Log in:  

Register

New Velodromes Opening

From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Moderator: Tonton

13 Jan 2015 18:26

oldcrank wrote:Deek won the marathon in both 82/Brisbane
and 86/Edinburgh...but regarding velodromes,
even though the 1980 Moscow Olympics
were held indoors, in 1982 a 333 concrete
outdoor track was still very much accepted
as world class.
And to your other point, it would not make
too much sense to build the Queensland
State Velodrome on the Gold Coast if it is
expected to "pay for itself" in the future,
as most sports facilities are now required
to do. I am quite sure that most of the
Gold Coast tax-payers are happy that the
track is in Brisbane in case it does need
injections of funds to keep it afloat. (In
2008, Alex Fulcher MBE, OAM told me that
the Bankstown Sports Club contributes
about $1 million a year to run Dunc Gray)

the banana benders have produced some decent roadies, they might start producing more, and also more trackies. Hepburn is from the gold coast. I am not sure if he has 100% turned his back on the track, but quite a few of this new era, T Meyer, Howard (tho still fit and about 25), Hepburn (still on GE), and Bobridge (back to focus on boards and riding domestic with forklifts), Dale Parker ret.

Durbridge is still uncertain, same with Cam Meyer.

I dont expect them to all be Cancellara or Nibali, but all these riders demonstrated tonnes of promise.

etc. The game is tough. Gerrans had to do about 5 years before he got his start with AGdeuxR. And shlepped around with Ringkerike Norde Bianchi in Norway freezing his balls off for a coupla years. Now his palmares are on a equivalent standing of Anderson, OGrady, Evans, and Mcewen, and surpasses riders like Goss and Cooke and other major talents like Mcgee and Davis.

seems there is a pay off for doing it the hard way. I wonder if Matty White will take a nibble at Porte, because he has foreshadowed this. I have been really impressed with Albasini. poor mans Gerro.

And all the other bargain basement purchases he has made, have been brilliant steals. I think White is the MVP of the peloton. And SBS need to put Cookie on a retainer and per dieum during the Tour, and have him every day do the post show. He is still a boss. Cuts thru the crap. fresh air.
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,234
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 19:20

19 Jan 2015 01:22

blackcat wrote:the banana benders have produced some decent roadies, they might start producing more, and also more trackies. Hepburn is from the gold coast. I am not sure if he has 100% turned his back on the track, but quite a few of this new era, T Meyer, Howard (tho still fit and about 25), Hepburn (still on GE), and Bobridge (back to focus on boards and riding domestic with forklifts), Dale Parker ret.

Durbridge is still uncertain, same with Cam Meyer.

I dont expect them to all be Cancellara or Nibali, but all these riders demonstrated tonnes of promise.

etc. The game is tough. Gerrans had to do about 5 years before he got his start with AGdeuxR. And shlepped around with Ringkerike Norde Bianchi in Norway freezing his balls off for a coupla years. Now his palmares are on a equivalent standing of Anderson, OGrady, Evans, and Mcewen, and surpasses riders like Goss and Cooke and other major talents like Mcgee and Davis.

seems there is a pay off for doing it the hard way. I wonder if Matty White will take a nibble at Porte, because he has foreshadowed this. I have been really impressed with Albasini. poor mans Gerro.

And all the other bargain basement purchases he has made, have been brilliant steals. I think White is the MVP of the peloton. And SBS need to put Cookie on a retainer and per dieum during the Tour, and have him every day do the post show. He is still a boss. Cuts thru the crap. fresh air.

Queensland has always had decent trackies and not just in and around Brisbane (Hepburn is from Brisbane's Western Suburbs BTW, not the Gold Coast.)

Chandler is decent enough for an outdoor, concrete Velodrome but not for an event like the Commonwealth Games. A new velodrome on the Gold Coast would not get the same use as Brisbane, where there are at least 6 clubs that regularly train and race on the track.

Allan Davis, Robbie McEwen, Ben Kersten, Michael Hepburn, Jordan Kerby (Drapac), Mitch Mulhern, Jay McCarthy (Saxo), Luke Davison, Anna Meares and Shara Gillow are just a few riders to come through the QAS system on the track.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1


evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,282
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

19 Jan 2015 02:29

With work on the new QLD State Velodrome
started and due to be completed in mid-2016
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3V2bEgpQ4
I really hope Cycling Australia and Cycling
Queensland make a bid for the UCI World
Masters Track Championships for 2017 as
the current contract with Manchester only
runs through 2016.
Team GB 2016: victoRIOus, happy and gloRIOus
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,374
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

19 Jan 2015 19:27

42x16ss wrote:Queensland has always had decent trackies and not just in and around Brisbane (Hepburn is from Brisbane's Western Suburbs BTW, not the Gold Coast.)

