Register

Race Thread

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Valv.Piti

Re: Race Thread

08 Feb 2016 18:06

Echoes wrote:Cyclocross is not always that muddy to be honest. Most races are raced on dry conditions (which is already very pleasant in itself) and sometimes in summer conditions (like the 2010 edition of Namur, where I was, it was damn hot). Sometimes it's raced on ice or in the snow (that's really beautiful, I visited the snowy 2010 Diegem cross, lovely).

But I'd say the most impressive muddy cross I've seen was Asper Gavere 2005. Though I haven't seen it live (wasn't interested in it, then) but a few years after. Unfortunately it's not on YT but Asper Gavere is always the most impressive course, in my opinion. It's my favourite.

Yes, it's really spectator-friendly. I mean you can see riders passing every 10 seconds while on the road, you need to wait 1 hour with the caravan throwing craps and then the peloton passes for 8 seconds and it's all over.

Besides, the few times I went to Overijse, I was in a position where there was action 360° around me. Just great fun. Of course I was really cold but I didn't mind. I remember standing next to a kid (about 8 year old or so) who was really enthusiastic: "Komaan Sven, Komaan Niels" etc and even to the most obscure riders he would cheer "Komaan Mariusz Gil. Komaan Duval. Komaan Jan Denuwelaere". It must have been a great day for him. :)

And then it will only take you three times that long to get to the other side of the course, as most cyclocross locations are very compact. The only time it will take longer to get anywhere, is when it's three foot of mud to wade through like at BK Erpe-Mere last year or Bpost Essen a couple of years ago when Denuwelaere got knocked off by Stybar.

Good race by Sweeck at the Bpost Trofee on Sunday. Shame VdP crashed and hurt his back placing himself outside the top twenty. It's also a shame that this won't get a field as good as this next season as it's supposed to be a Soudal Classic next year, because the course looked alot tougher than the Lille circuit. It was only filling the gap that Lille would normally take up as it had the national champs there.

Mathieu's back pain subsided for sunday's 'Strawberries Cross' (Aardbeiencross) at Hoogstraten for the Superprestige, as to took a solo victory with one lap to go. He stumbled with the bike on the hurdles at one point, however kept it upright to win from Wout van Aert as he got his second second of the weekend.
User avatar lemon cheese cake

14 Feb 2016 14:50

Congrats on a great career Mr. Nys! Enjoy some relaxation!
jmdirt

22 Mar 2016 13:31

Julien Taramarcaz gets a new contract with Belgian team : ERA-Murprotec. More importantly, the Swiss landed in Zaventem this morning to sign the contract and survived the attack. &#128528

http://www.20min.ch/ro/sports/cyclisme/story/12731688
Echoes

10 Sep 2016 17:09

First race of the season tomorrow at the Brico Cross in Geraardsbergen.

Van Aert, Meeusen, Pauwels, Iserbyt and Sweeck in the startlist.

Mathieu Van der Poel only starts racing in Gieten, is recovering from a knee surgery. So he misses the first two rounds of the World Cup too.
User avatar Ricco'

Re:

10 Sep 2016 17:55

Ricco' wrote:First race of the season tomorrow at the Brico Cross in Geraardsbergen.

Van Aert, Meeusen, Pauwels, Iserbyt and Sweeck in the startlist.

Mathieu Van der Poel only starts racing in Gieten, is recovering from a knee surgery. So he misses the first two rounds of the World Cup too.

Can't wait!

It's shame Van der Poel is out. Will make it difficult for him to compete in the world cup and other race series.
Van Aert has been looking good on the road recently too, it'll be nice to see some cross action again
User avatar StephenC2020

23 Sep 2016 00:30

World Cup started with a victory from Wout van Aert. After a fall on a set of starts in the first half of the race, van Aert managed to pull back a disadvantage of 30 seconds to the front group where Michael Vanthourenhout went solo shortly after and when the regroup was done, van Aert soloed to victory taking advantage of an error of Vanthourenhout on the sand pit, which prevented him from following the World Champion wheel.

In the ladies, Sophie de Boer won a three riders sprint with Katerina Nash and Katie Compton, a very entertaining race where de Boer was nearly off the contention for victory on the last lap and a half with the efforts of Nash and Compton.
User avatar Ricco'

25 Sep 2016 11:39

Wasn't able to watch the US crosses, but it looks like Van Aert is off with a dominant start of the season again. Hopefully Van Der Poel can make things a bit more exciting when he arrives on the scene.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

Re:

25 Sep 2016 12:49

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Wasn't able to watch the US crosses, but it looks like Van Aert is off with a dominant start of the season again. Hopefully Van Der Poel can make things a bit more exciting when he arrives on the scene.

