Register

Wiggins - Hour Record

From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Moderator: Tonton

Wiggins - Hour Record

03 Jul 2011 22:12

Does he possess or another in the current peleton capabale of beating Boardmans 56.375kph ??
User avatar boardhanger

03 Jul 2011 22:13

If theres one person to do it, it would be Cancellara.
User avatar Havetts

03 Jul 2011 22:21

Havetts wrote:If theres one person to do it, it would be Cancellara.

Track expericence....as Fabian said there is places on the road where one can coast....???The track a different game?
User avatar boardhanger

03 Jul 2011 22:30

boardhanger wrote:Track expericence....as Fabian said there is places on the road where one can coast....???The track a different game?

True and yes on the road the wind could have a HUGE influence, either wind in the back or headwind.
User avatar Havetts

03 Jul 2011 22:36

Cancellara could learn the ways of the track if he really wanted to. Wiggins cannot learn to put down the amount of power that Spartacus can.
User avatar Jamsque
Veteran

03 Jul 2011 22:45

boardhanger wrote:Does he possess or another in the current peleton capabale of beating Boardmans 56.375kph ??

I hope you know that this is best performance, not the official record.
Bike Boy

03 Jul 2011 22:54

Jamsque wrote:Cancellara could learn the ways of the track if he really wanted to. Wiggins cannot learn to put down the amount of power that Spartacus can.
The Hour isn't just about power, rather the measured application of it. That is something that Wiggins has years of experience of. Wiggins comes from a pursuiting background just as Boardman did. Plus he has one of the fastest tracks in the world to train on in his back yard.
User avatar ultimobici

03 Jul 2011 23:01

Bike Boy wrote:I hope you know that this is best performance, not the official record.

It's a little disingenuous of the UCI to retroactively relegate those hour records which made use of developments in metallurgy and aerodynamics after Merckxs effort to the category of "Best Human Effort", and then decree that the bike has to be like the one used by Eddy Merckx, don't you think?

Eddy (and Ole Ritter when he attempted again) were using the best of what they could get at the time (with bikes weighing less than the current UCI minimum), which far surpassed anything that Desgrange, Petit-Breton, Coppi or even Anquetil had access to. Perhaps the "Best Human Effort" section should be pulled back to when Fausto Coppi set the record?
Mama mia, dove sono i farmacia!
User avatar For The World

03 Jul 2011 23:24

For The World wrote:It's a little disingenuous of the UCI to retroactively relegate those hour records which made use of developments in metallurgy and aerodynamics after Merckxs effort to the category of "Best Human Effort", and then decree that the bike has to be like the one used by Eddy Merckx, don't you think?

Eddy (and Ole Ritter when he attempted again) were using the best of what they could get at the time (with bikes weighing less than the current UCI minimum), which far surpassed anything that Desgrange, Petit-Breton, Coppi or even Anquetil had access to. Perhaps the "Best Human Effort" section should be pulled back to when Fausto Coppi set the record?

flat effort are you familiar with momentum? imo a heavier bike and wheels would likely be better for a flat hour record. i always notice when carrying stuff home my speed stays higher once there from the added weight. of course only benefit flat ground individual stuff with no slow down speed up issues. other tech issues aside i see no difference....
User avatar forty four

03 Jul 2011 23:33

Jack Bobridge. Already taken Boardmands 4000 record. Took U23 World TT Championship (19 or 20 at the time) - not ready for it now, but if anyone was going to take it, he'd be the best bet. That said, the hour record really doesn't have the prestige it once had so doubt he will try it.
PCutter

03 Jul 2011 23:38

is he in the road or track?or both. i never heard of him again (after that)
i want a perfect body,
i want a perfect soul.
User avatar c&cfan

04 Jul 2011 00:00

The official hour record:
1 Ondrej Sosenka (2005) 49.700
2 Chris Boardman (2000) 49.441
3 Eddy Merckx (1973) 49.431

I believe Wiggins, Cancellara and Martin are all able to break this if they really make it a goal.
User avatar Pantani_lives

