Log in:  

Register

Race Thread

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Eshnar

01 Nov 2012 16:08

Echoes wrote:9th Koppenberg win for Nys, lol. Can be as impressive as Liboton's 16 wins in Overijse. In this storm that was funny (for us, tv-viewers).

Whatever happened to Van der Haar? Was he injured? Sick?


Oh and great to see some foreigners on an ex-GvA cross. Finally a Swiss doing well. And Duval, Frenchy who cares to defy the Belgians at home. With no Stybar or Van der Haar, you could have thought this would be an all-Belgian affair.


VDH doesn't ride all races of this classification, he skips them until the second to last manche. Riding a full pro season might be a bit too much for a 21 year old, so he's taking his rest in between. He's also suffered minor injuries on his hip and hand in the Nacht van Woerden last week in the Netherlands, which caused him to ride below his normal level in Plzen.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,284
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

02 Nov 2012 09:25

Echoes wrote:Oh and great to see some foreigners on an ex-GvA cross. Finally a Swiss doing well. And Duval, Frenchy who cares to defy the Belgians at home. With no Stybar or Van der Haar, you could have thought this would be an all-Belgian affair.


Two dutch guys in the top 10, a good swiss guy again from a top pro team :)
and finally a french guy who doesn't slow down after a good start (like chainel) or after 3/4 race (Mouray last two seasons).
I think 4 non Flandrien riders, in the GvA which is the most Belgium-dominated normally!

Echoes wrote:Sad end of the race. I don't like these team calculations. I don't think Vantornout wished to slow down and wait for Pauwels, but was ordered to do so (I think De Clercq was on the stairs, wasn't he?). Pauwels in the Fidea team would never race for the team or receive any help from the team except in the last leg of a challenge, so I guess I knew Klaas had the right to go for second.

True, but what would you do if you are the boss? Giving Vantornhout the change who did not seem to have a change for the win and wins just ones every year or help Pauwels for his ranking, who won the whole serie last year incl. World cup and a lot of races...

Pentacycle wrote:VDH doesn't ride all races of this classification, he skips them until the second to last manche. Riding a full pro season might be a bit too much for a 21 year old, so he's taking his rest in between. He's also suffered minor injuries on his hip and hand in the Nacht van Woerden last week in the Netherlands, which caused him to ride below his normal level in Plzen.


Thanks for making it clear. I think van der Haar focusses on the World cup races and rides all those. I do no any plans about the Superprestige.
Matthijs
Junior Member
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 25 Oct 2010 23:34

04 Nov 2012 14:11

I haven't been following Cyclocross for a long time, so I suppose that's general knowledge anyway, but I have to say: wow, what a spectacular course is this in Zonhoven? That's got to be a blast to ride. :D

eta: very exciting right up to the finish line too, great race!
User avatar spalco
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,679
Joined: 01 Feb 2011 18:13
Location: Vienna

04 Nov 2012 15:18

Yes Zonhoven is known as a hard and spectacular course, and on sand, with the up-and-donw on the former rubbish dump. And the rest of the setting is very beautiful.

Great mano a mano in front.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,998
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

04 Nov 2012 15:21

Pentacycle wrote:VDH doesn't ride all races of this classification, he skips them until the second to last manche. Riding a full pro season might be a bit too much for a 21 year old, so he's taking his rest in between. He's also suffered minor injuries on his hip and hand in the Nacht van Woerden last week in the Netherlands, which caused him to ride below his normal level in Plzen.



Thanks too for making it clear.


Today, he yet again showed his youth hotheadedness. :D And he even admits it in the itw. When he came back, he knew he would blow up. His interviews are still very funny. :D
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,998
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

y

04 Nov 2012 15:32

Matthijs wrote:Two dutch guys in the top 10, a good swiss guy again from a top pro team :)


Taramarcaz made another great ride today. He's a mtb specialist too, so I think those courses are tailor-made for him. In Hamme-Zogge that will be something else.

It's normal to have Dutchies in the top10, though. They've never left cross, unlike some might think.


Matthijs wrote:True, but what would you do if you are the boss? Giving Vantornhout the change who did not seem to have a change for the win and wins just ones every year or help Pauwels for his ranking, who won the whole serie last year incl. World cup and a lot of races...


Well I insist on the fact that when Fidea had a mighty team, none of their riders would ever race for one another, except perhaps in the final leg of a given challenge when team mates had nothing left to gain or lose. Pauwels raced for Fidea. And he would mix it up with teammate Stybar in the sprint without any of the two making a present to the other one, and the boss did not have a say either. I remember that very well.

Just imagine KP has to retire from one race, the ranking is over for him and the hopes of the team would be on Klaas's shoulders. It was just the second leg.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,998
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

04 Nov 2012 15:49

Echoes wrote:Thanks too for making it clear.


Today, he yet again showed his youth hotheadedness. :D And he even admits it in the itw. When he came back, he knew he would blow up. His interviews are still very funny. :D

His interviews are funny? He's the only one of these guys who actually says something, it's refreshing.

He's obviously just riding to get stronger, not bothering too much about results. And I like it.

Echoes wrote:Taramarcaz made another great ride today. He's a mtb specialist too, so I think those courses are tailor-made for him. In Hamme-Zogge that will be something else.

It's normal to have Dutchies in the top10, though. They've never left cross, unlike some might think.

No, they haven't. But Holland isn't a cross nation anymore.
theyoungest
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,244
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

04 Nov 2012 16:12

Is it offensive to be funny?

I'm a fan of his because of that. After his first World title, he said road cycling was boring (saai). That was funny as well.

Here when Mannaerts asks him if he knew whether he would blow up when he joined the two leaders, he unambiguously said 'Ja'. (if I understood well because Dutch is not my mother tongue) Sorry but I had to smile ...

Also when he described his cramps, I had a little smile (even though he must have suffered)

He's young and frank and that's refreshing. And funny.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,998
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

04 Nov 2012 16:29

Ah, you mean he's funny in the interviews. Subtle difference :p

Of course in a world of Kevin Pauwelses and Lars Booms it's easy to be the slightly more interesting (and less dumb) interviewee.
theyoungest
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,244
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

04 Nov 2012 17:29

They all have their own personality, which we have to respect.

The most important for me is that they remain themselves when on camera.

I'm sure that Van der Haar is as carefree off camera than he is on camera.

Pauwels is as shy on and off too. The guy suffered from a slight form of autism when he was young.


But I know a lot of riders who look nice on camera but are true j*rks off camera.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,998
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

05 Nov 2012 16:25

Franzoi wins in Radquer Hittnau, Switzerland. Cool! :)

1 Enrico FRANZOI ITA 1:00:55
2 Lukas WINTERBERG SUI 1:00:56
3 Elia SILVESTRI ITA 1:01:44
4 Nicola ROHRBACH SUI 1:01:58
5 Marco PONTA ITA 1:02:35
6 Laurent COLOMBATTO FRA 1:02:59
7 Sascha WEBER GER 1:03:10
8 Marcel WILDHABER SUI 1:03:16
9 Andreas MOSER SUI 1:03:18
10 Lars FORSTER SUI 1:03:55
11 Severin SAGESSER SUI 1:04:12
12 Lorenzo SAMPARISI ITA 1:04:13
13 Fabian LIENHARD SUI 1:04:13
14 Lukas MÜLLER SUI 1:04:15
15 René LANG SUI 1:04:34
16 Melvin RULLIERE FRA 1:04:40
17 Michael WILDHABER SUI 1:04:52
18 David KASEK CZE 1:05:39
19 Jonas BAUMANN SUI 1:05:46
20 Martin GLUTH GER 1:05:59
21 Dario STAUBLE SUI
22 Nico BRÜNGGER SUI
23 Stefan ACHERMANN SUI
24 Fabio URSI ITA
25 Vaclav METLICKA SVK
26 Thomas BOULOGNE FRA
27 Peter ERDIN SUI
28 Rick REIMANN SUI
29 Fabian HEROLD SUI
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,998
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

07 Nov 2012 10:57

theyoungest wrote:No, they haven't. But Holland isn't a cross nation anymore.


...and yet they win in every category on a regular basis except the pro's. Mathieu van der Poel absolutely destroys the field in every single race on the Junior level and judged by his lap times he'd probably dominate the U-23's as well very soon. Mike Teunissen just became European champion at U-23 level and has already won a couple of races emphatically this season. Corné van Kessel is also doing well in that category. Sanne van Paassen is doing really well in the women's category by winning in Tabor and just getting out-sprinted for gold at the EC, and we all know what will happen once Vos starts racing at the end of this month... Even in the ''nieuwelingen'' category the Dutch have strong riders coming up with Max Gulickx recently winning in Zonhoven and either winning or podium for every other race. If this doesn't get the Netherlands interested in cyclocross then nothing will. I fear that as long as they don't break through in the pro ranks nothing will change.

Out of all these - male - riders I think Mathieu van der Poel has the most potential to dominate on pro level, though I really like Lars van der Haar and hope he'll be a genuine force to be reckoned with in a year or two and break the Belgian hegemony. I am also really intrigued by Julien Taramarcaz, hope to see more of him in races to come.
Spine Concept
Member
 
Posts: 980
Joined: 28 Apr 2010 17:47

08 Nov 2012 10:28

Spine Concept wrote:...and yet they win in every category on a regular basis except the pro's. Mathieu van der Poel absolutely destroys the field in every single race on the Junior level and judged by his lap times he'd probably dominate the U-23's as well very soon. Mike Teunissen just became European champion at U-23 level and has already won a couple of races emphatically this season. Corné van Kessel is also doing well in that category. Sanne van Paassen is doing really well in the women's category by winning in Tabor and just getting out-sprinted for gold at the EC, and we all know what will happen once Vos starts racing at the end of this month... Even in the ''nieuwelingen'' category the Dutch have strong riders coming up with Max Gulickx recently winning in Zonhoven and either winning or podium for every other race. If this doesn't get the Netherlands interested in cyclocross then nothing will. I fear that as long as they don't break through in the pro ranks nothing will change.

Out of all these - male - riders I think Mathieu van der Poel has the most potential to dominate on pro level, though I really like Lars van der Haar and hope he'll be a genuine force to be reckoned with in a year or two and break the Belgian hegemony. I am also really intrigued by Julien Taramarcaz, hope to see more of him in races to come.


True, but allmost all races disappeared since Richard Groenendaal is not at hit toplevel any more. The days of Groenendaal, Adri van der Poel and Wim de Vos are over. Just one good guy last 5 years and he switched to the road.
I hope there is a bright future. But Dutch audiences onlywant the best. They cheer for the Tour and Vuelta. The interest will grow as Dutch guys win Wc's, Wereldbeker-rounds and stuff. U23 is interesting and there is potention yes. But they have to stay in the dirt and come on the level as the Belgium guys.
Matthijs
Junior Member
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 25 Oct 2010 23:34

08 Nov 2012 17:24

Spine Concept wrote:...and yet they win in every category on a regular basis except the pro's. Mathieu van der Poel absolutely destroys the field in every single race on the Junior level and judged by his lap times he'd probably dominate the U-23's as well very soon. Mike Teunissen just became European champion at U-23 level and has already won a couple of races emphatically this season. Corné van Kessel is also doing well in that category. Sanne van Paassen is doing really well in the women's category by winning in Tabor and just getting out-sprinted for gold at the EC, and we all know what will happen once Vos starts racing at the end of this month... Even in the ''nieuwelingen'' category the Dutch have strong riders coming up with Max Gulickx recently winning in Zonhoven and either winning or podium for every other race. If this doesn't get the Netherlands interested in cyclocross then nothing will. I fear that as long as they don't break through in the pro ranks nothing will change.

Out of all these - male - riders I think Mathieu van der Poel has the most potential to dominate on pro level, though I really like Lars van der Haar and hope he'll be a genuine force to be reckoned with in a year or two and break the Belgian hegemony. I am also really intrigued by Julien Taramarcaz, hope to see more of him in races to come.

I'm not saying Holland sucks in cyclocross (certainly not in the youth categories) but the Dutch public doesn't give a rat's a.ss about the sport. I doubt most of them even know it exists.

