Register

Olympic Track Cycling

From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Moderator: Tonton

Re: Re:

17 Aug 2016 16:57

veji11 wrote:
Singer01 wrote:does anybody think the Netherlands are just as suspicious as the UK? 2G 2S 1B from a country with about 1/4 of the population of the UK?

Third the main issue here is that one country managed to crush everybody else. No single talent from any other country could compete. In swimming for example numbers (talent pool) and quality of training, infrastructure, etc do speak and mean that countries like the US get lots of medals. But individual great talents from other countries still have their chance : a great hungarian or aussie or french or welsh swimmer can win, and the usual ebb and flow of great generational talent applies : give a country 2 or 3 great athletes and they get many medals on one olympic games or 2 but once that specific generation falters, that peak fades.

If you look across many of the sports at the Olympics there is one dominant country. South Korea took all four archery golds. China have taken 5 of the 6 diving golds and have won all of the table tennis events so far. USA took 16 golds in swimming (the next highest took 3!). Why shouldn't a country be dominant at cycling?

I think there were really disappointing performances from Australia and France on the track. I also think that the Netherlands did pretty well. Will the British continue to dominate? With the current Olympic track program and the age of the British cyclists, I don't see why not.
User avatar freddybobs

17 Aug 2016 21:58

Not that anybody cares anymore but the video replay clearly showed that Awang, kenny and that german all broke the rules. The camera angle was from slightly behind the riders. Which means that the riders could have been just slightly overlapping the durny and would still have looked to be behind it. However all three were shown to be clearly overlapping the durny and it would be impossible for them to be doing anything other than cheating . It's all due to parallax or something. The same applies when you watch the baseball and the camera is always offset to the 3rd base side. If a pitch looks wide on the right as you look then is even wider in reality. A pitch which looks slightly wide on the left as you look is almost certainly a strike.

The judges shat it. Same with the non ruling on Cavendish hospitalising another rider.
GreasyChain

17 Aug 2016 22:02

While I'm here.

There's a clear problem with the women's omnium. Both men and women get 40 points for the first 5 events. So they could have an identical spread of points.
However the men then have 16 x 5 points for sprints and 160 laps in which to gain 20 points for gaining one.
The women only have 10 x 5 points in sprints and 100 laps in which to gain one for 20 points.

Either the women need to race 160 laps for the points race or their points ratio needs to be changed. Currently it's a nonsense.
GreasyChain

18 Aug 2016 08:04

If a 15% loss isn't downwards to you I recommend you pay someone to manage your finances. At least you've dropped your claim they have been improving in each Olympics.

The makeup of the British squad at the next world championships is going to be interesting. With retirements and road taking priority for a good few I reckon we'll see a very big drop.

I was glad to see Vogel get gold, she's always struck me as a very nice character.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

18 Aug 2016 08:11

King Boonen wrote:If a 15% loss isn't downwards to you I recommend you pay someone to manage your finances. At least you've dropped your claim they have been improving in each Olympics.

If a nation getting 7,7,6 gold medals over 3 olympic games and 12,9,12 medals over the same time span overall which is an incredibly consistent ratio of medals is a downward trend to you, I recommend you never do statistical analysis, every tiny bleep would seem to you like a massive trend reversal....
veji11

Re: Olympic Track Cycling

18 Aug 2016 08:52

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympic-games-australia-to-re-think-approach-to-track-after-coming-up-short-in-rio/

Tabotta suggests less focus on world championships ahead of 2020 games

chose your goals and focus on those ones

seems the AUS team is going the British way
pastronef

18 Aug 2016 09:03

pastronef wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympic-games-australia-to-re-think-approach-to-track-after-coming-up-short-in-rio/

The thing is I think all teams kept some improvements and equipment under wraps for the Olympics, the difference is that it only makes such a massive difference for team GB... It looks like everybody is going to treat other events like Regular Season in the NBA and the Olympics will be considered the playoffs, ie the only thing that really matters. In a way it's sad because it reduces a sport to an event every 4 years.
veji11

18 Aug 2016 09:07

veji11 wrote:
King Boonen wrote:If a 15% loss isn't downwards to you I recommend you pay someone to manage your finances. At least you've dropped your claim they have been improving in each Olympics.

