Log in:  

Register

Bolt Thru Wheels for Road Training

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Valv.Piti

Bolt Thru Wheels for Road Training

19 Feb 2015 15:14

Hello All,

I've recently been fortunate enough to buy a Norco Threshold SL Ultegra (God bless cycle to work scheme). The bike comes with the following wheels:

Rims: Stan?s ZTR Iron Cross Rims ? Black
Front Hub: Alloy 15?100mm Thru-Axle Disc 28h ? Black
Rear Hub: Alloy 12?142mm Thru-Axle Disc 28h ? Black
Spokes: Sapim Laser Butted ? Black w/Alloy Nipple
Tyres: Clement Crusade PDX 700 ? 33c ? Folding

I'd like a spare set of wheels so I can use the bike at a winter training road bike. I'm struggling to find a set of bolt thru road wheels without getting them built. Any suggestions please?

Lardspice.
Lardspice
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Feb 2015 15:08

19 Feb 2015 21:39

Why not get some built? You'll get some H+ Son Archetype rims on Hope Pro Evo 2's for a very good price.

Or just use the wheels you have with some road tyres?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,336
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

20 Feb 2015 01:25

Easton does some. The EA-90XD uses their 'future proof' hub which is convertible to front and rear thru axle.

Otherwise, why not just get a set of narrow 29er MTB wheels?
dougvdh
New Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 19 Jun 2011 12:59

20 Feb 2015 15:07

Lardspice wrote:Hello All,

I've recently been fortunate enough to buy a Norco Threshold SL Ultegra (God bless cycle to work scheme). The bike comes with the following wheels:

Rims: Stan?s ZTR Iron Cross Rims ? Black
Front Hub: Alloy 15?100mm Thru-Axle Disc 28h ? Black
Rear Hub: Alloy 12?142mm Thru-Axle Disc 28h ? Black
Spokes: Sapim Laser Butted ? Black w/Alloy Nipple
Tyres: Clement Crusade PDX 700 ? 33c ? Folding

I'd like a spare set of wheels so I can use the bike at a winter training road bike. I'm struggling to find a set of bolt thru road wheels without getting them built. Any suggestions please?

Lardspice.

The description of these wheels seems like a winter wheel already with 33c tires. disk brakes save the rims. Just change to a more flat resistant tire over the winter. Yes a spare set of wheels is sweet but I bet tires is the only real change you need for winter.
User avatar Master50
Member
 
Posts: 1,163
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:52
Location: Vancouver Island

21 Feb 2015 18:22

King Boonen wrote:Why not get some built? You'll get some H+ Son Archetype rims on Hope Pro Evo 2's for a very good price.

Or just use the wheels you have with some road tyres?


Can't put road tires on the rims.

Cheers

Lardspice
Lardspice
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Feb 2015 15:08

21 Feb 2015 21:24

Lardspice wrote:Can't put road tires on the rims.

Cheers

Lardspice


Why? They're only 20mm wide. I know Stans say they're for cyclocross tyres but what's the difference in the bead?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,336
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

22 Feb 2015 02:51

Stans says the Iron Cross has a max pressure of 45psi. For a tubeless CX tire, this would seem reasonable. But with a tube, I don't see why that would be the limit.

Send Stans an email asking what tire pressure with a 28c tire would be acceptable - they're fairly responsive.
dougvdh
New Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 19 Jun 2011 12:59

22 Feb 2015 16:13

dougvdh wrote:Stans says the Iron Cross has a max pressure of 45psi. For a tubeless CX tire, this would seem reasonable. But with a tube, I don't see why that would be the limit.

Send Stans an email asking what tire pressure with a 28c tire would be acceptable - they're fairly responsive.


I just received a pair of Fulcrum Red passion MTB wheels and they have a max pressure of 33 PSI. too low for road use. I have seen this on a number of MTB wheels lately. I wonder what happens if you inflate to road pressures? Will rims fail?
User avatar Master50
Member
 
Posts: 1,163
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:52
Location: Vancouver Island

23 Feb 2015 15:20

Many of the tubeless-ready rims don't really have a fully hooked bead since they rely more on the tire bead's interface to the rim bed for keeping the tire in place rather than the mechanical engagement between the bead and the rim hook. So if you use a high pressure road tire, (especially one with a bead that has some stretch to it), the risk would be that the bead doesn't get enough engagement with the (reduced) rim hook. The rim won't likely fail, but the tire could blow off - same as on a standard rim, but at a potentially lower pressure.
dougvdh
New Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 19 Jun 2011 12:59

23 Feb 2015 19:33

Master50 wrote:The description of these wheels seems like a winter wheel already with 33c tires. disk brakes save the rims. Just change to a more flat resistant tire over the winter. Yes a spare set of wheels is sweet but I bet tires is the only real change you need for winter.


I think you're probably right... it will be cheaper at least.

Lardspice
Lardspice
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Feb 2015 15:08

Re:

26 Dec 2015 13:49

Lardspice wrote:
Master50 wrote:The description of these wheels seems like a winter wheel already with 33c tires. disk brakes save the rims. Just change to a more flat resistant tire over the winter. Yes a spare set of wheels is sweet but I bet tires is the only real change you need for winter.


I think you're probably right... it will be cheaper at least.

Lardspice


Almost a year old but find a good local wheelbuilder who can get some XT/SLX hubs, some Velocity, H+Son rims and build you a set. Great hubs, not expensive.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,107
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jaylew and 1 guest

Back to top