04 Jul 2011 00:22

c&cfan wrote:is he in the road or track?or both. i never heard of him again (after that)

He is still riding both. I think his next major track goal is the Olympics
User avatar Martin318is

04 Jul 2011 04:56

forty four wrote:flat effort are you familiar with momentum? imo a heavier bike and wheels would likely be better for a flat hour record. i always notice when carrying stuff home my speed stays higher once there from the added weight. of course only benefit flat ground individual stuff with no slow down speed up issues. other tech issues aside i see no difference....

yep, a flywheel effect. helps to smooth out peaks and valleys due to variable torque on the pedals. thus improving average power and speed.

if the hour effort was dependent on hard accelerations, then lighter wheels would be preferable. but (with minor fluctuations due to track turns) the ideal effort required should be as constant as possible.

oh, and i do believe wiggins can do it.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

04 Jul 2011 21:58

python wrote:yep, a flywheel effect. helps to smooth out peaks and valleys due to variable torque on the pedals. thus improving average power and speed.

if the hour effort was dependent on hard accelerations, then lighter wheels would be preferable. but (with minor fluctuations due to track turns) the ideal effort required should be as constant as possible.

oh, and i do believe wiggins can do it.

The amount of additional inertia added to a bike + rider system from heavier wheels would be negligible.

All that matters is aerodynamics, power output and good pacing.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

05 Jul 2011 00:46

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:The amount of additional inertia added to a bike + rider system from heavier wheels would be negligible.

All that matters is aerodynamics, power output and good pacing.

Ah, but in the lexicon of GB Cycling/Team Sky, negligible = marginal gains.

Given there's 269 metres covering Sosenka, Boardman and Merckx, wouldn't you say that's pretty marginal?

(Also, Sosenka's record is open for discrediting. But that's for another part of the forums.)
“Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity” - Lord Charles Beresford.

Met de Versnelling wrote:Mark my words, Frank will finish above Andy in the Tour.
User avatar Met de Versnelling

05 Jul 2011 05:25

Met de Versnelling wrote:Ah, but in the lexicon of GB Cycling/Team Sky, negligible = marginal gains.

Given there's 269 metres covering Sosenka, Boardman and Merckx, wouldn't you say that's pretty marginal?

When I say negligible, I mean the change in inertia is negligible, not the impact to performance.

I consider its impact on actual performance for an hour record to be zero. Which is a fraction less than negligible.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

05 Jul 2011 09:43

forty four wrote:flat effort are you familiar with momentum? imo a heavier bike and wheels would likely be better for a flat hour record. i always notice when carrying stuff home my speed stays higher once there from the added weight. of course only benefit flat ground individual stuff with no slow down speed up issues. other tech issues aside i see no difference....

I certainly am familiar with the principles of momentum and extra weight, especially when I ride home with a fully loaded backpack. However, that still doesn't explain why the UCI decided that the Merckx attempt was the point where the hour record should be split into two.
Mama mia, dove sono i farmacia!
User avatar For The World

05 Jul 2011 11:16

For The World wrote:I certainly am familiar with the principles of momentum and extra weight, especially when I ride home with a fully loaded backpack. However, that still doesn't explain why the UCI decided that the Merckx attempt was the point where the hour record should be split into two.

because it's totally random, just like the UCI :p
Life's too important to be taken seriously
Doping sucks

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.

hrotha wrote:You guys have an ancient barbarian mentality. Charge right in and be inevitably slaughtered by the superior foe, so that you can be buried with your sword and your silly notions of an "honorable fight".
and proud of it :D
User avatar Michielveedeebee

08 Jul 2011 00:15

For The World wrote:It's a little disingenuous of the UCI to retroactively relegate those hour records which made use of developments in metallurgy and aerodynamics after Merckxs effort to the category of "Best Human Effort", and then decree that the bike has to be like the one used by Eddy Merckx, don't you think?

Yes I do.

Funny. I recall reading somewhere that Merkcx bike weighted 5.5 kg. Today it's illegal to attempt the record on equal terms. What a paradox!
Bike Boy

Next

Return to General