If a nation getting 7,7,6 gold medals over 3 olympic games and 12,9,12 medals over the same time span overall which is an incredibly consistent ratio of medals is a downward trend to you, I recommend you never do statistical analysis, every tiny bleep would seem to you like a massive trend reversal....

Again with comparing total medals after being explained why you can't do it, it's apple to oranges. People pay lots of money for me to do their data analysis including statistics and publish the results in journals such as these:

http://www.rsc.org/journals-books-databases/about-journals/analyst/

http://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/

Journal of lipids research

Not had anything retracted yet.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

18 Aug 2016 09:10

pastronef wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympic-games-australia-to-re-think-approach-to-track-after-coming-up-short-in-rio/

It makes sense if you can guarantee the funding and support. Track cycling in the UK is only about the Olympics at the top level, the World Championships might get mentioned a bit but not really. Due to the success of the GB track squad it's a massively popular event at the Olympics, I think it was one of the most subscribed in 2012.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

18 Aug 2016 09:21

King Boonen wrote:
veji11 wrote:

Again with comparing total medals after being explained why you can't do it, it's apple to oranges. People pay lots of money for me to do their data analysis including statistics and publish the results in journals such as these:

http://www.rsc.org/journals-books-databases/about-journals/analyst/

http://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/

Journal of lipids research

Not had anything retracted yet.

Let's drop it King. you consider 7;12 than 7;9 than 6;12 to be a downward trend, I see it as sustained and constant excellence.
veji11

18 Aug 2016 09:43

veji11 wrote:
Let's drop it King. you consider 7;12 than 7;9 than 6;12 to be a downward trend, I see it as sustained and constant excellence.

No, I have no opinion on the total medals because they cannot be compared, do not attribute things to me I have repeatedly told you are wrong.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

18 Aug 2016 09:54

King Boonen wrote:
veji11 wrote:

No, I have no opinion on the total medals because they cannot be compared, do not attribute things to me I have repeatedly told you are wrong.

Gee. ok let phrase it again better : you can choose to discard total number of medals as a further element to illustrate the dominance of the british teams and focus only on gold where 7,7,6 shows indeed that there is one less gold. If you want to say that that one less gold is a decline, brilliant, one less gold is indeed, incredibly enough, one less gold, meaning that there is less of it so it is a decline...

Now the way I see it discarding other medals is bogus, because performance and dominance are illustrated not only by gold medals but by density at the highest level and in that regard other medals matter.

So i'll restate my view that there is constant and sustained dominance by the british team in track cycling in the same proportions as in previous olympic games. You see a downward trend because you chose to focus only on gold (an a change of one point makes no sense statiscally but hey you know better than me), I think it's ridiculous to use those words "downward trend" in regard to team GB track performance.
veji11

18 Aug 2016 10:13

You can only compare like for like. As explained due to the selection changes for 2012 you cannot compare lower level medals as competition was artificially removed. This is not hard to understand, it is a basic concept in experimental design. You can't even really compare 2008 with anything because the events were massively changed.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re:

18 Aug 2016 10:17

King Boonen wrote:You can only compare like for like. As explained due to the selection changes for 2012 you cannot compare lower level medals as competition was artificially removed. This is not hard to understand, it is a basic concept in experimental design. You can't even really compare 2008 with anything because the events were massively changed.

So don't compare anything with anything !
veji11

18 Aug 2016 19:44

http://www.bbc.com/sport/wales/37111582

Rio Olympics 2016: Ex-GB chief Sutton believed in me, says Becky James
pastronef

Previous

Return to General