Register

Welcome to the CN Forum - Come and introduce yourself

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderators: Daniel Benson, Susan Westemeyer, Irondan

15 May 2009 08:37

Stevex wrote:Help! I cannot send info... wht am I doing wrong?

:o Oops... have found out why I could not post... ignore my 1st one.
steve in jakarta
Stevex
Newly Registered Member

03 Jun 2009 17:42

jaylew wrote:Interesting to see how many people in this thread took the time to register and post, but have either never (or very rarely), posted anywhere else.

Something about the tone of the forum? Are people intimidated? Too much doping talk? Just curious.

I found that interesting to jaylew. The tone is on occasion confrontational and condescending. Not really welcoming to newcomers who may not share the supposed wealth of cycling knowledge that some of the posters "think that they have" and don't hesitate to ridicule and insult without consequence.
The doping topic is regularly inserted into virtually every thread with the defense being one is "naive" for finding its inclusion in every thread as counterproductive and often unrelated.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

05 Jun 2009 19:36

Personally I do not think they are that bad. Find the files you are looking for at torrent-hunter.com the most comprehensive source for free-to-try files downloads on the Web
kittyparker
Newly Registered Member

09 Jun 2009 05:18

Angliru wrote:I found that interesting to jaylew. The tone is on occasion confrontational and condescending. Not really welcoming to newcomers who may not share the supposed wealth of cycling knowledge that some of the posters "think that they have" and don't hesitate to ridicule and insult without consequence.
The doping topic is regularly inserted into virtually every thread with the defense being one is "naive" for finding its inclusion in every thread as counterproductive and often unrelated.

I agree - it seems people are pretty full on here. Quite often a new contributor will get slammed for asking a fairly innocent question or making a simple statement about a well known rider. And maybe I have made the odd patronising post too!

I am not sure you can do much about it - sad really. My own approach is generally to just ignore the negative stuff.

Onwards and upwards ;)
User avatar 180mmCrank

hello

09 Jun 2009 17:30

nlimited Creativity in

Software Development
Web Designing
Flash Softwares
Digital Flip Book
Digital Magazines
School Management Software
Employee Management Software
Biometric Device Softwares
Mobile Devices Software
Unix/Linux Tech Support
Search Engine Optimization
Find more......

evani

fidapp
evani007
Newly Registered Member

10 Jun 2009 00:00

180mmCrank wrote:I am not sure you can do much about it - sad really. My own approach is generally to just ignore the negative stuff.

You're welcome to report any post which you feel is in violation of the forum guidelines. We don't currently receive many of these notifications - mainly the odd bit of spam - but that's what it's there for. Whether users decide to use that function or not is solely on their shoulders.

Cheers
Greg Johnson
Greg Johnson

19 Jun 2009 00:31

[font="Verdana"][/font]

Hi Daniel - I like the new design - it's slick, clean, and quick. BUT can you please fix, on your first page about the new site, the headline that reads "Features and insight from the Pro’s"? I can't help deducting IQ points for apostrophe abuse, and this clean new site deserves to be free of them. Usually a nice live human makes a better editor than spell-check.

Thanks, and keep up the good work! --- Sharon R.
Sharon R.
Newly Registered Member

22 Jun 2009 10:26

Hello to you all!

I'm a 60 year old American living in Amsterdam and have been a big time Lance fan since I watched him take the world title in the rain in Oslo ('93?). You can look forward to me defending him against the usual bad mouthing. Call me naive, but I do NOT believe that every rider is doped, though I would still be watching even if they all were.

This is my first venture in a cycling forum, though I have been a member of football and music forums for many years. Perceptive UK readers may guess that my handle refers to my passion for West Ham United, and they would be correct!

Like Sharon R. just before me, I'm a bit of a linguistic pedant when it comes to writing good English, though this only applies to native speakers! I also detest wayward apostrophes!

I'm particularly psyched for this Tour, for obvious reasons. Bring it on!

George
User avatar Amsterhammer

hello from SF, CA

02 Jul 2009 14:04

Glad to see that cyclingnews also has a forum that I hope will blossom into a greatness equal to their online coverage of the sport.

I also am looking forward to more tech-oriented questions (new products, wrenching) and will post as soon as I have a problem with one of my bikes.

