature of decisions taken in cycling there is now a thread for it in the cafe, where all the other political threads are, so feel free. Yes, previously we closed a thread about a sponsor because it was just turning into an argument. You now have a thread where you can discuss it if you want to. It is really no different to only allowing discussion about doping in the clinic.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

01 Dec 2017 19:35

King Boonen wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:

Feel free to read the actual content of the thread, or not, it's up to you (as mods seem at liberty to act with disregard when it suits)
User avatar Armchair cyclist

01 Dec 2017 20:20

On 16th September, the following was posted in a thread that was then immediately closed.
Susan Westemeyer wrote:General Announcement:

We would like to remind everyone that posting comments specifically to increase one's post count is very much frowned upon and up till now has not had its own "rule" in the CN Forum. Moderators will remove comments that are posted in this manner, with possible warnings or further action taken should mods believe a member is abusing their comment posting privileges.

I sent Susan a PM the same day asking, inter alia:
I believe that people cannot use PM, and possibly other features, until they have a certain number of posts. So we can't, for example, invite people to join the forum in order to take part in CQ games?

I received a very rude and curt response that made no attempt to answer the question, so I raised it in the late Member Suspension Appreciation thread, which was talking about related issues. Again no moderator made any attempt to explain or answer.

So for a third time, now that the CQ season is imminent: If PMs (the medium of entry for CQ games) are only allowed after a certain number of posts, and posts are not allowed to be made for the purpose of increasing one's post count, are new members to be disqualified from being allowed to enter games?

Or was it simply a bad rule introduced ad hoc to use against a particular individual that will not be applied?
User avatar Armchair cyclist

01 Dec 2017 21:02

I’m assuming you are inviting friends to join in? Can you not send the list for them?

I don’t know how many posts someone needs to make to use the PM system. If you are inviting someone who has enough of an interest in cycling to join in the CQ game I would assume they are capable of making enough relevant posts between now and the start of the 2018 season.

The rule will be enforced, if we notice someone posting one word posts, multiple posts quickly with little to no substance or splitting what could be a single post into several then they will be suspended or possibly even get banned as a spammer as this can happen quite often. Bear in mind we have to see it or it has to be reported and it usually has to be obvious. Many people post a lot at once and are fine.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

01 Dec 2017 21:07

Armchair cyclist wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:

Feel free to read the actual content of the thread, or not, it's up to you (as mods seem at liberty to act with disregard when it suits)

I have posted in it thanks, there’s now several posts about the Israel and West Jerusalem stages of the Giro. Feel free to join in if you actually want to discuss it.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re:

03 Dec 2017 14:23

King Boonen wrote:I’m assuming you are inviting friends to join in? Can you not send the list for them?

I don’t know how many posts someone needs to make to use the PM system. If you are inviting someone who has enough of an interest in cycling to join in the CQ game I would assume they are capable of making enough relevant posts between now and the start of the 2018 season.

The rule will be enforced, if we notice someone posting one word posts, multiple posts quickly with little to no substance or splitting what could be a single post into several then they will be suspended or possibly even get banned as a spammer as this can happen quite often. Bear in mind we have to see it or it has to be reported and it usually has to be obvious. Many people post a lot at once and are fine.

You have to post 10 comments before you can start writing PM's to other members. It has been this way since the new forum software was launched a few years ago but doesn't necessarily have to be 10 comments, we can discuss perhaps lowering it a little.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

05 Dec 2017 16:06

Armchair cyclist wrote:I received a very rude and curt response that made no attempt to answer the question...

I wouldn't take it personally. Not the first time nor I'm sure the last.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

07 Dec 2017 08:50

On a related note, what about samhocking being called a paid Sky shill countless times in other threads on this forum?
kingjr

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum