Register

Six Day Racing

From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Moderators: Susan Westemeyer, King Boonen

12 Oct 2011 07:08

durhamwasp wrote:In the process of booking up for the Rotterdam zesdaagse at the start of January, taking in the first 2 days of racing.
Anybody been? Atmosphere on youtube videos looks great! How much is a pint and a croquette?!

I will be there too, we should have a pint together, I'm sure beer and croquettes are cheap there, it's not really a trendy or chic thing, thankfully
long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

12 Oct 2011 18:52

CobbleStoner wrote:I will be there too, we should have a pint together, I'm sure beer and croquettes are cheap there, it's not really a trendy or chic thing, thankfully

Sounds good mate!

Many of you going? Theres 3 of us. Will let you know when its booked up.

What seating section would you recommend? Looking at the plan, the only blocks available are Ae, Af, Ag, Ah, Ai and Aj along one side, and then the corner sections of C blocks. Are the other tickets released later?
durhamwasp

28 Nov 2011 06:31

congrats to Kenny DeKetle and Robert Bartko in winning the Gent 6. another tough, fast 6 nights of racing that saw a couple of lead changes and non-stop attacking in the chases.
Zurich next!
long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

29 Nov 2011 20:22

Cant wait til 5 weeks time when im at the Rotterdam 6!
durhamwasp

04 Dec 2011 12:16

Keisse wins again in Zürich :)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

09 Jan 2012 08:42

thanks cyclingnews.com for the horrible coverage of the Rotterdam 6, and people wonder why 6-days are dying, come on cycling media...
anyways, going into the 5th night it is Jens Mouris / Franco Marvulli in the lead by 19 points over Shep/Stoetinga and Stam/Havic, Iljo and Niki are 1 lap down along with Dutch road champion Ligthart/Bartko. it is going to be a crazy, tough finale.

long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

10 Jan 2012 06:35

so Marvulli/Mouris are still ahead, but only 6 points in front of Schep/Stroetinga and Kiesse/Terpstra got the lap back last night so they are on the lead lap with not enough points to win so they will need to gain a lap tonight, probably looking for help from Ligthart/Bartko, should be a great end chase.

long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

10 Jan 2012 16:01

Iljo will take it ( I hope :p)
Life's too important to be taken seriously
Doping sucks

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.

hrotha wrote:You guys have an ancient barbarian mentality. Charge right in and be inevitably slaughtered by the superior foe, so that you can be buried with your sword and your silly notions of an "honorable fight".
and proud of it :D
User avatar Michielveedeebee

11 Jan 2012 10:06

what a finale!, Iljo and Niki tried hard, with the expected help of Bartko/Lirthart but it was a fast night. It came down to an attack by Marvulli/Mouris and Schep/Stroetinga knew who to mark and went with them, getting the lap back on Stam/Havik and then battling the final sprint for the win for Wim.
congrats Wim Stoetinga and Peter Schep (and valiant effort from Danny Stam in his last Rotterdam 6, we will miss you)

long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

12 Jan 2012 12:26

Was at the Rotterdam Six for nights 1 & 2, absolutely class stuff! I will definitely be attending another Six Day soon, hopefully the Gent version.

Enjoyed watching the ladies at the start and some of the mens stuff was class. Derny's are fantastic.

The amount of stuff to do in the courseways behind the seats was great, particularly the 1km timetrial, riding up the Muur on the Tacx bike and funny to watch the track stand competition! between 3 of us we picked up 27 free bottles!
durhamwasp

14 Jan 2012 21:21

Hey DURHAMWASP, is your name a reference to the hockey team?
I played for the Glasgow Dynamos (now defunct) for part of the
71/72 season and played in Durham once. You beat us 6-4 after
we had a 3-0 lead. That season Glasgow and Durham were both
in the bottom third of the Northern Ice Hockey League standings.
Old school hockey.:)
User avatar oldcrank

15 Jan 2012 16:00

oldcrank wrote:Hey DURHAMWASP, is your name a reference to the hockey team?
I played for the Glasgow Dynamos (now defunct) for part of the
71/72 season and played in Durham once. You beat us 6-4 after
we had a 3-0 lead. That season Glasgow and Durham were both
in the bottom third of the Northern Ice Hockey League standings.
Old school hockey.:)

It is indeed! I was a junior at Durham when the rink closed in 1996. Good to see Glasgow has a hockey team these days, i don't think we will ever see Durham with one again
durhamwasp

16 Jan 2012 04:01

durhamwasp wrote: i don't think we will ever see Durham with one again

That would make Icy Smith sad, I'm sure.
User avatar oldcrank

15 Feb 2012 10:06

FYI, a new book about Bobby Walthour and life n the motor-paced era: http://www.podiumcafe.com/2012/2/14/2797646/bobby-walthour-life-in-the-slipstream-andrew-homan

Does anyone know of an online resource that has US results from this era? Something similar to Cycling Archives or Memoire du Cyclisme?
User avatar fmk_RoI

15 Feb 2012 12:14

CobbleStoner wrote:so Marvulli/Mouris are still ahead, but only 6 points in front of Schep/Stroetinga and Kiesse/Terpstra got the lap back last night so they are on the lead lap with not enough points to win so they will need to gain a lap tonight, probably looking for help from Ligthart/Bartko, should be a great end chase.

It beats me why 6 Days are not more popular. The first bike race I ever saw was a night of a 6 day that my parents took me to in Germany. I loved bikes ever since. (Had it been a spring road race and I had to stand around in the cold for hours to see the riders many only once, I probably would not have been as impressed!) But the noise and the speed of the night riding was spectacular and to be a part of in the crowd was awesome for a youngster like myself. (I am not sure if they let anyone under 18s into the 6 Days anymore?)

I've just come back from a week in England (for the 50th Anniversary
Offtheback

11 Oct 2012 12:29

6-day season is finally here again, Amsterdam starts on Monday Oct 15. Iljo and Niki are teamed up again to defend the title, with some stiff comp from world champs Kenny DeKettle and Gys Hoeck (?spelling), and Wim Stoetinga just won the last Belgian semi classic on tues so he is in good form also. can't wait, got my tickets
long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

18 Oct 2012 08:09

Amsterdam Six: 3 days down, 3 to go. Morkov and Ligthart started strong, lead the first two nights, Stoetinga and Schep got the lap back they needed and with Stroetinga's sprint and Scheps experience, they have the lead now. Iljo and Nikki are slowly wearing everybody down and will attempt to get a few laps in the next 3 nights. the world champs are still in there, 1 lap down, but not looking strong enough for a win, maybe podium.

long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

21 Oct 2012 07:12

congrats to Morkov and Ligthart for winning the 2012 Zesdaagse van Amsterdam. they managed to stay with Iljo and Niki to get the extra lap and were ahead on points.
long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

22 Oct 2012 14:43

Tuesday was the first time I ever went to a sixday, and I really loved it. Been following more of track cycling since ive been to some days of the world and european championships in Apeldoorn last year, and cant believe I´ve missed the sixdays so far. Too bad I had to work all other night or I´d certainly had been some other nights as well. Great that Morkov and Ligthart won. Espescially Morkov really impressed me tuesday, recall a moment that he was attacking and refused the ´aflossing´, sorry cant think of the english term, and just kept going. Impressive stuff...[/I]
YoRUsh

02 Nov 2012 23:59

3 weeks today i'll be in Gent for the Sixes, still looks like the final line up hasnt been announced, when can we expect it - 1 week before?
durhamwasp

PreviousNext

Return to General