On hilly route like the Kapelmuur, Michael Vanthourenhout can push Wout to his limits though. He was really close. ;) He claims he can already beat Wout on such routes but on flatter ones, Wout with his stronger body, would always have the edge, this season however.

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/724226MICHAELVANTHOURENHOUTnieuwsblad20160921.png (Nieuwsblad article)
Echoes

02 Oct 2016 14:11

Great race in Gieten! The first battle between Van der Poel and Van Aert goes to the dutchman!
User avatar Ricco'

02 Oct 2016 14:20

Good to see that Mathieu is in a good shape again, but it's a shame Van Aert got that mechanical in the end.

02 Oct 2016 14:59

How could you guys see it? I've been struggling to find a stream but the only one that worked had a big pop up right in the middle of it dealing with cookies. :mad:

Anyway Mathieu was as usual much too careful when he talked about his come back. He was supposed to be in top shape in mid-October. :p

I also think that the Belgian press should stop hyping Van Aert. He deserves recognition but since his win at the Schaal Sels (and all summer long after his excellent performances on the road) it was all about whether Van Aert would be unbeatable or not while they all easily should have guessed that Mathieu could handle him, unless he didn't recover from his knee injuries, but those were quickly considered benign. Actually, wondering whether Mathieu is unstoppable or not is a more adapted question but I still see Wout winning some races from Mathieu too on the odd occasion, why not Michael Vanthourenhout beating the two on a hilly route. :)
Echoes

02 Oct 2016 15:10

Echoes wrote:How could you guys see it? I've been struggling to find a stream but the only one that worked had a big pop up right in the middle of it dealing with cookies. :mad:

The ones from procyclinglive.com were good. The direct link from RTVDRENTHE was stopping a bit so I changed to the SEBN one. The image quality was poorer but was fluid and in full screen there were no pop-ups.
User avatar Ricco'

02 Oct 2016 19:13

Wish I was able to watch this, as by the sounds of the Cyclingnews race report, and video highlights on social media it was a great race.

03 Oct 2016 06:16

Ricco' wrote:The ones from procyclinglive.com were good. The direct link from RTVDRENTHE was stopping a bit so I changed to the SEBN one. The image quality was poorer but was fluid and in full screen there were no pop-ups.

Thanks. I also tried the one on SEBN but didn't managed to make it full screen as hard as I tried. Good that it worked for you. :)
Echoes

08 Oct 2016 14:21

Another win for Mathieu Van der Poel on the Berencross in Meulebeke. Van Aert was in an offday and couldn't be a contender from the start. Van der Poel went early on the attack and formed a group with Vanthourenhout, Bosmans and Iserbyt. Vanthourenhout had mechanical problems and Van der Poel and Bosmans went alone and the former world champion left behind his team mate on the last lap, winning with a small advantage. Iserbyt rounded up the podium. Van Aert finished in 9th place.
User avatar Ricco'

08 Oct 2016 21:32

I think Van Aert was sick all week. I guess he will want to limit his time loss tomorrow
User avatar StephenC2020

09 Oct 2016 14:21

Good win by Van Aert, but I'm still waiting for the big two to duke it out without the winner being decided by a mechanical :(

09 Oct 2016 16:12

Ya I guess I was wrong about today :) Van der Poel lost a lot of time even after the bike replacement. I wonder if Van Aert might have caught him anyway.

But I agree it would be nice to see them duke it out next weekend without a mechanical deciding.

For the time being Van Aert has a good lead in the BVV trofee and Van der Pol won't catch him in the world cup unless Van Aert misses a race probably.

Can Wout repeat winning all of the major classifications?
User avatar StephenC2020

15 Oct 2016 15:28

Micheal Vanthourenhout won today at the Polderscross in Kruibeke. Wout van Aert was second after small mechanical problem that he could keep riding with stopped him from staying with Vanthourenhout in the closing stages. Corne van Kessel won the sprint for 3rd from Laurens Sweeck, Phillip Walsleben and Stan Godrie.

Jolien Verschueren took the win in the womens race, with Maud Kapitheijns in second and Ellen van Loy.

In the Junior mens race, there were no belgians. Brit Thomas Pidcock won with a gap of 33 secs over frenchman Antoine Benoist. Fellow brit Daniel Tullet came in 57 secs down on the winner in third.

Started watching the mens race part way through, but it was a good battle. Looking forward to the pit in Zonhoven tommorrow! :D

16 Oct 2016 15:38

What a race in Zonhoven. Van der Poel won in the sprint after a tough battle between him and Van Aert.
User avatar Ricco'

PreviousNext

Return to General