Register

Moderators

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

Moderators

03 May 2010 11:55

Can we please have some stricter criteria on Moderators in this forum as I have been given 2 infractions because I swore at a poster!

Others swear and so have I in the past and have never gotten a punishment.

Whoever is in charge needs to put the moderators on a leash to control them!

Then you have others making far more personal insults about others and I have been reporting them and nothing at all happens.

Absolute in consistency!

Something needs to be done!

ACF94!
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Veteran

03 May 2010 15:31

auscyclefan94 wrote:Can we please have some stricter criteria on Moderators in this forum as I have been given 2 infractions because I swore at a poster!

Others swear and so have I in the past and have never gotten a punishment.

Whoever is in charge needs to put the moderators on a leash to control them!

Then you have others making far more personal insults about others and I have been reporting them and nothing at all happens.

Absolute in consistency!

Something needs to be done!

ACF94!

In my experience you can get away with a lot more if you are right some of the time. Just keep plugging away little grasshopper, your time will come.:D
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
User avatar Hugh Januss
Veteran

03 May 2010 21:47

Okay I admit it. I am part of a secret cabal of posters who are out to purge the forum of the following: Evans acolytes and those who use exclamation marks rather superfluously. Sadly, you fit the bill on both scores.

Due to the fact that your Evans affliction was being considered for inclusion in the DSM IV TR, I will not hold it against you. However, if you do not begin to curb your over indulgence in the exclamation mark I will have no further recourse but to report you to whichever entity is willing to poke you with a stick/cattle prod/ tazer in order to stem the tide of your exclamatio in extremis.

your pal,

tlm
trompe le monde

04 May 2010 12:48

edited by mod
I'm not scared of getting oiled up and showing myself like that. I enjoyed it and I understand lots of my female fans did too….
User avatar 53 x 11

04 May 2010 18:23

Hugh Januss wrote:In my experience you can get away with a lot more if you are right some of the time. Just keep plugging away little grasshopper, your time will come.:D

That's my secret.:D
User avatar buckwheat

05 May 2010 18:33

edited by mod
User avatar Moose McKnuckles
Veteran

06 May 2010 14:13

The most bemusing thing just happened to me!

I just logged in and saw I had a message from moderator RVD4ROUBAIX. It was, get this, a doping violation! So, OK, it's not the UCI, it's a forum about cycling. The wording of this violation is dervative, unoriginal, almost certainly hyperbolic, or cringingly earnest, maybe even just plain lame.

Let's hope the UCI's Blood Passport is subject to greater analysis, too, because I received my 'doping violation' for not even discussing doping in the now closed-down Ullrich thread. The 'evidence' for my 'doping violation' as presented in my warning message was the post in that thread where I pointed out the absurd expectation that 'certain facts of a very high-profile rider's biography would be left out'. In that post I never used the words doper, doping, haemoglobin-chugging vampire cheat, or words to that effect.

It's a good thing none of this matters a ****, because there's some people you really don't want making important decisions about you. In certain areas of life, the outcome could be tragic.

So, moderators, I believe some combination of the words 'life get go a' would pertain here. I will do same.
CycloErgoSum

06 May 2010 14:24

CycloErgoSum wrote:The most bemusing thing just happened to me!

I just logged in and saw I had a message from moderator RVD4ROUBAIX. It was, get this, a doping violation! So, OK, it's not the UCI, it's a forum about cycling. The wording of this violation is dervative, unoriginal, almost certainly hyperbolic, or cringingly earnest, maybe even just plain lame.

Let's hope the UCI's Blood Passport is subject to greater analysis, too, because I received my 'doping violation' for not even discussing doping in the now closed-down Ullrich thread. The 'evidence' for my 'doping violation' as presented in my warning message was the post in that thread where I pointed out the absurd expectation that 'certain facts of a very high-profile rider's biography would be left out'. In that post I never used the words doper, doping, haemoglobin-chugging vampire cheat, or words to that effect.

It's a good thing none of this matters a ****, because there's some people you really don't want making important decisions about you. In certain areas of life, the outcome could be tragic.

So, moderators, I believe some combination of the words 'life get go a' would pertain here. I will do same.

If you want to start your own thread about Ullrich in the clinic nobody's stopping you. If you want to tell admins and mods that doping should be allowed in a non-doping part of the forum because of the person being discussed, or to move the "friggin thread" we might take exception. It's a warning, not a tattoo, relax.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

06 May 2010 14:40

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:If you want to start your own thread about Ullrich in the clinic nobody's stopping you. If you want to tell admins and mods that doping should be allowed in a non-doping part of the forum because of the person being discussed, or to move the "friggin thread" we might take exception. It's a warning, not a tattoo, relax.

Overheard in Berlin, circa 1933, "It's just goose-stepping, relax.'

So now we've got to tell you what is likely to happen in certain threads? Aren't you guys on top of that sort of thing? Didn't it occur to you the direction a thread about an infamous rider would take?

A bit of foresight before issuing 'Achtung: stop it or we'll tie you up with piano wire'-style posts would be appreciated. No mature person listens to bullies.

Edit: I don't care to discuss Ullrich's doping. I positively rail against stupid expectations.
CycloErgoSum

06 May 2010 15:05

If you have a that much of a problem with receiving a doping warning, I will go ahead and reverse it, and give you a non-doping warning for debating the rules here.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

06 May 2010 16:06

CycloErgoSum wrote:Overheard in Berlin, circa 1933, "It's just goose-stepping, relax.'

You can't be serious making that comparison.

