Register

Enjoy the Ride

Whether it's cross country, marathon or gravity, post all your MTB chat here.

Moderator: Red Rick

Enjoy the Ride

11 Apr 2015 13:39

I was out for a ride at the end of a sleep deprived, brutal week, not feeling too great but glad to be on the dirt. As I turned up the main climb on this loop I see a rider about 300 meters up the trail. Ah, good a target to motivate me up the climb. It took me most of the climb to catch him. When I got behind him I saw that this six foot tall guy was riding a small (maybe 15") mid '90s bike with the seat pretty low that allowed less than half leg extension. He was wearing cargo pants, old jogging shoes, and a skate helmet. In my head I'm wondering: "am I that tired?" I went around him, flew across a cool traverse onto the most technical downhill in the lower front. I absolutely railed the DH! The trail I took at the bottom gave me a view of most of the lower part of the DH I just did, and what do I see? That guy is maybe 30 seconds back! I slowed down and he rode up to me. I told him how cool it was that he was absolutely tearing it up, and asked him if he was a pro incognito. He said that he had never been a pro but did a few races as an expert in the '90s. He tries to ride at least twice a week, but he can only afford to have one bike for he and son to share! I wish I had the extra cash to buy the guy a bike! I hope to see him on the trails again!
Last edited by jmdirt on 16 Sep 2015 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
jmdirt

23 Apr 2015 12:13

You seen the surfers T-shirt - "Old Guys Rule!"?

Any idea who he was? Was this UK?
AJ101

28 Apr 2015 15:38

Cool tail . Funny how we think he needs a bike and we wish we could do something about it on our own. I see so many kids that should be riding that when I see someone doing it but on the wring bike I really want them to have the bike they need.
User avatar Master50

13 May 2015 16:52

Back in the late 70s, there was a pro motocrosser named Bob 'Hurricane' Hannah, who was setting the world on fire. Took his first of three US championships at age 19. I once read a story he'd written about a particular day when he'd gone out into the SoCal desert, to his remote and 'secret' test area, for a training ride. Before heading out on his tricked-out works Yamaha, he stopped by a small desert shop and eat-in to stock up on cheesy comestibles and fizzy drink before starting his day's work.

Also in the luncheon area was some grizzled old dinosaur wearing well-worn, old-fashioned leather mx riding kit (as opposed to the Hurricane's SOTA nylon garb) and having a sarnie and a Coke. Bob sussed him out and decided he must be the rider of the decrepit old Bultaco mx-er he'd passed leaned up against the front of the building as he entered, so he thought to follow the old codger when he left out, just to take a bit of the pizz out of him.

Or at least that was the plan. Before the Hurricane could overtake him, the old man heard him coming and twisted the tail on his antique motorbike, and he was suddenly "gone with the wind." Hannah pursued until nearly out of petrol, but he never was able to overtake him.

Back at the desert store, gobsmacked, Bob asked the clerk who the rider of the old Bultaco might have been.

"He's that movie actor fella. Comes in here all the time. McQueen, I think he is."

"Steve McQueen?"

"Yeah, he's the one."

And as if being outpaced by a rat bike wasn't insult enough, McQueen outweighed the Hurricane by a good 25 years.
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

14 May 2015 17:13

Great stories guys! Thanks for sharing.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

Re:

15 May 2015 16:12

StyrbjornSterki wrote:Back in the late 70s, there was a pro motocrosser named Bob 'Hurricane' Hannah, who was setting the world on fire. Took his first of three US championships at age 19. I once read a story he'd written about a particular day when he'd gone out into the SoCal desert, to his remote and 'secret' test area, for a training ride. Before heading out on his tricked-out works Yamaha, he stopped by a small desert shop and eat-in to stock up on cheesy comestibles and fizzy drink before starting his day's work.

Also in the luncheon area was some grizzled old dinosaur wearing well-worn, old-fashioned leather mx riding kit (as opposed to the Hurricane's SOTA nylon garb) and having a sarnie and a Coke. Bob sussed him out and decided he must be the rider of the decrepit old Bultaco mx-er he'd passed leaned up against the front of the building as he entered, so he thought to follow the old codger when he left out, just to take a bit of the pizz out of him.

Or at least that was the plan. Before the Hurricane could overtake him, the old man heard him coming and twisted the tail on his antique motorbike, and he was suddenly "gone with the wind." Hannah pursued until nearly out of petrol, but he never was able to overtake him.

Back at the desert store, gobsmacked, Bob asked the clerk who the rider of the old Bultaco might have been.

"He's that movie actor fella. Comes in here all the time. McQueen, I think he is."

"Steve McQueen?"

"Yeah, he's the one."

And as if being outpaced by a rat bike wasn't insult enough, McQueen outweighed the Hurricane by a good 25 years.

I've ridden bikes with and without motors with Bob here in Idaho. When I say 'with' on motos, I mean way behind (more every lap). I chased him at Carlsbad for about 10 feet one time. ;)
jmdirt

17 May 2015 03:47

jmdirt

31 Jul 2015 06:19

haha,great,thank u for your sharing
William Bettee
Newly Registered Member

Re: Enjoy the Ride

10 Sep 2015 08:43

I like this amazing story
Ada Xu
Newly Registered Member

Re: Enjoy the Ride

11 Dec 2016 07:24

Sometimes, a little understanding can bring the greatest change.
What you thought was just beautiful.
If everybody of us has the identical thought in every aspect of life, maybe there will exist no grievance.....
iamparker
Newly Registered Member

19 Mar 2017 03:24

CRAZY day on the Boise trails today! I was out for some dirt before the rain and there are two motorcycles on the trail (no motor area) so I waved one down to let them know. Its was a cop on a his huge BMW. He told me that a man shot a dog, shot at hikers/runners, and is shooting at Police! I decided that it was a good day to ride somewhere else! The gunman eventually died (I'm not sure yet if he sot himself or if police did). I had a great ride, but I must admit to being somewhat uneasy.

Side note: I test rode a Triumph Street Twin at Triumph Ride Day this afternoon. Looks, sounds, and rides great! The Ninja may need to move out of the garage!
jmdirt

Return to General