Register

Race Thread

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Valv.Piti

Re:

16 Oct 2016 15:58

Ricco' wrote:What a race in Zonhoven. Van der Poel won in the sprint after a tough battle between him and Van Aert.

Phenomenal battle today, great to see no mechanical problems for the front two. This season is going to be fun if both can stay healthy!
User avatar StephenC2020

Re: Re:

16 Oct 2016 20:27

StephenC2020 wrote:
Ricco' wrote:What a race in Zonhoven. Van der Poel won in the sprint after a tough battle between him and Van Aert.

Phenomenal battle today, great to see no mechanical problems for the front two. This season is going to be fun if both can stay healthy!

If Sweeck can improve that tiny bit, both him and Vanthourenhout be more consistant and van der Haar get fully fit after his injry, then the rest of this season will be really exciting. Of course therehas not been a race with full mud conditions (Iowa doesn't count as they widened the course, and van der Poel wasn't there), then that might add a completely different aspect into the racing. Someone like Vantournout, Pawels, Adams or van Kessel might be racing for the podium positions aswell.
User avatar lemon cheese cake

30 Oct 2016 13:05

The Men Elite race of the European Cyclo-Cross Championships in Pont-Château will be live on Eurosport 2 at 14h00 GMT.
User avatar Ricco'

Re: Race Thread

01 Nov 2016 10:01

Toon Aerts (Bel) took victory in the Euro Champs on sunday. A surprise victory, but the peloton (it was more like a crit on grass than a cross race) showed no reaction when he attacked. Twan van der Brand just set a steady tempo on the front, rather than chasing him down immediately. Lars van der Haar was up there at the front for some of the race, but could only manage 7th

Thalita de Jong (Ned) won the Elite Womens race. There was a crash at the start involving brits Wyman and Brammeier. Wyman has a broken collarbone, with Brammeier just a bruised face and several stitches. No title defence for Sanne Cant.

Quiten Hermans (Bel) took a bunch sprint in the U23 men, meaning he successfully defended his title.

Chiara Teocchi (Ita) won alone by 11 seconds in the U23 women. No title defence from anyone in this category as in was won by Van Driessche last year.

Tom Pidcock (Gbr) also won alone in the Junior men after winning in Zonhoven two weeks ago. He came 8th last year. Jens Dekker has moved up to U23 so couldnt defend his title.

Today is Koppenbergcross day. Shame its a week day as it is a brilliant race. This time it is on a new course, and finishes at the top of the Koppenberg.

05 Nov 2016 02:54

It's always kinda strange to me when there's a course where no one ever gets off the bike. MVDP just had an off day, I guess. It was weird to see him just going backwards through the ranks like that.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

15 Nov 2016 00:21

Van der Poel won the 4th race of the Superprestige in a dominant fashion. He attacked on the 2nd lap, opened up a gap of 9 seconds to Van Aert and then the World Champion had his usual mechanical problem which made him lose many more seconds. After this MVP was on control and won a handful of seconds in each lap to finish with an advantage of more than 1 minute.
User avatar Ricco'

20 Nov 2016 09:28

OFFICIAL: All races Worldcup Cyclocross Koksijde cancelled due to heavy wind. Everything is cancelled.(twitter organisation)
User avatar MagnusMagnussen

18 Dec 2016 15:10

Damn, what a race in Namur! Best race of the season and best weekend too, since yesterday's Scheldecross was great too!

If somebody wants to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pW7HVT7EtI
User avatar Ricco'

Re:

18 Dec 2016 15:29

Ricco' wrote:Damn, what a race in Namur! Best race of the season and best weekend too, since yesterday's Scheldecross was great too!

If somebody wants to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pW7HVT7EtI

Probably the best weekend of racing this season so far. I can't think of any others that equal this one this year, however, Namur, Scheldecross and Zonhoven have to the top three before the Kurstperiode starts.

