Register

US CX canceled due to rain

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Valv.Piti

13 Jan 2015 03:31

OffTheBackAdam wrote:Bunch of bloody tree-huggers! Completely clueless. Photos of a huge Oak, how far do they think its root system speads, how deep & what % will be damaged?
Evolution has made plants resistant to such minor damage.
Typical stupid Watermelons, I'm amazed that they've not worked some "Climate Change" rubbish into their argument too.
:mad:

They actually posted the parameters...it's science Mr. Dinosaur rider. The Austin officials authorizing the event should certainly consulted the Park officials about areas of protection; particularly specimen trees. It took 300 years to grow them and about 2 seconds for a cycling genius to discount their importance.
I really hope you were kidding.
Oldman

13 Jan 2015 17:35

User avatar Afrank
Veteran

13 Jan 2015 19:12

Afrank wrote:Good article about the conflict and where the blame lies- http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/01/news/cyclocross/commentary-nationals-disaster_358091

In the typical Velonews style of hard research they assume a tone, ask questions and don't bother to actually follow up on research.
The reality is you can damage tree roots with 1800 cyclists doing multiple laps over them. No genius in that research just like no intellect applied in the planning between organizer and Parks/Rec. As a builder constantly working with Parks departments and City Arborists it seems like a major oversight not to start with natural obstacles that need to be avoided. Plenty of blame to go around but ultimately the organizer should ask the questions.
Oldman

13 Jan 2015 20:06

Oldman wrote:Plenty of blame to go around but ultimately the organizer should ask the questions.

“In the end, it’s on us. I get that,” Rice said. “But I’ve been wracking my brain on what I could have done differently to avoid the cancelation, and I can come up with nothing.”

There's just no way this bid should have been accepted.

This was the organizer's first event, apparently the first time in the park too. There's a reason prior trouble-free events were experienced C1 promoters in an already-used location. Either Rice is given the location in a box and has to work with what he gets, or he along with others at USAC were just plain dumb about their abilities.

To the promoter's credit, it was a tough course and the rest of the logistics seemed like they went off without a problem.
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

13 Jan 2015 21:52

Oldman wrote:They actually posted the parameters...it's science Mr. Dinosaur rider. The Austin officials authorizing the event should certainly consulted the Park officials about areas of protection; particularly specimen trees. It took 300 years to grow them and about 2 seconds for a cycling genius to discount their importance.
I really hope you were kidding.

Yep. It's only a bike race. Hilarious to see so many people getting bent out of shape. It's not even in Europe. How important could it be? Seriously.
winkybiker

14 Jan 2015 01:34

USA CX Nationals = Race to see who finishes 32nd at Worlds.
User avatar Moose McKnuckles
Veteran

15 Jan 2015 21:24

Moose McKnuckles wrote:USA CX Nationals = Race to see who finishes 32nd at Worlds.

If they have the sponsor money and ego to go there. Actually US riders have made some improvements in performance to be in the same time zone. Logan Owen, the U-23 guy is a great crit rider and reasonable road racer. Given time and continued self-abuse he could be a really good CXer. Hope he comes to his senses, soon.
Oldman

15 Jan 2015 22:11

Moose McKnuckles wrote:USA CX Nationals = Race to see who finishes 32nd at Worlds.

DNF list is pretty impressive too.
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

17 Jan 2015 21:12

I know you're exaggerating for effect, but still, that's a bit harsh. Top American has only finished outside the top 20 twice in the last 10 years. And we've got Worlds podium contenders in the Junior Male and Elite Womens divisions.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Previous

Return to General