Chandler is decent enough for an outdoor, concrete Velodrome but not for an event like the Commonwealth Games. A new velodrome on the Gold Coast would not get the same use as Brisbane, where there are at least 6 clubs that regularly train and race on the track.

Allan Davis, Robbie McEwen, Ben Kersten, Michael Hepburn, Jordan Kerby (Drapac), Mitch Mulhern, Jay McCarthy (Saxo), Luke Davison, Anna Meares and Shara Gillow are just a few riders to come through the QAS system on the track.

and they will be even better with a international competition quality training ground!


cheers for reply
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,234
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 19:20

26 Jan 2015 01:01

Recent video from the opening of the cycling/athletics
Thorvald Ellegaard Arena in Odense, Denmark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETPoOq7LufY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVasc2RGNkk
Team GB 2016: victoRIOus, happy and gloRIOus
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,374
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

07 Feb 2015 16:48

There has been talk about restoring/renovating
the Vigorelli for years and years, but perhaps
now that Davide Cassini is encouraging the Italian
youth to participate in track and bmx it is really
going to happen:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/italys-vigorelli-ready-make-153653

The refurbished Vigorelli would be a perfect venue
for the re-introduction of the UCI Motor-Paced
World Championship and the Tandem Sprint World
Championship. When these events were previously
on the calendar they were not open to women.
Obviously, that would have to change.
Team GB 2016: victoRIOus, happy and gloRIOus
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,374
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

08 Feb 2015 04:59

I visited the Vigorelli velodrome in 1986 time frame. Track was unusable - wood surface was deteriorated with plenty of large splinters. My vist was during an American football match between Milano Lions and another Italian team (most players were American). No partial roof as shown in the Cycling Weekly picture.
avanti
Member
 
Posts: 1,151
Joined: 11 May 2009 05:52
Location: At 1,585 m elevation

08 Feb 2015 05:13

Boulder Valley Velodrome in Colorado, USA, is now open.
http://www.bouldervalleyvelodrome.com/news/
avanti
Member
 
Posts: 1,151
Joined: 11 May 2009 05:52
Location: At 1,585 m elevation

Re: New Velodromes Opening

26 Jun 2015 21:23

The velodrome/arena in Derby has been open for a few months now

Image

It could be better described as a sports centre with a velodrome included. There's a gym, watt bike room and fitness studios on the top floor. Conference facilities on the second and as you can see, the velodrome runs on top of sports courts at ground level. It will also be periodically converted to a 5,000 capacity venue with Jimmy Carr playing there in two weeks.

I've never ridden on the track before, so am really looking forward to my first session in a couple of weeks time.

Have also got tickets for the first big cycle event there, round one of the Revolution series in August. Bradley Wiggins has been confirmed and hopefully a few other big names. One thing I noticed when booking is that most of the spectators will be standing in the middle, below the track. Can't remember seeing this arrangement before?
postmanhat
Member
 
Posts: 708
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 17:47
Location: Derby, UK

03 Jul 2015 13:08

That track looks very cool! I signed up to ride on the Glasgow track but haven't done it yet, I might start when the winter closes in...
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 5,683
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: New Velodromes Opening

11 Jul 2015 13:44

postmanhat wrote:The velodrome/arena in Derby has been open for a few months now

Image

It could be better described as a sports centre with a velodrome included. There's a gym, watt bike room and fitness studios on the top floor. Conference facilities on the second and as you can see, the velodrome runs on top of sports courts at ground level. It will also be periodically converted to a 5,000 capacity venue with Jimmy Carr playing there in two weeks.

I've never ridden on the track before, so am really looking forward to my first session in a couple of weeks time.

Have also got tickets for the first big cycle event there, round one of the Revolution series in August. Bradley Wiggins has been confirmed and hopefully a few other big names. One thing I noticed when booking is that most of the spectators will be standing in the middle, below the track. Can't remember seeing this arrangement before?

