Register

Moderators

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

10 Oct 2016 13:06

Pretty sure you can't infer your own meaning, reword and then claim something as a quote.

Oh, and as an FYI, this is 141 characters:

"John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence to support their involvement" - DJPbaltimore

The limit is 255...
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

10 Oct 2016 13:10

1) You didn't supply my full quote yet again. You left out the 'IMO' part. 2) Your rationale basically amounts to the notion that it is easier to ridicule someone for straw-men rather than deal with what another person actually said. Duly noted. Posts have no space limitation and you did the exact same thing TWICE, including starting the personal attacks. Take it down now.

python wrote:an argument based on 'mr kerry is an honorable man and will never lie' is clueless by definition. and b/c it belongs to you, you're clueless by definition.

i didn't call kerry names, but the author proved why kerry lied by quoting verbatim several obama officials.

viewtopic.php?p=2033187#p2033187

viewtopic.php?p=2033182#p2033182

Three and counting!

viewtopic.php?p=2029178#p2029178
djpbaltimore

10 Oct 2016 13:54

that you are incapable of owning up statements amounting to very poor awareness and moreover, elevating them into an factual argument has been noted by several posters.

djpbaltimore wrote:@glenn. That 'apology' was just as disgraceful as your homophobic slurs. You are the most intolerant and negative poster here. Insinuating that your narrowminded views are somehow my fault is ludicrous. Look in the mirror...

@python. If you haven't been following the thread, please mind your own business. Your opinion is clueless IMO.
so, pls spare everyone the whining bit about being insulted when someone used your favourite descriptor. and it was applied BEFORE your whining. besides, speaking of distortions...you chose to distort what i said about glen's opinion and went on to an arrogant suggestion.

i said:' i may have misread the entire exchange...you said about my statement ' If you haven't been following the thread' so pls, look into the mirror before whining.

and as long as i explained why i rephrased your clueless statement, i will repeat it as often as i find fit. keep counting.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

10 Oct 2016 14:11

You left out the 'IMO' at the end. Cutting off that bit makes it read like I was stating an opinion as a fact rather than just stating an opinion.
djpbaltimore

Re: Moderators

15 Oct 2016 17:03

Mods could we merge the Dr. Freeman threads?
User avatar thehog
Veteran

15 Oct 2016 17:05

thehog wrote:Mods could we merge the Dr. Freeman threads?

I'll take a look at doing that when I get back to my PC in a few hours, unless another mod does it sooner.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

15 Oct 2016 17:42

Irondan wrote:
thehog wrote:Mods could we merge the Dr. Freeman threads?

I'll take a look at doing that when I get back to my PC in a few hours, unless another mod does it sooner.

Got it.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

20 Oct 2016 18:52

a permaban for trolling? Swift execution.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re:

20 Oct 2016 19:03

Dazed and Confused wrote:a permaban for trolling? Swift execution.

Deserved.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

20 Oct 2016 19:09

^^Absolutely
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

20 Oct 2016 19:16

Then I think the reasoning needs more colour. Just my opinion (haven't followed the actual incident).
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re:

20 Oct 2016 19:20

Dazed and Confused wrote:a permaban for trolling? Swift execution.

When a person that signs up to be a member of this forum and immediately shows that the only reason they created an account was to single out and troll a particular member with their first 5 comments, doesn't deserve to be let to continue posting here.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

20 Oct 2016 19:23

Ok, fair enough. Thanks.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

20 Nov 2016 10:48

With regards to the "Did EPO really kill some riders" thread, maybe from this post onwards (viewtopic.php?p=2043462#p2043462) the mods could consider transferring the discussion to the "first epo users" thread (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9589&start=740)?
sniper
Veteran

23 Nov 2016 13:29

How on earth is a newspaper putting forward a completely unsubstantiated allegation being allowed to stay in the evidence/links thread. Might as well just start putting ever single rumour in there. There is supposed to be some sort of standard for evidence as laid out in the forum rules but it seems to be ignored.
pmcg76

23 Nov 2016 15:35

pmcg76 wrote:How on earth is a newspaper putting forward a completely unsubstantiated allegation being allowed to stay in the evidence/links thread. Might as well just start putting ever single rumour in there. There is supposed to be some sort of standard for evidence as laid out in the forum rules but it seems to be ignored.

The evidence/links being posted in that thread are off topic and will be moved to their proper threads. That old thread was stickied a long time ago for the LA Reasoned Decision evidence. Up until not that long ago it had been mostly ignored, by myself along with everyone else.

I never actually read that thread so I didn't know the topic was LA and the reasoned decision, because of this I let this run of off topic postings run entirely too long without knowing that I was allowing the thread to take on a life of it's own.

