Log in:  

Register

2015 World Track Championships

From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Moderator: Tonton

2015 World Track Championships

12 Feb 2015 18:38

Welcome to the World Championship forum!

The French will certainly be flying high. The Brits and Australia should make this a great event, leading up to the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

Add your thoughts and remember once the racing starts there will be results (spoilers) if you haven't been watching the action.
TShame
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 31 Mar 2009 11:35

USA Team

12 Feb 2015 18:40

A brief look at team USA. I think the USA team is the largest since 2005 championships in LA.

http://www.usacycling.org/track/

Men?s roster
Matt Baranoski (Perkasie, Pa./Custom Velo): keirin*
Jacob Duehring (Irvine, Calif./GS Ciao): omnium
Bobby Lea (Mertztown, Pa./Custom Velo): individual pursuit*; scratch race
Nick Rogers (Philadelphia, Pa./QCW Breakawaybikes.com p/b Felt Bicycles-JLVelo): points race

Women?s roster
Missy Erickson (Alexandria, Minn./Momentum Coaching Group p/b Atomic-Momentum Coaching Group): keirin*; sprint
Kim Geist (Emmaus, Pa./Chester County Cycling Foundation-Team Alliance Environmental): points race; scratch race
Sarah Hammer (Temecula, Calif./TWENTY16 p/b SHO-AIR): omnium*; individual pursuit*; team pursuit
Carmen Small (Durango, Colo./Team TWENTY16 p/b SHO-AIR): team pursuit
Lauren Tamayo (Asheville, N.C./ UCI PCT/WPT: UnitedHealthcare): team pursuit
Jennifer Valente (San Diego, Calif./TWENTY16 p/b SHO-AIR): team pursuit
Ruth Winder (Lafayette, Calif./UCI PCT/WPT: UnitedHealthcare): team pursuit

Bobby Lea skipping the Omnium is surprising. His pursuit form has been fast. Without the omnium tiredness, he can certainly medal.

Sarah Hammer has a lot on her plate, maybe too much racing before the omnium.
TShame
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 31 Mar 2009 11:35

12 Feb 2015 19:15

As always in the Men's speed events, much depends
on the the injuries the riders have recently sustained.
Pervis crashed in Cali (17 Jan) and Glaetzer crashed
at the Nationals (31 Jan) two days after recording an
Aussie All-Comers record of 9.826. Probably others
that have polished the pine recently as well.

Also interested to see if racing both sprint and keirin
at all three World Cups (and winning the overall jersey
in both events) has taken too much out of Puerta. He
certainly has gained valuable experience for 2016 even
if he doesn't equal or better his Keirin silver from 2014
at this years Championships.
Team GB 2016: victoRIOus, happy and gloRIOus
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,459
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

14 Feb 2015 13:58

It's great that everyone will have a rear-facing
camera on their bike at the Worlds this year.
It was forward facing helmet cams, though, that
were so well received during the BMX and the
Downhill Championship coverage. Ms. Pajon's
BMX helmet cam (with sound) captured the
excitement and thrills of her race as well as the
immediate aftermath and Ratboy's Downhill helmet
cam captured his quick glance down when he
broke his ankle within sight of the finish line.

I think the TV coverage of the team pursuits and
team sprints will be truly amazing with the on-bike
cameras and may help create a new generation
of track cyclists and track cycling fans.
Team GB 2016: victoRIOus, happy and gloRIOus
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,459
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

14 Feb 2015 21:58

I think the cameras are a complete waste of time. They are too jumpy and have low resolution. The 'teaser' they released looks terrible. It serves no real purpose.
TShame
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 31 Mar 2009 11:35

14 Feb 2015 23:55

A couple of videos from @NettieEdmo....as per usual,
there seems to be a relaxed mood in the Aussie camp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPfsz4lBX5g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdlM-xQ01V8
Team GB 2016: victoRIOus, happy and gloRIOus
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,459
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

15 Feb 2015 22:44

TShame
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 31 Mar 2009 11:35

16 Feb 2015 04:41

TShame wrote:Bobby Lea (Mertztown, Pa./Custom Velo): individual pursuit*;
Bobby Lea skipping the Omnium is surprising. His pursuit form has been fast. Without the omnium tiredness, he can certainly medal.

I think he could win. The Brits and Aussies too focused on the TP. so they will gave their best riders doing TP training for the 3'54" times, difficult to juggle doing an IP with that. Clancy is one cat who could do it if they asked him to, but he wont. Maybe Steven Burke or Peter Kennaugh could juggle it. Bobridge is back focusing on the track, so thow him in the mix too.
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,232
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 19:20

16 Feb 2015 04:47

oldcrank wrote:It's great that everyone will have a rear-facing
camera on their bike at the Worlds this year.
It was forward facing helmet cams, though, that
were so well received during the BMX and the
Downhill Championship coverage. Ms. Pajon's
BMX helmet cam (with sound) captured the
excitement and thrills of her race as well as the
immediate aftermath and Ratboy's Downhill helmet
cam captured his quick glance down when he
broke his ankle within sight of the finish line.

