Log in:  

Register

Olympic Track Cycling

From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Moderator: Tonton

15 Aug 2016 21:35

Huh

I saw that it was for unspecified 'incorrect behaviour'
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,506
Joined: 26 May 2009 21:26

15 Aug 2016 21:38

Sensational from Trott in the elimination race
Andy262
Junior Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: 27 Sep 2014 18:11

15 Aug 2016 21:40

Amazing dominance from Trott. That last sprint showed how much she'd been holding back.
User avatar SlickMongoose
Member
 
Posts: 564
Joined: 17 Sep 2014 19:26

Re:

16 Aug 2016 08:55

Singer01 wrote:trott looked very powerful there.

also, why were the two individual sprint GB women not the team sprint? they look like they could have done a bit of damage.


They didn't qualify for the team sprint.

Gloin22 wrote:How is cav not dsqed after that?

You can take out everyone and win in this **** lol


It was a racing incident, happens at every level from weeknight track league to the Olympics. It was Cavendishs' fault but I don't think it was intentional and at the end of the day it made no difference to the medals.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,473
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Re:

16 Aug 2016 09:50

King Boonen wrote:It was Cavendishs' fault but I don't think it was intentional and at the end of the day it made no difference to the medals.

That's a total non-argument.
Should I not be fined for driving 200 km/h through a village if I injured no-one?
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,156
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

Re: Re:

16 Aug 2016 09:56

Jagartrott wrote:
King Boonen wrote:It was Cavendishs' fault but I don't think it was intentional and at the end of the day it made no difference to the medals.

That's a total non-argument.
Should I not be fined for driving 200 km/h through a village if I injured no-one?


Thank you for the completely irrelevant comparison that has absolutely nothing to do with the incident being discussed.

It was a racing incident, end of. Anyone who has spent time watching track racing or racing themselves will have seen exactly the same move thousands of times.Crashes happen, get over it.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,473
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re:

16 Aug 2016 09:58

luckyboy wrote:Huh

I saw that it was for unspecified 'incorrect behaviour'


Kennett expended all his energy gaining the lap. The next time the pace was lifted he was dropped and eventually he gave up. The cameras showed him a couple of times but the commentators (in the UK at least) missed it.
Jaunty Monty
Junior Member
 
Posts: 101
Joined: 11 Apr 2011 08:35

Re:

16 Aug 2016 10:07

Singer01 wrote:also, why were the two individual sprint GB women not the team sprint? they look like they could have done a bit of damage.


Because BC screwed over the Women's sprint team by sending out B teams to some of the World Cups.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/02/jess-varnish-gb-coaches-rio-olympic-games-world-track-championships
Jaunty Monty
Junior Member
 
Posts: 101
Joined: 11 Apr 2011 08:35

Re: Re:

16 Aug 2016 10:11

King Boonen wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:
King Boonen wrote:It was Cavendishs' fault but I don't think it was intentional and at the end of the day it made no difference to the medals.

That's a total non-argument.
Should I not be fined for driving 200 km/h through a village if I injured no-one?


Thank you for the completely irrelevant comparison that has absolutely nothing to do with the incident being discussed.

It was a racing incident, end of. Anyone who has spent time watching track racing or racing themselves will have seen exactly the same move thousands of times.Crashes happen, get over it.

Part of your argument was that 'it made no difference to the medals'.
That's a non-argument. Penalties shouldn't be handed out on consequences, but on the action itself.

PS: I do watch a lot of track cycling, actually. I thought this incident deserved more than a warning.
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,156
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

Re: Re:

16 Aug 2016 10:34

Jagartrott wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:
King Boonen wrote:It was Cavendishs' fault but I don't think it was intentional and at the end of the day it made no difference to the medals.

That's a total non-argument.
Should I not be fined for driving 200 km/h through a village if I injured no-one?


Thank you for the completely irrelevant comparison that has absolutely nothing to do with the incident being discussed.

It was a racing incident, end of. Anyone who has spent time watching track racing or racing themselves will have seen exactly the same move thousands of times.Crashes happen, get over it.

Part of your argument was that 'it made no difference to the medals'.
That's a non-argument. Penalties shouldn't be handed out on consequences, but on the action itself.

PS: I do watch a lot of track cycling, actually. I thought this incident deserved more than a warning.


Actually no, my argument was that it wasn't intentional and was a racing incident, the second half of the sentence was just to say that it had no effect on the medals so in the end the it was irrelevant. As has been discussed in the other thread, causing a crash intentionally like that would be a massive risk on the riders part, taking out the 14th(?) placed rider in the race would be pointless when you're fighting for a medal and the neutralisation of the race hurt Cavendishs' chances.

I do too and I've seen exactly the same move in pretty much every single points race I can remember. I don't think it deserved more than a warning, that sets a dangerous precedent and would mean constant DQ's, including one for Viviani in the same race I think, because as you rightly point out:

penalties shouldn't be handed out on the consequences, but on the action itself.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,473
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

16 Aug 2016 13:56

I agree with most that a DQ would be too harsh. A warning seems about right, on current rules. Particularly given that I think Cueff didn't even get that (that should've been a DQ).

But I do think there should be some kind of penalty in between a warning and an outright DQ. Points docked and a monetary fine for stupid/irresponsible moves. Even though they would inevitably only come to play when there are consequences to said actions.
User avatar carton
Member
 
Posts: 1,331
Joined: 04 Aug 2014 15:25

Re: Re:

16 Aug 2016 16:48

Brullnux wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:
Brullnux wrote:Do you reckon Gaviria can appeal? I don't know the rules, so it's a genuine question

appeal for what?

The crash caused by Cavendish. He wasn't involved but I've seen it in other sports before, when the guy who missed out appeals.

Had it not been for the chaos created by Cavendish mowing down the Korean and Viviani, Gaviria would never have been allowed to break free and lap the others. It was his luck, actually
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,895
Joined: 17 Apr 2013 18:38
Location: Denmark

16 Aug 2016 19:35

Trott is incredibly dominant in this Omnium.

38 40 40 38 40.....
User avatar SlickMongoose
Member
 
Posts: 564
Joined: 17 Sep 2014 19:26

16 Aug 2016 20:45

Hats off to Amalie Diedriksen in that points race. Far and away the most entertaining and aggressive rider.
Andy262
Junior Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: 27 Sep 2014 18:11

16 Aug 2016 21:48

What's going on with the Keirin final right now? Did they start sprinting too early?
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re:

16 Aug 2016 21:49

Red Rick wrote:What's going on with the Keirin final right now? Did they start sprinting too early?


Yes, but the derny bike came off a little late... dunno what the ruling should be really.
User avatar SlickMongoose
Member
 
Posts: 564
Joined: 17 Sep 2014 19:26

16 Aug 2016 21:50

Think it's the right decision. It was neither or both as I saw it.
Andy262
Junior Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: 27 Sep 2014 18:11

16 Aug 2016 21:51

Well if the rules say you can't overtake the durney at all when it's still outside the cote d'azur or if thats only till a certain point.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

16 Aug 2016 21:52

Also did anyone else notice Awang starting ahead of the white line first time around?
User avatar PremierAndrew
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,525
Joined: 09 May 2014 18:47

16 Aug 2016 21:54

That's just ridiculous
User avatar PremierAndrew
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,525
Joined: 09 May 2014 18:47

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Back to top