Register

Race Thread

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

04 Feb 2018 14:53

benzwire wrote:
TourOfSardinia wrote:A live feed for the mens http://sebn.me/sebn-5.html

Amazing how Van Aert revels in deep mud

Just tuned in, mid-race. What happened to Van der Poel? I thought he'd be lapping the field by now!

You mean van Aert? Nothing! He's lapping the field as expected.
User avatar Vroome.exe

Re: Re:

04 Feb 2018 14:54

benzwire wrote:
TourOfSardinia wrote:A live feed for the mens http://sebn.me/sebn-5.html

Amazing how Van Aert revels in deep mud

Just tuned in, mid-race. What happened to Van der Poel? I thought he'd be lapping the field by now!

wrong centre of gravity for this course - needs shorter legs!
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re: Race Thread

04 Feb 2018 15:01

I don't follow cross too closely, but wasn't Van der Poel the overwhelming favorite for this race?
User avatar benzwire

04 Feb 2018 15:15

Belgium 3 - UK 2 not a bad scoreline for the weekend with 2 Big Favourites having off days...
3wheeler

04 Feb 2018 15:54

WVA X3! He picked a great time to have his best race this year!
jmdirt

04 Feb 2018 16:24

benzwire wrote:I don't follow cross too closely, but wasn't Van der Poel the overwhelming favorite for this race?

Yes, but people were forgetting a bit that a) WvA is also a huge talent, b) a race with plenty of running favours WvA and c) that the pressure would be very high on VDP in front of his home crowd (and a parcours his father designed).
User avatar Jagartrott

05 Feb 2018 09:09

Jagartrott wrote:
benzwire wrote:I don't follow cross too closely, but wasn't Van der Poel the overwhelming favorite for this race?

Yes, but people were forgetting a bit that a) WvA is also a huge talent, b) a race with plenty of running favours WvA and c) that the pressure would be very high on VDP in front of his home crowd (and a parcours his father designed).

Funny enough, it's the exact same podium, and similar story, as the U23 race in Hoogerheide - where VDP was the overwhelming favourite, in front of his home crowd, on his father's parcours.
User avatar Gung Ho Gun

05 Feb 2018 11:11

Didn't his father also design last year's course? Maybe he's secretly rooting against Mathieu :D

Really surprising result yesterday and not that great of a race really, even though it was pretty impressive to see Van Aert's determination and grit.
Reminded me a bit of the Namur race where MVDP started strong and then suddenly faded, though that was due to sickness I think. Wondering whether MVDP just ran out of steam after such a long season, or whether it was mental? I read that WVA would be better in the mud, but I didn't expect it to be by such a huge margin.

Also, here's another "new to cyclocross"-question: How important is the WC? Will MVDP's season be regarded as a failure now even though he won pretty much everything else, or is it similar to road cycling with other races being of similar status to the WC?
davebqvst

Re:

05 Feb 2018 11:38

davebqvst wrote:Didn't his father also design last year's course? Maybe he's secretly rooting against Mathieu :D

Really surprising result yesterday and not that great of a race really, even though it was pretty impressive to see Van Aert's determination and grit.
Reminded me a bit of the Namur race where MVDP started strong and then suddenly faded, though that was due to sickness I think. Wondering whether MVDP just ran out of steam after such a long season, or whether it was mental? I read that WVA would be better in the mud, but I didn't expect it to be by such a huge margin.

Also, here's another "new to cyclocross"-question: How important is the WC? Will MVDP's season be regarded as a failure now even though he won pretty much everything else, or is it similar to road cycling with other races being of similar status to the WC?

No, the man of the season is MVDP. But WvA rescue his season with the rainbow jersey.
Bakkie

06 Feb 2018 14:34

On hard climbing courses with a lot of mud Van Aert is simply better.

Ironically the way Adri changed the course of Valkenburg he made it far less suited to VdP and better for Van Aert. The old Valkenburg course would have been perfect for VdP (shorter explosive climbs, more technical sections)
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Previous

Return to General