:cool:
User avatar centurionomega

Hate Live coverage page layout

06 Jul 2009 11:47

After scrolling down the page to read the update, you now have to scoll back to the top to click link to proceed to next page. Hate that so much I follow live update on different website now. Also puzzled why you duplicate links on the home page. You have headlines at the top, again on the right side and then a third time under that. I used to follow you as the number one cycling site, but your site has failed miserably and I am on other site now, much more than yours.
cancer survivor
Newly Registered Member

introduce

06 Jul 2009 17:34

So, what's with my introduction?:D

katzky
Newly Registered Member

06 Jul 2009 17:46

What's with the Introduction?

katzky
Newly Registered Member

08 Jul 2009 18:21

Dear Cyclingnews

I joined the forum very recently (OK, yesterday) in anticipation of an interesting exchange and discussion of events in the cycling world, but must admit that I am a bit disappointed. The idea of the forum is great, and there are occasional interesting posts but I find it rather depressing that some people seem to be more intent on insulting those who do not agree with them (or those who are new - why on earth do you want to chase away new people? The more insights, the more interesting the forum would be, after all!). Thus, I would like to ask whether the letters page could be reinstated again alongside the forum. This was always a highlight and I miss it!

Cheers!
Hillbilly
Newly Registered Member

16 Jul 2009 03:19

Been reading cyclingnews for years, but just joined the Forum. 39 year old from USA (Maine and Florida) Been a runner and racewalker most of my life, but have done some TT riding the past few years. I've been a cycling fan since doing a couple seasons of racing as a youngster in the early 1980's before switching to running.

Love the site.
User avatar egtalbot

Greece try to get involve

23 Aug 2009 15:20

This is the first year,our country has three semi-continental teams,so CN is a very good way to find news about their races.
I hope for better cycling days for all and especially for Greece.
My name is Sakis and my longest ride was 530km(21hours),and loving italian art like lavaredo,mortirolo,le roi.
User avatar velocko
Newly Registered Member

13 Oct 2009 03:06

Hello. I am new to the cycling thing and am enjoying reading all of these posts. I am 5 foot 4 inches tall and live in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Say hello if you see me on the road.

By the way, anybody have a dvd copy of the Guns of Navarone? I can't find one anywhere.
Frigo's Napsack

29 Oct 2009 21:36

Not so much an introduction but a quick "thank you" to all the posters who have contributed to a much more informed road season than I had to endure for the last 2 decades or so.

Been lurking here for a hell of a long time, but given the welcome that newcomers here get at times, especially when they first peep during "those 3 weeks", I decided to wait with joining and posting until we had safely reached the off-season.

I won't be a frequent poster, as I'm mostly here to pick up news, background stories, gossip, and titbits that I am unlikely to find in the media that surrounds me in Scotland.

But the last year and a bit has been fantastic, and I would like to salute those who pointed me here, kept me here, and got me onto media that was streaming races I had been missing dearly.

Appreciated.

[and been here long enough to know that a new thread to say so probably wouldn't go down well :)]
User avatar Francois the Postman

newbies

30 Oct 2009 10:19

I am a relative newbie, (although I believe I was the first to post other than CN staff members). I raced as a junior in England in the 60s and took up the sport again in my forties for the World Masters Games in 1994 in Brisbane.

Stopped racing in my early fifties when I was getting atrial fibrilation. Swapped to non endurance exercise, weight training and Hung Gar Kung Fu (I had ten years or so of martial arts in my thirties). So now I ride once or twice a week with a buddy for an hour or so; do weights once or twice a week and at least two hours of Hung Gar. I am a solid 100 kilos, so my hill climbing needs a 25 sprocket.

Still love pro bike racing and try and see as much of it as I can. My next wish is to spend a month in Belgium to see some of the Classics, eat frites and drink the beautiful Belgian Beer. UMMMM!

The Forum is good, although I agree with others: the negativity and slagging off of the athletes is the worst part. It is a glorious sport and I am happy for measures to keep it clean, but the hatred towards some people and the constant alluding to riders personalities and so forth turns me off and so I don't look at the forum as much as I'd like to.
Offtheback

Radioshack

28 Nov 2009 18:48

Wonderful to see the Radioshack team but am intrigued why Lance didn't get George Hincapie on the team?? Anybody have any ideas?
Elinor
Newly Registered Member

Hi Friends

07 Dec 2009 06:01

Hi Everybody,
I found this forum by google. Many information available in this forum and its solution are available in this forum. it is in incredible site in my opinion, ideal for the enthusiast like me-self. I like this forum. Everybody Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. I have recently join this site and It's pleasure to be a part of your forum. I love to try also what you are discussing here. Thanks!
ginseng
colemancol
Newly Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum