Register

Olympic Track Cycling

From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Moderator: Tonton

Re: Olympic Track Cycling

17 Aug 2016 00:28

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/08/14/olympics-cycling/rio-volunteer-setting-pace-keirin-cyclists/

Euan CX ‏@euancx
FYI, it appears the man riding the e-derny had zero derny experience before the games
pastronef

17 Aug 2016 01:04

It's a real shame at least one more endurance event/bunch race isn't allowed into the Olympic programme. The Points race and Scratch race make for much more aggressive and entertaining riding when they aren't part of a multi-event competition like in the omnium.
JRanton

Re:

17 Aug 2016 05:58

Andy262 wrote:Not convinced he was ahead before the line, but the angle is poor

stupid mistake from organizers/UCI - no camera on the line :rolleyes:
glassmoon

Re: Re:

17 Aug 2016 05:59

Aproblem wrote:
Singer01 wrote:there are a lot of bitter pointless twats on here. if jason kenny is winning because he is juiced, why is he so teeny tiny? i'll give you a lot of others but a sport that involves muscle mass being won by someone with such a different body shape, maybe its not just drugs?

Yep's it not just the drugs. It's also the fact that rules seem to be completely different for British cyclists.

after what i've seen at these Games, i gotta agree.
glassmoon

17 Aug 2016 06:52

JRanton wrote:It's a real shame at least one more endurance event/bunch race isn't allowed into the Olympic programme. The Points race and Scratch race make for much more aggressive and entertaining riding when they aren't part of a multi-event competition like in the omnium.

This. The Keirin, Team Sprint and Individual Sprint are all basically the same race. Is it a surprise the best sprinter won all three? The velodrome action really misses a 250 lap points race and/or Madison.
Andy262

Re:

17 Aug 2016 07:25

Derry wrote:Rules don't apply for British cyclists?
- Froome can run and gets the time of other riders
- Cavendish can slam someone out of an event
- Arminstead can miss 3 doping tests
- Kenny can pass the derny

No, it seems they don't apply. Even the Empire crew must be starting to realise, surely?
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

17 Aug 2016 08:14

Well, welcome to 1976 rowing or 1988 swimming, and in the role of East Germany (mind you I am talking dominance, not doping) we have... rolling drums...

Tada !

Really the track events have been a farce. I can very much envision the Brits not being juiced up but justed having the best equipment by far making ginormous differences + the most optimized nutritional/medicational preparation that falls within the boundaries of the rules. All in all there is no cheating, but the stench of a competition that turned into a parody.
veji11

17 Aug 2016 08:58

does anybody think the Netherlands are just as suspicious as the UK? 2G 2S 1B from a country with about 1/4 of the population of the UK?
Singer01

Re:

17 Aug 2016 09:24

Singer01 wrote:does anybody think the Netherlands are just as suspicious as the UK? 2G 2S 1B from a country with about 1/4 of the population of the UK?

Nah... come on this is ridiculous.

First of all you are mixing things up by puttin Road cycling and track cycling together there, were a talking track here so don't try and sidetrack (ha !) the issue.

Second the issue isn't the number of medals relative to the size of the country. when one hungarian swimmer wins 3 gold medals, does it statistically speaking make Hungary a suspicious country in comparison with China or the US ? Your purely statistic approach is fallacious.

Third the main issue here is that one country managed to crush everybody else. No single talent from any other country could compete. In swimming for example numbers (talent pool) and quality of training, infrastructure, etc do speak and mean that countries like the US get lots of medals. But individual great talents from other countries still have their chance : a great hungarian or aussie or french or welsh swimmer can win, and the usual ebb and flow of great generational talent applies : give a country 2 or 3 great athletes and they get many medals on one olympic games or 2 but once that specific generation falters, that peak fades.

Here since 2008 and getting more and more pronounced at each olympic games we have had an utter crushing of the field by one country. Some athletes are sore losers, and some french comments were hilarious in that regard because (and I am french) our horrible results are because of our own bad preparation otherwise we would have many more silver and bronze medals, but to see french, germans, australians and more all make those veiled comments about not doing the same sports and basically there it being nothing to be done against the Britons does make track cycling a parody of competition for these olympic games.
veji11

17 Aug 2016 09:32

This is not the clinic, go discuss doping there.

I'm not surprised by the GB performance in the velodrome to be honest. They have dropped off in the womens' sprint a bit but I think that's probably because of the loss of Victoria Pendleton and the attitude towards womens' cycling within the team that seems to be being revealed over the last few months. Other than that they have remained at a fairly constant level, either by keeping/bringing back top performers like Wiggins, Trott, Clancy, Rowsell, Burke, Kenny, Hindes and having replacements ready for the names who have dropped out like Thomas, Hoy, King, Kennaugh. GB are almost certain to win less gold medals this cycle than the last two but possibly one medal overall in Phillips delivers in the BMX. If you look at '08 and '12 they have performed at pretty much the exact level you would have expected.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

17 Aug 2016 09:40

veji11 wrote:Here since 2008 and getting more and more pronounced at each olympic games

This is not correct. Track cycling medals:

7 Gold
3 Silver
2 Bronze

7 Gold
1 Silver
1 Bronze

6 Gold
4 Silver
2 Bronze

GB have got worse at each Olympics. Of course 2012 needs to be taken with the caveat that only one rider from each competing nation could enter, but even if that wasn't the case it still wouldn't have meant more Golds.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re:

17 Aug 2016 09:46

King Boonen wrote:This is not the clinic, go discuss doping there.

I'm not surprised by the GB performance in the velodrome to be honest. They have dropped off in the womens' sprint a bit but I think that's probably because of the loss of Victoria Pendleton and the attitude towards womens' cycling within the team that seems to be being revealed over the last few months. Other than that they have remained at a fairly constant level, either by keeping/bringing back top performers like Wiggins, Trott, Clancy, Rowsell, Burke, Kenny, Hindes and having replacements ready for the names who have dropped out like Thomas, Hoy, King, Kennaugh. GB are almost certain to win less gold medals this cycle than the last two but possibly one medal overall in Phillips delivers in the BMX. If you look at '08 and '12 they have performed at pretty much the exact level you would have expected.

Hey dude I haven't talked doping, I have been talking domination. That you only find similar domination in such medal rich sports as track cycling in east german rowing or swimming in the late 70s or 80s or soviet gymnastic in the 50s and 60s is a fact.

But you can go to the clinic if you want.
veji11

17 Aug 2016 09:49

King Boonen wrote:
veji11 wrote:Here since 2008 and getting more and more pronounced at each olympic games

7 Gold
3 Silver
2 Bronze

7 Gold
1 Silver
1 Bronze

6 Gold
4 Silver
2 Bronze

GB have got worse at each Olympics. Of course 2012 needs to be taken with the caveat that only one rider from each competing nation could enter, but even if that wasn't the case it still wouldn't have meant more Golds.

True the end result is actually the same for those 3 olympiads (There are not getting worse though, don't play that card), they have achieved consistent domination over an 8 year period (or rather over 3 olympic games covering 12 years of preparation).
veji11

17 Aug 2016 09:54

veji11 wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

7 Gold
3 Silver
2 Bronze

7 Gold
1 Silver
1 Bronze

6 Gold
4 Silver
2 Bronze

True the end result is actually the same for those 3 olympiads (There are not getting worse though, don't play that card), they have achieved consistent domination over an 8 year period (or rather over 3 olympic games covering 12 years of preparation).

One less gold is clearly worse. ignoring 2012 due to the selection issues they have dropped a gold for a silver.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

17 Aug 2016 09:58

King Boonen wrote:
veji11 wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

7 Gold
3 Silver
2 Bronze

7 Gold
1 Silver
1 Bronze

6 Gold
4 Silver
2 Bronze

One less gold is clearly worse. ignoring 2012 due to the selection issues they have dropped a gold for a silver.

Clearly going from 12 medals to 9 then 12, and from 7 to 7 then 6 gold demonstrate a clear downward slope, a spiral dare I say....
veji11

17 Aug 2016 10:11

If you're going to be silly the conversation is over. Have fun.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

17 Aug 2016 10:29

King Boonen wrote:
veji11 wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

7 Gold
3 Silver
2 Bronze

7 Gold
1 Silver
1 Bronze

6 Gold
4 Silver
2 Bronze

Weren't there less events in 2012 compared with 2008 (and also 2016 to 2012)? So the total number of golds may have gone down but the % of events where they got gold has gone up?
TheSpud

17 Aug 2016 10:35

Anyone have any views on the American left side drive track bike? Would it make any difference do you think?
TheSpud

17 Aug 2016 10:36

TheSpud wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
veji11 wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

7 Gold
3 Silver
2 Bronze

7 Gold
1 Silver
1 Bronze

6 Gold
4 Silver
2 Bronze

Weren't there less events in 2012 compared with 2008 (and also 2016 to 2012)? So the total number of golds may have gone down but the % of events where they got gold has gone up?

No, there were 10 events each year. The changes were in the ratio of male to female events and which events were included in 2012. The events this cycle are the same as the last.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re:

17 Aug 2016 10:38

King Boonen wrote:If you're going to be silly the conversation is over. Have fun.

Come on saying that the results were worse, whereas statistically you were right to correct me in that they were astonishingly consistent in their excellence over the last 3 olympic games, was being silly wasn't it ?
veji11

PreviousNext

Return to General