Mathieu van der Poel to me seems a really big talent, who will turn out to be too good to stay in cyclocross. But we'll see.
theyoungest
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,244
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

08 Nov 2012 18:33

theyoungest wrote:I'm not saying Holland sucks in cyclocross (certainly not in the youth categories) but the Dutch public doesn't give a rat's a.ss about the sport. I doubt most of them even know it exists.

Mathieu van der Poel to me seems a really big talent, who will turn out to be too good to stay in cyclocross. But we'll see.


I wasn't implying that you said Holland sucks in cyclocross hence the ''...and yet'' as in ''be that as it may...'' start of my post and the ''if that doesn't get Holland interested in cyclocross then nothing will'' bit. I was just pointing out what a shame it is that Holland disregard the great results of their compatriots in all ranks - except the pro's - of late. Which is why I really hope van der Haar and/or van der Poel really make it big on pro level and command the respect they deserve. Agree on van der Poel though, albeit probably being the biggest talent in cyclocross currently, that might also be his biggest hurdle; staying put.
Spine Concept
Member
 
Posts: 980
Joined: 28 Apr 2010 17:47

14 Nov 2012 13:52

Spine Concept wrote:I wasn't implying that you said Holland sucks in cyclocross hence the ''...and yet'' as in ''be that as it may...'' start of my post and the ''if that doesn't get Holland interested in cyclocross then nothing will'' bit. I was just pointing out what a shame it is that Holland disregard the great results of their compatriots in all ranks - except the pro's - of late. Which is why I really hope van der Haar and/or van der Poel really make it big on pro level and command the respect they deserve. Agree on van der Poel though, albeit probably being the biggest talent in cyclocross currently, that might also be his biggest hurdle; staying put.


Let's not forget Tijmen Eijsing, Corne van Kessel and Mike Teunissen. Or Sophie de Boer and Sabrina Stultiens (who joined the pro-races too soon because she too good for junior racing like Lars van der Haar or Tom meeusen two season ago). Or Twan van de Brand and Thijs van Amerongen.
I noticed a slight increase in tv-exposure. I think they show some World Cup events live on Dutch tv, depending on the schemes of other sports. Probably because Lars van der Haar.
Matthijs
Junior Member
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 25 Oct 2010 23:34

14 Nov 2012 23:02

and Gert-Jan Bosman! :)
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,998
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

16 Nov 2012 08:26

Matthijs wrote:Let's not forget Tijmen Eijsing, Corne van Kessel and Mike Teunissen. Or Sophie de Boer and Sabrina Stultiens (who joined the pro-races too soon because she too good for junior racing like Lars van der Haar or Tom meeusen two season ago). Or Twan van de Brand and Thijs van Amerongen.
I noticed a slight increase in tv-exposure. I think they show some World Cup events live on Dutch tv, depending on the schemes of other sports. Probably because Lars van der Haar.


I already mentioned Corné van Kessel and Mike Teunissen just a couple of posts above. The others you mentioned were not really at the forefront - though van der Brand and van Amerongen did get some top 10 placings - this season yet which is why I did not mention them. Lars van der Haar really deserves the exposure though, he's been awesome, especially when you consider that he's technically still an espoir. I think Mathieu van der Poel will be a more dominating force in the pro ranks though, being a junior and looking at his lap times he would probably be dominating the espoirs already - and easily riding in the pro peloton. I also hope that Meeusen can turn the tide this season and have some good luck for a change, the poor guy has had enough already.
Spine Concept
Member
 
Posts: 980
Joined: 28 Apr 2010 17:47

16 Nov 2012 19:41

Bosman > van Kessel, for me.

He's not in form this winter season, but last year for his 1st year as U23, he was impressive. And this summer too.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,998
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

17 Nov 2012 16:13

Cyclocross fans, still alive?

BPost event today in Hasselt, Nys with 15 seconds ahead of Albert on a course that is usually short on gaps between 1st and 2nd.

Tomorrow, Superprestige Asper Gavere, my own favourite. ;)
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,998
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Back to top