It's a cycling message board. Follow the rules. Don't try to skirt around them with semantics. Don't like the rules, or the way things are? Don't post.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

06 May 2010 17:26

Any further such references will lead to a temporary ban.

Some things are not funny.

Susan
I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator

07 May 2010 00:05

Alpe d'Huez wrote:You can't be serious making that comparison.

It's a cycling message board. Follow the rules. Don't try to skirt around them with semantics. Don't like the rules, or the way things are? Don't post.

Some anti-democratic and didactic tendencies there. You're moderator posts read a bit priggish.
CycloErgoSum

07 May 2010 00:08

Susan Westemeyer wrote:Any further such references will lead to a temporary ban.

Some things are not funny.

Susan

Like throwing cats in snow for personal amusement? Cyberspace isn't Deustchland; in some parts of the world certain subjects aren't off limits and we can associate freely.

I get your drift, don't worry. I'll play in someone else's yard.
CycloErgoSum

07 May 2010 01:29

CycloErgoSum wrote:Like throwing cats in snow for personal amusement? Cyberspace isn't Deustchland; in some parts of the world certain subjects aren't off limits and we can associate freely.

I get your drift, don't worry. I'll play in someone else's yard.

EDIT: While I'm at it, my maiden name's Lagudin, my people are Ukranian Jew. I am entitled to invoke 'that' history when I witness intolerance and lack of fair-mindedness. It's also empowering and therapeudic, like the African-American appropriation of the N-word. I agree, my invocation was hyperbolic given the circumstances - ironic given that's what started this thing off in the first place - but I stand by the notion that intolerant, illiberal attitudes are all of a kind no matter the degree of their consequences. Like they say in Australia, 'Lest We Forget.' The past exists, we can't ignore it.
CycloErgoSum

07 May 2010 04:26

CycloErgoSum wrote:EDIT: While I'm at it, my maiden name's Lagudin, my people are Ukranian Jew. I am entitled to invoke 'that' history when I witness intolerance and lack of fair-mindedness. It's also empowering and therapeudic, like the African-American appropriation of the N-word. I agree, my invocation was hyperbolic given the circumstances - ironic given that's what started this thing off in the first place - but I stand by the notion that intolerant, illiberal attitudes are all of a kind no matter the degree of their consequences. Like they say in Australia, 'Lest We Forget.' The past exists, we can't ignore it.

I also have personal connections to this history. I am the first to agree it must not be ignored or forgotten.

But to relate it to moderator techniques in an internet forum is totally out of line.

Susan
I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator

07 May 2010 05:25

Susan Westemeyer wrote:I also have personal connections to this history. I am the first to agree it must not be ignored or forgotten.

But to relate it to moderator techniques in an internet forum is totally out of line.

Susan

Mostly out of line. I know you guys are still stinging from not being able to keep BPC off the board (by the way I am pretty sure he is back in multiple personalities), but some sort of level of expressive freedom still needs to be allowed without going completely overboard in favour of long time posters.
That Bagster guy was ultimately no more annoying than TFF or me (really ,to be honest) but it seems (to me) like he got cut much less slack because he had some sort of misguided need to defend The LAhole. Please let's not sink to RBR standards, but let us try to maintain a forum where all sort of opinions can be heard.
This rule with an iron hand thing that you are trying out right now is not a good idea IMO.
That's all I have to say about that.
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
User avatar Hugh Januss
Veteran

07 May 2010 12:51

Hugh Januss wrote:Mostly out of line. I know you guys are still stinging from not being able to keep BPC off the board (by the way I am pretty sure he is back in multiple personalities), but some sort of level of expressive freedom still needs to be allowed without going completely overboard in favour of long time posters.
That Bagster guy was ultimately no more annoying than TFF or me (really ,to be honest) but it seems (to me) like he got cut much less slack because he had some sort of misguided need to defend The LAhole. Please let's not sink to RBR standards, but let us try to maintain a forum where all sort of opinions can be heard.
This rule with an iron hand thing that you are trying out right now is not a good idea IMO.

I agree that the mods here (and elsewhere, to be fair) tend to cut a lot more slack to those who may be obnoxious but at least agree with the mods point of view as well.
User avatar alberto.legstrong

07 May 2010 13:36

Hugh Januss wrote:Mostly out of line. I know you guys are still stinging from not being able to keep BPC off the board (by the way I am pretty sure he is back in multiple personalities), but some sort of level of expressive freedom still needs to be allowed without going completely overboard in favour of long time posters.

You still are hung up on this Hugh... Why didn't you respond directly to my post in the thread you started about Bagster? Are you guys related or something? Iron fist? You must be joking.. Pffft, Jeez. :rolleyes: You've been around here long enough to see that the trolls go through here like weather fronts. Lately it's been storming. What you fail to understand is that you only see what's typed on the boards, when we confront these individuals after reported posts, it's either an apology and life goes on, or act like a Bagster for instance and be gone. Sure TFF is annoying, but reasonable if he's in the wrong, Bagster absolutely wasn't. Got it?
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

09 May 2010 03:40

CycloErgoSum wrote:The most bemusing thing just happened to me!

It's rather straightforward that doping discussions take place in The Clinic. All other sub-forums are dope-discussion free. If you want to talk about doping and Jan Ullrich, start a thread in The Clinic.

You're so clearly ignoring the rules of the forum by posting doping rants outside of The Clinic that you should just accept that you were wrong and modify your behavior accordingly.
joepa

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."

* visit my Twitter
* read my Tweets
User avatar joe_papp

Next

Return to About the forum