18 Dec 2016 20:33

I was there. It really was amazing. What a talent is Mathieu Van der Poel but what a fighting spirit has Wout Van Aert and even Kevin Pauwels fought till the end. But this shoulder to shoulder between Mathieu & Wout. Well in Mathieu's family, we know shoulder to shoulder is, of course. :p

I'm really proud to have seen it live, something to remember when I'm old. So fond of this duo and this rivalry. Who wishes to see them switch to the road after that? Just get interested in cyclocross and enjoy.
Echoes

19 Dec 2016 12:08

Echoes wrote:I was there. It really was amazing. What a talent is Mathieu Van der Poel but what a fighting spirit has Wout Van Aert and even Kevin Pauwels fought till the end. But this shoulder to shoulder between Mathieu & Wout. Well in Mathieu's family, we know shoulder to shoulder is, of course. :p

I'm really proud to have seen it live, something to remember when I'm old. So fond of this duo and this rivalry. Who wishes to see them switch to the road after that? Just get interested in cyclocross and enjoy.

Seeing Kevin Pauwels up there is really good to see. It's a shame he can't be up there fighting with MVDP and WVA. The same with Tom Meeusen could be at the front 100% of the time. He seems to be able to have bursts that can get him up to the front after Van Aert and Van der Poel have gone clear but is not able to go with them in the first place. One can see this effort is one of the metaphorical matches he has, which means he doesn't have it when the duo attack each other again as it is already burnt. (I remember when Meeusen was heralded as the successor to Sven Nys or Niels Albert.)

I wish the other young riders like Micheal Vanthourenhout and Laurens Sweeck could be more consistant to create a really good battle. Possibly if Vanthourenhout was more consistent and Van der Poel didn't exist, then we could see battles like we had in the Brico cross races at Geraardsbergen and Kruibeke. His problem is he can't last the whole hour when racing both Van Aert and Van der Poel.

28 Dec 2016 16:56

I have been watching Cross for last 2 years and it is pretty exciting compared to road. The rivalry between Mathieu and Wout is really good for the sport. Even the best make mistakes, have bad luck and from the start till the end of the race ~1 hr something or the other happens. Not much drafting also helps to ensure that people can attack and keep the pressure high if they have the legs.
IndianCyclist

28 Dec 2016 20:20

With a few exceptions, I've found the racing to be slightly less entertaining this year with MVP and Wout being so dominant. You never really get the impression that anyone else has a chance. A lot of it has to do with their racing style. They start so fast that often they already have a gap after one or two laps and they rarely let up and let anyone else back in the race.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

29 Dec 2016 15:08

Great race today in Loenhout. Van Aert won but unfortunately Van der Poel was taken off on a stretcher with a neck brace. Hope he is ok and recovers quickly.

Re:

29 Dec 2016 16:29

jaylew wrote:With a few exceptions, I've found the racing to be slightly less entertaining this year with MVP and Wout being so dominant. You never really get the impression that anyone else has a chance. A lot of it has to do with their racing style. They start so fast that often they already have a gap after one or two laps and they rarely let up and let anyone else back in the race.

It's true that it's almost only been about them, but their rivalry has been pretty entertaining. Its been fun to watch. IMO it makes up for the lack of other strong competitors.

I really hope MVP is okay....of course because it's not nice to see someone hurt. He also needs to be there to challenge Wout.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

30 Dec 2016 00:48

Mathieu - Speedy recovery
IndianCyclist

30 Dec 2016 02:15

https://twitter.com/chregirocha/status/813683359260037120
Shows why Women cross is more exciting
IndianCyclist

01 Jan 2017 22:53

First day of the new year and new team for Wout van Aert. He changed from Colnago to Felt bikes and worst of all, from Lazer to Suomy helmets. I feel sorry for the guy, no one deserves to wear those helmets.

In Baal, Toon Aerts surprised Wout and won is second race of the year. After his crash (without fractures), Van der Poel hopes to come back next weekend at the National Championships.
User avatar Ricco'

02 Jan 2017 06:17

Baal. Weird. Almost is if Wout was sleeping for 45min. Didn't drop Bosmans until 3 laps to go. Strange day.

MVDP, get back on that horse and teach these fools how to race!
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico

Re:

02 Jan 2017 18:54

MWC wrote:Baal. Weird. Almost is if Wout was sleeping for 45min. Didn't drop Bosmans until 3 laps to go. Strange day.

MVDP, get back on that horse and teach these fools how to race!

WVA crashed into a wooden fence. Said he was in some pain.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General