I'm not sure who leads the taster sesssions, but the
Derbyshire Institute of Sport's cycling program is in
very capable hands with Mr. Geoff Cooke as it's head
coach. Geoff is a former Olympian, a Commonwealth
Games Gold Medallist, many time British Champion,
former British Coach, and recently has won many
World Masters Championships and set a number of
World, European and British Masters records.
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,374
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

Re: New Velodromes Opening

13 Jul 2015 21:17

Cheers oldcrank! Didn't even know there was a Derbyshire Institute of Sport :o

Popped in there on Saturday afternoon to book something else and found out that restaurant-botherer Gordon Ramsay was riding the track, along with F1's Jenson Button. Some sort of tie-in with a big Jenson Button charity triathlon the next day. There was only about six other people watching so couldn't have been very well publicised. As I was leaving, someone passed me with an Orica Greenedge bike bag - Adam Blythe!

Sidebar of shame;

Jenson Button - much smaller in real life, but in incredible shape. Not an ounce of fat on him.

Adam Blythe - tiny, thought it was Caleb Ewan at first. Immaculate though, looked like a model.

Gordon Ramsay - actually looked bigger in real life. Not in bad shape for a big bloke
postmanhat
Member
 
Posts: 708
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 17:47
Location: Derby, UK

31 Jul 2015 06:23

indoor velodrome in beijing,LAO Shan velodrome
William Bettee
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 31 Jul 2015 06:04

Re:

21 Sep 2015 01:20

oldcrank wrote:With work on the new QLD State Velodrome
started and due to be completed in mid-2016
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3V2bEgpQ4
I really hope Cycling Australia and Cycling
Queensland make a bid for the UCI World
Masters Track Championships for 2017 as
the current contract with Manchester only
runs through 2016.

Another progress report from the new velodrome in lovely Brisbane, QLD.
http://www.qld.cycling.org.au/News/All-News/queensland-state-velodrome-update
Elite/U19 Track Nationals slated for Brisbane in both 2017 and 2018,
with the U17/U15 Championships also scheduled there in 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkjP2dNRwAg
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,374
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

Re: Re:

09 Oct 2015 02:58

oldcrank wrote:
oldcrank wrote:With work on the new QLD State Velodrome
started and due to be completed in mid-2016
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3V2bEgpQ4
I really hope Cycling Australia and Cycling
Queensland make a bid for the UCI World
Masters Track Championships for 2017 as
the current contract with Manchester only
runs through 2016.

Another progress report from the new velodrome in lovely Brisbane, QLD.
http://www.qld.cycling.org.au/News/All-News/queensland-state-velodrome-update
Elite/U19 Track Nationals slated for Brisbane in both 2017 and 2018,
with the U17/U15 Championships also scheduled there in 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkjP2dNRwAg

I'll see if I can get some photos over the weekend, it's coming along nicely.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,282
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re:

05 Mar 2016 01:08

oldcrank wrote:With work on the new QLD State Velodrome
started and due to be completed in mid-2016
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3V2bEgpQ4
I really hope Cycling Australia and Cycling
Queensland make a bid for the UCI World
Masters Track Championships for 2017 as
the current contract with Manchester only
runs through 2016
.

World Masters won't be in Bris-vegas in 2017
(Los Angeles for 2017 and 2018) but the new
track continues to take shape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1dIwkYjgTs
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,374
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

24 Mar 2016 15:11

A new indoor velodrome was recently announced for Edmonton Alberta. Canada will have 3 indoor velodromes soon. A 200 in Burnaby BC, and 250 in Edmonton, and Milton Ontario.
User avatar Master50
Member
 
Posts: 1,162
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:52
Location: Vancouver Island

24 Nov 2016 14:04

Looks like there will be an indoor track announcement on December 1st. Dale Hughes designer. Midwest US.
User avatar eporesis
New Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Aug 2012 00:29
Location: Manhattan

01 Dec 2016 15:29

Detroit track seems to be a 167m indoor right smack downtown just north of the pro football and baseball stadiums, next to Wayne State University, and just south of the Art Institute. IIRC, this is the old Brewster Housing location. I lived in Detroit in the 90s, downtown, not a place I'd go. Let's hope this works. Given it's a Dale Hughes project (via 501c3 non profit), expect the esthetic to run toward utilitarian. Groundbreaking Jan 3.
User avatar eporesis
New Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Aug 2012 00:29
Location: Manhattan

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Back to top