Register

Olympic Track Cycling

From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Moderators: Susan Westemeyer, King Boonen

14 Aug 2016 15:04

I wonder what Wiggins is capable of in the individual pursuit?
Shame

14 Aug 2016 18:27

The omnium starts today. Should be fun with Gaviria, O'Shea, Kluge, Hansen, Viviani and Cav, and a few other guys too.
Brullnux
Veteran

14 Aug 2016 20:00

jmdirt

14 Aug 2016 20:14

How did Gaviria end up 5th? I thought that was the NZ guy, unless he lost a lap?
User avatar SlickMongoose

14 Aug 2016 20:19

Well we can see here who made their homework. Most of the peleton sprinted a lap too early and Gav was the only one to realize it, Cav followed as he saw Gaviria come through with speed.
User avatar Vroome.exe

Re:

14 Aug 2016 20:22

Vroome.exe wrote:Well we can see here who made their homework. Most of the peleton sprinted a lap too early and Gav was the only one to realize it, Cav followed as he saw Gaviria come through with speed.

Aha, thankyou.

14 Aug 2016 20:23

I could have sworn that whoever finished first of the bunch in the Scratch race (ahead of Cavendish) was in a dark skinsuit, whereas Gaviria's Colombian kit is nearly all white. How come they have Gaviria down as 5th?
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re:

14 Aug 2016 20:27

Armchair cyclist wrote:I could have sworn that whoever finished first of the bunch in the Scratch race (ahead of Cavendish) was in a dark skinsuit, whereas Gaviria's Colombian kit is nearly all white. How come they have Gaviria down as 5th?

Vroome.exe wrote:Well we can see here who made their homework. Most of the peleton sprinted a lap too early and Gav was the only one to realize it, Cav followed as he saw Gaviria come through with speed.

Re: Re:

14 Aug 2016 20:38

SlickMongoose wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:I could have sworn that whoever finished first of the bunch in the Scratch race (ahead of Cavendish) was in a dark skinsuit, whereas Gaviria's Colombian kit is nearly all white. How come they have Gaviria down as 5th?

So was Gaviria clear of the group? If so, I didn't spot him on camera at all. That would also mean that Cavendish got up to be first of the bunch, which isn't what I thought I saw either.

14 Aug 2016 20:47

Armchair cyclist wrote:
SlickMongoose wrote:

So was Gaviria clear of the group? If so, I didn't spot him on camera at all. That would also mean that Cavendish got up to be first of the bunch, which isn't what I thought I saw either.

No.... The sprint you saw was the penultimate lap for everyone except the four riders who lapped everyone. Even the cameras didn't realise so you didn't see the actual sprint. Only Gaviria was on the ball enough to keep riding (and Cav realised belatedly and got on his wheel).

If you can watch a replay look at the top of the track just after the sprint and you'll see Gaviria in the lead.

14 Aug 2016 20:57

SlickMongoose wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:
SlickMongoose wrote:

No.... The sprint you saw was the penultimate lap for everyone except the four riders who lapped everyone. Even the cameras didn't realise so you didn't see the actual sprint. Only Gaviria was on the ball enough to keep riding (and Cav realised belatedly and got on his wheel).

If you can watch a replay look at the top of the track just after the sprint and you'll see Gaviria in the lead.

Was the bell rung at the wrong time? as they had already gained the lap at that point.
Inquitus

14 Aug 2016 20:58

I have indeed just noticed Gaviria accelerating on everyone else's deceleration lap. I must admit, I thought that if breakaway riders caught the bunch, then the bunch rode one lap fewer, so that everyone had the same final lap. There was no bell ringing as everyone sprinted. But I am a very occasional watcher of track racing.

14 Aug 2016 21:08

I'm gonna guess that the Aussie guy hadn't caught the bunch yet, and the bell was for him...... Not sure though.

14 Aug 2016 21:18

I watched a replay, basically they **** up and rang the bell as the leader of the bunch crossed the line, when they should have rung it when the Aussie 1/4 a lap behind crossed the line, causing a mess to be frank.
Inquitus

Re:

14 Aug 2016 21:23

SlickMongoose wrote:I'm gonna guess that the Aussie guy hadn't caught the bunch yet, and the bell was for him...... Not sure though.

Yep you're right it was for him. Though they messed everything up with an early bell.
User avatar Vroome.exe

14 Aug 2016 21:47

Lol what. Gaviria used to smash Cav in the pursuit and now he was beaten by 10 seconds. Amazing ride by Cav and Gaviria probably not in great shape after all.
User avatar Vroome.exe

14 Aug 2016 21:49

Gaviria clearly went out too fast, was about 2 seconds up on Cav after a few laps. Still an amazing ride from Cav. All that work with the team pursuit squad over the last few weeks has paid off.

14 Aug 2016 21:54

Hansen breaks Wiggins' olympic 4k record, to win both opening events.

14 Aug 2016 22:02

Norman blasting it, whaddafuq!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

14 Aug 2016 22:07

Valv.Piti wrote:Norman blasting it, whaddafuq!

Elimination race wouldn't be one of his stronger events, it's looking quite good for Cav given his amazing performance in what was his weakest event at the worlds.
Inquitus

PreviousNext

Return to General