Register

Race Thread

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Valv.Piti

15 Oct 2017 20:24

It's great indeed, but courses with sand need battles like this:

https://youtu.be/2ulhSSbdZGM

That VdP move at 1 minute is my favourite cyclocross moment since I started watching.
Der Effe

Re: Race Thread

16 Oct 2017 12:01

David is not a mug, really. A bit inconsistent, though. I remember he had a very good month of December during the 2014/15 season, his first one as an elite rider. I saw him in Namur back then. Mathieu raced the U23 race with Wout that day and Wout won but then was Mathieu elite World Champion. David was 12th in Namur (Kevin won the elite race) but he did perform very well in a few other crosses that month. Also he's a Junior World Cup winner at a time Mathieu was already performing in the novice category. Insiders already knew that the little one had bigger talent but David certainly was already a decent prospect. :)
Echoes

22 Oct 2017 11:59

So the Koksijde WC races - and Live only on Eurosport player, and no commentary. Marvellous. Who thought signing with Eurosport was a good idea?
There was nothing wrong with the YouTube coverage.....

How to grow a sport - NOT!!
Axel Hangleck

Re:

22 Oct 2017 17:32

Der Effe wrote:It's great indeed, but courses with sand need battles like this:

That VdP move at 1 minute is my favourite cyclocross moment since I started watching.

Have you seen this gem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_T467HuNfg
User avatar Gung Ho Gun

Re: Re:

22 Oct 2017 18:32

Gung Ho Gun wrote:
Der Effe wrote:It's great indeed, but courses with sand need battles like this:

Have you seen this gem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_T467HuNfg

Love it!
Winnen

01 Nov 2017 15:19

Epic cross at the Koppenberg! Van der Poel won, crushing Aerts and Van der Haar on the last lap (Van Aert cracked with 3 laps to go). He himself was completely knackered once he finished, couldn't go one metre further!
User avatar Ricco'

Re:

01 Nov 2017 21:21

Ricco' wrote:Epic cross at the Koppenberg! Van der Poel won, crushing Aerts and Van der Haar on the last lap (Van Aert cracked with 3 laps to go). He himself was completely knackered once he finished, couldn't go one metre further!

Yes, this was the first race this season that kept my interest till the end. The riders crumbling just after the finish line was something to behold :surprised:

Also, this is MvdP's first Koppenberg win. He sure didn't get this one easily.
jflemaire

05 Nov 2017 12:46

Bit of a stupid question; is the finish line always on asphalt?

And I thought it was a set amount of laps, taking however long it would... not a set amount of time, using however many laps it takes... (if that made sense.)
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

05 Nov 2017 14:42

Vanthourenhout not happy to be pipped for 3rd place
- bike throw strop
after a pat on the back from Aerts.
:redface:
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re:

05 Nov 2017 16:01

RedheadDane wrote:Bit of a stupid question; is the finish line always on asphalt?

And I thought it was a set amount of laps, taking however long it would... not a set amount of time, using however many laps it takes... (if that made sense.)

I think that there is a rule about the start finish being 'straight and packed' or something like that (asphalt is really packed). I'm pretty sure that the set time for UCI elite men is 60 minutes. At the Euro champs today MvdP finished in 57:35 so I'm assuming that they calculated approximately how many laps the elites could do in 60 minutes, and then set the number of laps.

MvdP is a machine!
jmdirt

Re: Race Thread

05 Nov 2017 17:53

Not so long ago, you still had finish on grass like in the first three years of Zonhoven: 2008 (1'10") on a different place than today's finish or here, 2010 (at about 1'00" David Van der Poel winning the junior event on the same finish as today's which in the meantime has been artificially asphalted). I remember finishes at Erpe-Mere in the noughties which were on grass or at Fiuggi when Niels Albert won in 2015.

The one-hour rule can in the late eighties or early nineties, TV demands, I guess. Up until that point, cyclocrosses could easily exceed one hour of racing (for the winner, mind you). Sometimes, they can miscalculate it though. Happened last Wednesday, on the Koppenberg. They entered the final lap while having already raced for an hour. That has to do with the hardness of the new Koppenberg route with the finish on top of the famous climb. "An attack against the bodies" said most of the written press, last year (I think that is what Van Aert himself said). That's why you had the three main contenders out of breath at the end, lying down on the ground, especially Mathieu.
Echoes

07 Nov 2017 22:10

Hm, last 2 seasons Vd Poel had an injury stricken start to the season, causing Van Aert to massively win everything and Vd Poel being good at the end. Now it seems it's the other way around. Van Aert seems completely off. He should not lose to Aerts and Vd haar for instance.

However I wonder if we will see a good 2nd half, considering he's also switching to road prep pretty soon
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

21 Nov 2017 21:20

Has the interest in the season really dropped off? There is no other decent cycling taking place apart from 'Cross, so it's disappointing the lack of interest.
Axel Hangleck

Re:

23 Nov 2017 06:33

Axel Hangleck wrote:Has the interest in the season really dropped off? There is no other decent cycling taking place apart from 'Cross, so it's disappointing the lack of interest.

well... it kinda has imho. MVP dominating the field the way he is... I'm pretty confident to say it's settled already :D
watched last WC (in Denmark?) and as soon as MVP got 10m gap I knew it's over (unless mechanical or really bad mistake)
glassmoon

25 Nov 2017 15:34

Wout van Aert wins in Zeven, ahead of Mathieu Van der Poel and Toon Aerts. I only caught the last two laps, did MVDP crash/have a mechanical again or was WVA just stronger today?
davebqvst

25 Nov 2017 15:39

KFnC on box the box today!
Wout grabs one from MVDP!

Axel, my interest is solid, but I don't have any coverage other than what I read on the www so I can't discuss much without seeing how the race played out. I need to look around YouTube for some video. Plus, my (time) priorities this time of year are: work, life, riding, NFL...not much more time in a day.
jmdirt

Re:

25 Nov 2017 23:02

davebqvst wrote:Wout van Aert wins in Zeven, ahead of Mathieu Van der Poel and Toon Aerts. I only caught the last two laps, did MVDP crash/have a mechanical again or was WVA just stronger today?

He had a mechanical (chain stuck) in the first or second lap and lost about 40 seconds. He was about 15 places down after that but quickly got back to second. Maybe a bit too quickly since he seemed to be unable to gain any more time -- though he may have decided to leave this one to Wout and concentrate on the next day.
jflemaire

26 Nov 2017 15:41

Noble and KFnC on the box today!
MVDP!
jmdirt

28 Nov 2017 12:04

every race where vd poel was absent or had bad luck, Van Aert won.

Van Aert has by the way complained about the bikes (Felt) and he's not the only one. The road riders of that team (verandas) also already complained during the year about the slow Felt bikes.
Nuyens (team manager) wasn't happy with the critics. So Nuyens/Van Aert have a small clash now..
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

29 Nov 2017 13:52

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:every race where vd poel was absent or had bad luck, Van Aert won.

Van Aert has by the way complained about the bikes (Felt) and he's not the only one. The road riders of that team (verandas) also already complained during the year about the slow Felt bikes.
Nuyens (team manager) wasn't happy with the critics. So Nuyens/Van Aert have a small clash now..

"small" I've been told by somebody close to the team that Nuyens and Van Aert were ready to throw some punches. WvA apparently didn't like Nuyens complaining about the results when the entire team had been complaining about the bikes since day 1 and apparently the team also bought second hand 2013 Felt bikes to race on, as the riders felt better on those.
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

PreviousNext

Return to General