I think the TV coverage of the team pursuits and
team sprints will be truly amazing with the on-bike
cameras and may help create a new generation
of track cyclists and track cycling fans.

like the shimano or sram camera that Giant-Alpecin's John Degenkolb had in a sprint with his leadout train.
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,232
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 19:20

16 Feb 2015 16:05

Yesterdays video from the Aussies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oBmEXA4yDE&feature=youtu.be

Not new, but very good on Francois Pervis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GWw31J60cM

EDIT: Latest from Cyling Australia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jleCizArFGY
Team GB 2016: victoRIOus, happy and gloRIOus
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,459
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

17 Feb 2015 20:53

What do you make of the omnium? Gaviria is the big favourite for me, maybe Viviani can Challenge him. Will also look closely at Casper Pedersen from Denmark, he is a great talent.
Bushman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,129
Joined: 03 Jun 2012 22:00
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

18 Feb 2015 01:52

Bushman wrote:What do you make of the omnium? Gaviria is the big favourite for me, maybe Viviani can Challenge him. Will also look closely at Casper Pedersen from Denmark, he is a great talent.

Yes, I think Gaviria is a proven winner
and one of the favourites in a pretty
good field.

I think either Law or O'Shea (AUS),
Beyer or Liss (GER), Suter or Beer
(SUI), De Buyst (BEL), Boudat (FRA),
Veldt (NED), or Gate (NZL) could
challenge those you named for a
spot on the podium. It is very tough
to pick a favourite, but Gaviria has
shown he is excellent in the timed
events and savvy in the bunch races
as well, so that makes him a most
formidable opponent.
Team GB 2016: victoRIOus, happy and gloRIOus
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,459
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

18 Feb 2015 08:14

oldcrank wrote:Yes, I think Gaviria is a proven winner
and one of the favourites in a pretty
good field.

I think either Law or O'Shea (AUS),
Beyer or Liss (GER), Suter or Beer
(SUI), De Buyst (BEL), Boudat (FRA),
Veldt (NED), or Gate (NZL) could
challenge those you named for a
spot on the podium. It is very tough
to pick a favourite, but Gaviria has
shown he is excellent in the timed
events and savvy in the bunch races
as well, so that makes him a most
formidable opponent.

Gate, he is not the flying mullet, who is the flying mullet. Archbold is the mullet
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,232
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 19:20

18 Feb 2015 08:17

oldcrank wrote:Yes, I think Gaviria is a proven winner
and one of the favourites in a pretty
good field.

I think either Law or O'Shea (AUS),
Beyer or Liss (GER), Suter or Beer
(SUI), De Buyst (BEL), Boudat (FRA),
Veldt (NED), or Gate (NZL) could
challenge those you named for a
spot on the podium. It is very tough
to pick a favourite, but Gaviria has
shown he is excellent in the timed
events and savvy in the bunch races
as well, so that makes him a most
formidable opponent.

but if OShea is doing team pursuit training, like Clancy, it will sap his preparation and legs. I think like Clancy OShea has less facility in mass start events
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,232
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 19:20

18 Feb 2015 17:15

First session news:

Women's pursuit:

The Aussies qualified 2/10ths ahead of Great Britain at 4:18. They will face New Zealand at 4:25.

Canada with a 4:20 will go up against the Brits.

Looks like Aussies and Britain may clash in the gold medal finals if they can keep there times as fast.
TShame
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 31 Mar 2009 11:35

18 Feb 2015 17:31

Opening lap breakage/puncture and crash for
Aussie men. First 2000 excellent in restart, but
ragged finish to end up in 5th...so the best
they can do is a bronze, no matter how fast
they go in the next round. NZL qualified first
3:56.421, GBR next 3:57.716, then GER, SUI,
AUS, NED, RUS, FRA 4:00.783.
Team GB 2016: victoRIOus, happy and gloRIOus
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,459
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

18 Feb 2015 18:44

Men's Pursuit:

New Zealand at 3:56 and in 4th Switzerland 3:58.88

Great Britain at 3:57 against Germany at 3:58.86

Aussies in 5th at 3:58.9

I made a mistake above:
The winners of the top 4 teams do fight for silver and bronze.
However, the remaining six teams go by fastest times to fight for bronze.
So, Aussies could get into the bronze.
It will be a tight bronze race!
TShame
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 31 Mar 2009 11:35

Men's Team Sprint

18 Feb 2015 21:41

Image

New Zealand had a great time in the gold medal final against France, under 43 seconds. Then, the sad news...relegation. This picture was shown. The second rider went over the red line. I couldn't tell if that was the main problem or if his front wheel went past the first rider's rear wheel. Devastation for the men in black.

Men's team sprint
1. France
2. New Zealand
3. Germany
TShame
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 31 Mar 2009 11:35

18 Feb 2015 21:48

Image

Women's team sprint

Despite this huge gap, China stormed to a world record 32.034.

1. China
2. Russia
3. Australia
TShame
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 31 Mar 2009 11:35

18 Feb 2015 21:49

TShame wrote:Image

New Zealand had a great time in the gold medal final against France, under 43 seconds. Then, the sad news...relegation. This picture was shown. The second rider went over the red line. I couldn't tell if that was the main problem or if his front wheel went past the first rider's rear wheel. Devastation for the men in black.

Men's team sprint
1. France
2. New Zealand
3. Germany

Yes, it was an early change (but after the above photograph).
Team GB 2016: victoRIOus, happy and gloRIOus
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,459
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Back to top