Register

Race Thread

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Eshnar

Re:

03 Jan 2019 00:01

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:The problem is he is the best at everything.
He has the best technical skills, which leads him to be able to create small gaps in corners, downhills or technical sections where others can't.
Then he has the best accelaration, which leads him to be able to gap the others at any given time.
Then he has the most power (though not that much more than Van Aert or Aerts, they are very close to him), which enables him to keep them at bay.

Even on a slightly worse day were Van Aert or Aerts might have more power, he can still beat them by gaining an advantage in acceleration and especially in the corners. So the time gained on non-technical parts is lost double on the technical parts.
So all in all it's really difficult to beat him for the others right now.

Only on a real hard course (Koppenberg, worlds last year), if he has a lesser day and can't make up for it on technical parts, he has a tendency to 'blow up' and then he not only loses but immediately loses minutes.

I don't know if he has more sustained power than WvA typically does, in fact I'd say 60-70% of the time, WvA is better there. But then again, we're talking TT power, which is not what cx is. I agree 100% on the technical and the accelerations, the both of which are natural for him but have simply been enhanced by a summer of WC MTB. I've always thought taking summer MTB seriously, if your body can handle it, makes you all the better of a cx racer.

Let's put it this way. MvdP takes 30-90 seconds per race on WvA on the technical aspects alone!

Now, all this aside, if he keeps this up any longer, it'll become clinic material. This level of dominance is just silly :lol:
User avatar Ripper

03 Jan 2019 12:44

I do wonder if more of his rivals should follow his example, and take up MTB XC. During one of the recent races, co commentator Simon Burney was asked about the technical aspects CX v XC. His answer was XC riders are on another level compared to most CX riders.
Mathieu was already pretty good, but his technical side has improved since his move to XC.
Axel Hangleck

03 Jan 2019 15:39

Jolanda with another win - UCI C1 in Meilen (SUI).
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Re:

05 Jan 2019 03:36

glassmoon wrote:Jolanda with another win - UCI C1 in Meilen (SUI).

Jolanda is simply awesome! Love watching her race.
User avatar Ripper

06 Jan 2019 00:46

100 wins is amazing for a 35 year old, but at 23?!

"Van der Poel does not count two victories from Masters Cyclocross races in Waregem in 2015 and 2018 but the Belgian media were quick to highlight the Dutch riders success at the age of just 23.

Van der Poel won his first professional cyclo-cross race at just 19 and has since won one world title, four Dutch national titles, two European Championships, 20 World Cup races, 25 Superprestige races, 16 DVV trophy races and 29 other races." --CyclingNews
jmdirt

06 Jan 2019 14:18

currently shredding it in Belgium (DVV):
http://cyclingentertainment.stream/een-hd/
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

06 Jan 2019 22:00

How is this less boring than road racing for MVDP?

He's just that much better than everyone else. Nobody ever comes close.
Breh

Re:

07 Jan 2019 00:58

Breh wrote:How is this less boring than road racing for MVDP?

Well, he's no where as close to dominating in road racing as cx. It's not boring when it's just you against the course. ;)
User avatar Ripper

Re:

07 Jan 2019 11:40

Breh wrote:How is this less boring than road racing for MVDP?

I guess it comes down to the RIDE itself. In CX/XO one can have nice course with jumps, mud, sharp corners, technical sections or even trails so it's fun to ride. On the RR you just sit in the the pack for 5 hrs and you can't really have any fun doing it ;)
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Re: Race Thread

07 Jan 2019 22:23

Please forgive me if this a dumb question and or observation, but in the races I have seen, Wout van Aert tends to come from the back to win. Obviously coming from the back is a relative statement; guy tends to hang in with front runners before putting everyone else in the hurt box.
This is probably not related to the above statement, but correct if Im wrong when saying the amount of laps in a race are determined by the first guy who crosses the line on the first lap.
If that s the case, is it possible that sometimes guys take it a bit easy after establishing their place in the pecking order to reduce the amount of laps (qm)

I know this probably sounds dumb, but Im trying to learn more about this sport. I find it interesting on a lot of levels.
User avatar the delgados

08 Jan 2019 13:56

the delgados wrote:Please forgive me if this a dumb question and or observation, but in the races I have seen, Wout van Aert tends to come from the back to win. Obviously coming from the back is a relative statement; guy tends to hang in with front runners before putting everyone else in the hurt box.
This is probably not related to the above statement, but correct if Im wrong when saying the amount of laps in a race are determined by the first guy who crosses the line on the first lap.
If that s the case, is it possible that sometimes guys take it a bit easy after establishing their place in the pecking order to reduce the amount of laps (qm)

I know this probably sounds dumb, but Im trying to learn more about this sport. I find it interesting on a lot of levels.