I've locked it for now until I can clean it up and move the off topic posts to the proper threads. I will also unsticky the thread as it was never intended to be stickied forever.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

26 Nov 2016 18:18

The rule that all posts with links to foreign websites must have a complete translation else they'll be deleted is pretty ridiculous tbh. I understand this is an English language forum but not everyone has the time, or skill perhaps, to do a full and proper translation of a link they found interesting. If a link is posted in say, French or Flemish, then even if I can't understand it I don't get angry, I click on it and browse for some key words that I may be able to translate to gauge the sense of the article. Of course having a translation always makes it easier, but it is far too harsh to force it upon people. Even if the link is unintelligible to some people, others will find it very interesting, and by deleting posts that have these links you are ridding them of a useful and interesting article. Because, while this forum is an English language forum, it is a diverse and multi-cultural one too.
Brullnux

Re:

26 Nov 2016 18:45

Brullnux wrote:The rule that all posts with links to foreign websites must have a complete translation else they'll be deleted is pretty ridiculous tbh. I understand this is an English language forum but not everyone has the time, or skill perhaps, to do a full and proper translation of a link they found interesting. If a link is posted in say, French or Flemish, then even if I can't understand it I don't get angry, I click on it and browse for some key words that I may be able to translate to gauge the sense of the article. Of course having a translation always makes it easier, but it is far too harsh to force it upon people. Even if the link is unintelligible to some people, others will find it very interesting, and by deleting posts that have these links you are ridding them of a useful and interesting article. Because, while this forum is an English language forum, it is a diverse and multi-cultural one too.

The rule that all posts with links to foreign websites must have a complete translation else they'll be deleted is pretty ridiculous tbh
First of all, that's not at all what I said. Read it again.

This is mainly regarding the articles that are linked as images, and not searchable text. If it were searchable text it would be easy enough for anyone, including moderators to copy and paste into a translator, not to mention the auto translating capability of google chrome. But since it's an image it can't be copied and pasted as text. That means that "someone" has to translate it by manually typing it into a translator, that responsibility falls on the poster of the comment.

Quite simply, there has been links to old newspaper articles that have been posted as being "proof" of a riders doping history in a language other than english. This "proof" should be readily translated for all to read, and then discussed/debated. This can only be achieved by having one universal language, and for this forum that is the english language. This policy was established long ago, well before my time and mostly everyone else's too. I didn't create a new rule because I thought it would be fun to start making up new rules, this has been forum policy since the very beginning.

Anything that has been posted before in a language other than english was doing so against forum policy. Obviously that policy has been very lax due to the readily available translators available, including the auto translate feature in google chrome.

Again, this policy is not new. I'm just reminding members that the responsibility falls on the poster to ensure that whatever they're linking to and the point they are commenting on has to be translated or translatable text. Images of articles are not translatable text, therefore the member must translate the pertinent information of the article.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

26 Nov 2016 19:21

Cyclingnews Forums is an English Language discussion forum, please post all comments in english only. Any links attached to posts that are in a language other than english must have an accurate and complete translation of the pertinent subject matter, otherwise the comment runs the risk of deletion.

I was talking about this. I have no problem if the policy is as it is in your post, but how it's been written in the 'Links and Translations' section is unclear and probably needs revision, because reading it I still see 'Links must either be in english or have a translation otherwise we delete it'.

I still see no point in deleting images not in English without a translation. It makes very little sense really. Yes it is easier to have a translation and it should be encouraged to do so, but nobody is winning if the post is deleted. It isn't going to achieve anything, as 90% of people who post pictures of articles (Echoes and Flamin usually in the PRR section) do it anyway, and those who don't aren't all of a suddent going to start doing translations, they just won't post at all.
Brullnux

Re:

26 Nov 2016 19:28

Brullnux wrote:
Cyclingnews Forums is an English Language discussion forum, please post all comments in english only. Any links attached to posts that are in a language other than english must have an accurate and complete translation of the pertinent subject matter, otherwise the comment runs the risk of deletion.

I was talking about this. I have no problem if the policy is as it is in your post, but how it's been written in the 'Links and Translations' section is unclear and probably needs revision, because reading it I still see 'Links must either be in english or have a translation otherwise we delete it'.

I still see no point in deleting images not in English without a translation. It makes very little sense really. Yes it is easier to have a translation and it should be encouraged to do so, but nobody is winning if the post is deleted. It isn't going to achieve anything, as 90% of people who post pictures of articles (Echoes and Flamin usually in the PRR section) do it anyway, and those who don't aren't all of a suddent going to start doing translations, they just won't post at all.
You're making this into something that it's not. It's impossible to predict the future so I won't comment on most of what you said.

I think it's pretty clear what was written, if you read it differently there's nothing I can do about that. I clarified the intent of my announcement in detail with my previous response to your comment. I'm going to leave it at that for now.

Cheers :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum