Register

2017 World Championships Hong Kong April 12-16

From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Moderator: Tonton

Re: Re:

20 Apr 2017 09:34

blackcat wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Awang!!!

I was walking down Lygon St in Australia about 8 years back, when the worlds were in Melbourne, track worlds, and spotted the Malaysian kit, there was a team, well, about 7 riders, some male and female, by the looks of them track endurance riders. Beazley the Australian was still coaching them then.

I doubt many times they have groupies coming up to them, and I approached them and said "Azizulhasni Awang" and our convo did not go much further. He was studying in Melbourne at Deakin Uni too, think he was doing commerce and sports science.

That's very cool. I do tend to divert my routes through the East End when the world cup/revolution etc. is on in Glasgow but I've never managed to meet anyone out on the road. I've also not been to any of the events yet, I do go when my club mates race in the track league there (despite riding fixed pretty much everywhere the idea of riding track bores me to death) and it's a nice velodrome. I like being able to wander round in the middle too and check out the bikes (the only time I've seen a pro bike up close, Katie Archibald's), can't do that when the big racing is on.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re: 2017 World Championships Hong Kong April 12-16

20 Apr 2017 17:22

Bores you to death, or frightens you to death? :)
Absolutely no time to be bored when you've just got the
bell and you're sprinting elbow-to-elbow with two dozen of
your best mates at 60+ km/hr around a 42 degree banking. :eek:
User avatar oldcrank

21 Apr 2017 13:08

Bores me to death I'm afraid. I'm sure racing is a bit more exciting but you can't race all the time and the idea of just riding round and round in a loop does not appear. I'll take a fixed wheel out up the West Coast any day over that :)
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

24 Apr 2017 10:23

The next high altitude world cup at Agua should be amazing. Dygert too should break the women's world record.
Prob. won't be announced untio August or so. Junne if we're lucky.
Awang, Pervis, Aus men pursuit and US women pursuit were all so exciting.
The omnium has become very stale without any timed efforts.
Shame

28 Apr 2017 21:59

Shame

11 May 2017 10:22

Any theories as to why Callum Skinner and Katey Marchant went back so quickly to being average bike riders at the Hong Kong world champs? I have never seen such huge improvements from track riders like them in Rio let alone the massive drop backs straight after such incredible performances. These two had every reason to go well in Hong Kong.
Craigee

Re:

11 May 2017 10:30

Shame wrote:The next high altitude world cup at Agua should be amazing. Dygert too should break the women's world record.
Prob. won't be announced untio August or so. Junne if we're lucky.
Awang, Pervis, Aus men pursuit and US women pursuit were all so exciting.
The omnium has become very stale without any timed efforts.

The Uci have gotten right away from making the Omnium all about the best all round rider on the track. It's another joke.

With the time the omnium (4 similar bunch races) still takes to run over a full day for both men and women plus the likelihood of introducing the long Madison event for men and women, surely someone with any common sense in the Olympic and UCI system would realise that it would be much better to go back to running individual events like the Scratch Race and KiloTT or IP or Points Races and hand out more Golds (Titles) over the same time period.
Craigee

Previous

Return to General