Log in:  

Register

Nys/Pauwels Sprint...

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Eshnar

Nys/Pauwels Sprint...

27 Nov 2011 19:35

seems to me he made a rookie mistake and fell into the trap. lick your wounds and learn from your poor tactics
User avatar nicholaaaas
Junior Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 14 Mar 2009 00:51
Location: Baltimore, MD

28 Nov 2011 15:53

Yep have to agree schoolboy error. He was coming from behind and he had all the road and chose the barrier side. Pauwels is a bad losers especially against Nys, last year at Oostamalle was another fine example of his hand waving skills!
Nys was a popular winner we were stood on the dunes at the back of the course and when the Pauwels took the lead towards the finish the crowd went silent, but as soon as the commentator started 'here comes Nys' the crowd went berserk. As for Mario de Clerq stating the crowd judging the result by the podium applause age must be getting the better of hearing.

I think Pauwels form is starting to lose its edge, he did plenty of wheel sucking at Gieten the day after and still had to admit Nys was stronger in the sprint.

Still all good stuff for the crowds...
Jacques Tati
Junior Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 24 Apr 2009 16:52

28 Nov 2011 16:26

Lol at Oostmalle he punctured and accepted his loss. Bad loser? :D

In Asper-Gavere 2010, some argued the sprint was unfair. He not. Bad loser?

In Hamme-Zogge 2011, Mr Nys argued that Pauwels had to chase Stybar because his manager organized the race and the Pauwels simply said "That's a pity". Bad loser?

He was not coming from behind. He was already on the barrier side.


In cyclocross you can hardly gain anything from wheelsucking. If you're good you're in front, if not you're behind. He was behind. Yeah he was not in form.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,021
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

29 Nov 2011 08:11

I've seen the sprint again and I definitely claim that Pauwels was at the level of his back wheel from the very start of it. His claim is legit.

I fail to see why KP should deserve so much disrespect. I think he really behaved with dignity. Waving in the heat of the moment but at the interview he gave his opinion with as much calm as usual for him. The likes of Nys or Albert would've wept.

A wheelsucker? Sure, the French see him that way. I've seen all his televised wins since Overijse (but Kop'berg). He's not more of a wheelsucker than an attacker. Winning a cross through drafting and taking advantage of someone else's job? I've never seen that actually. This is not road racing.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,021
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

29 Nov 2011 10:58

Echoes wrote:I've seen the sprint again and I definitely claim that Pauwels was at the level of his back wheel from the very start of it. His claim is legit.

I fail to see why KP should deserve so much disrespect. I think he really behaved with dignity. Waving in the heat of the moment but at the interview he gave his opinion with as much calm as usual for him. The likes of Nys or Albert would've wept.

A wheelsucker? Sure, the French see him that way. I've seen all his televised wins since Overijse (but Kop'berg). He's not more of a wheelsucker than an attacker. Winning a cross through drafting and taking advantage of someone else's job? I've never seen that actually. This is not road racing.


Yeah, Albert would weep because he lost a sprint :rolleyes:
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,255
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

29 Nov 2011 14:39

Echoes wrote:He was not coming from behind. He was already on the barrier side.


Pauwels doesn't get to choose the line if he's not in front. Want to choose it? Be in front. Nys chose that line every lap pretty much. Pauwels knew where Nys was going and was whining because he didn't get to have it and be sheltered from the wind. Nys never looked back. He chose his line and went for it. Pauwels had the whole other side.

Pauwels is a great crosser, but he sucked a lot of wheels this past weekend. Nys was the deserved winner both days.
User avatar Moose McKnuckles
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,874
Joined: 07 Nov 2009 05:48

30 Nov 2011 12:29

You're inventing your own rule. You can't choose a line if your opponent is at your side. Pauwels was at his side.

KP did not suck wheels. In Koksijde, he attacked or chased. In Gieten he missed his start (bad form) and chased on his own. He was not on top and admitted it. Yeah he did not deserve to win that one because he wasn't at his best.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,021
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

30 Nov 2011 15:09

Echoes wrote:You're inventing your own rule. You can't choose a line if your opponent is at your side. Pauwels was at his side.

KP did not suck wheels. In Koksijde, he attacked or chased. In Gieten he missed his start (bad form) and chased on his own. He was not on top and admitted it. Yeah he did not deserve to win that one because he wasn't at his best.


Dude I watched both races twice. I'm not sure what you were watching, but if Nys and Stybar were riding Zipps, Pauwels would have sucked the dimples off their rims.

Pauwels wanted to be protected from the crosswind. Nys said no. Nys would have placed himself at a disadvantage by letting Pauwels in on the right.
User avatar Moose McKnuckles
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,874
Joined: 07 Nov 2009 05:48

01 Dec 2011 08:23

Inventing your own rules + rewriting the facts.

Pauwels wanted to outsprint him, hence was on his side. He couldn't go above and on the other side were the barriers. He was faster than Nys, hence Nys said no. It's easy to win sprints that way.


And yeah, KP missed his start in Gieten and had to chase alone + took the lead for quite a while. There ain't no crosser that I can call wheelsucker. It belongs to road racing.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,021
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

01 Dec 2011 19:43

Echoes wrote:Inventing your own rules + rewriting the facts.

Pauwels wanted to outsprint him, hence was on his side. He couldn't go above and on the other side were the barriers. He was faster than Nys, hence Nys said no. It's easy to win sprints that way.


And yeah, KP missed his start in Gieten and had to chase alone + took the lead for quite a while. There ain't no crosser that I can call wheelsucker. It belongs to road racing.


Kevin almost never took initiative before this season.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,255
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

02 Dec 2011 14:13

......
...:d :D
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,021
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Back to top