The amount of laps is decided after the 2nd lap. They'll try to make sure the race is about 60minutes for regular CX races and about 70minutes for WC races. So it does indeed depend on how fast they race the first two laps.
MVDP doesn't really take it easy so the rest of the bunch is usually screwed.
Breh

13 Jan 2019 13:41

I don't know about anyone else, but I cannot decide whether or not I like the sport.
I am currently watching the U23 Belgian national championship race, and part of me feels embarrassed to watch super fit athletes slip around and crash in a mud-pile while carrying their bikes. The spectacle seems silly, and I kinda feel bad for the eventual winner, who will be crowned best guy to ride and walk your bike through a pit of mud.
There is also the sheer determination part of this spectacle that is kind of compelling. I mean, it takes a lot of strength and willpower to fall face first in a pile of mud and get back up and act as if nothing happened.
Im starting to think the sport kinda sucks.
Who would think it s a good idea to ride your bike on a beach (qm)
User avatar the delgados

13 Jan 2019 16:03

What a race in Kruibeke for the men elite title!

Toon Aerts totally crushed Van Aert in the last two laps, both physically and mentally, with his recovery and almost straight attack.

Totally deserved jersey for him after a year with two World Cups, the Koppenberg and the Druivencross.
User avatar Ricco'

13 Jan 2019 17:34

British Elite 1-2-3
Pidcock
Turner
Mein

All U-23 riders
postmanhat

13 Jan 2019 19:14

Looks from the pictures I'm seeing that Denmark isn't the only European country today with... interesting weather for a cross race.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

13 Jan 2019 19:44

Austria Elite Men
Raggl
Ritzinger
Hofer

Austria Elite Women
Heigl
Pasteiner
Holland (junior)
User avatar rote_laterne

14 Jan 2019 00:56

the delgados wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I cannot decide whether or not I like the sport.
I am currently watching the U23 Belgian national championship race, and part of me feels embarrassed to watch super fit athletes slip around and crash in a mud-pile while carrying their bikes. The spectacle seems silly, and I kinda feel bad for the eventual winner, who will be crowned best guy to ride and walk your bike through a pit of mud.
There is also the sheer determination part of this spectacle that is kind of compelling. I mean, it takes a lot of strength and willpower to fall face first in a pile of mud and get back up and act as if nothing happened.

You could argue that riding your bike on a flat surface is just way too easy and not very challenging at all.

The parcours for the Belgian national championship was abit silly tho.
Breh

14 Jan 2019 13:37

Breh wrote:
the delgados wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I cannot decide whether or not I like the sport.

The parcours for the Belgian national championship was abit silly tho.

The parcours was fine. Only the condition made it somewhat silly. It was about the same at Namur. But this is what cyclo cross is all about: they ride with the weather they are given. Cold, snowy and sunny races are wonderful to watch, but then you could say: who would think it is a good idea to ride your bike on ice? Anyway, I love the sport. But then again, I'm a Belgian.
jflemaire

Re:

14 Jan 2019 18:11

Ricco' wrote:What a race in Kruibeke for the men elite title!

Toon Aerts totally crushed Van Aert in the last two laps, both physically and mentally, with his recovery and almost straight attack.

Totally deserved jersey for him after a year with two World Cups, the Koppenberg and the Druivencross.

One time it looked as if WvA would run away with it, but a couple of mistakes and a superb comeback by Aerts. MVdP looks favorite for the worlds
IndianCyclist

20 Jan 2019 15:09

That was a race! Just imagine how this sport would be with no van der Poel.
User avatar tobydawq

PreviousNext

Return to General