Register

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Whether it's cross country, marathon or gravity, post all your MTB chat here.

Moderator: Red Rick

28 Jun 2017 00:27

jmdirt

02 Jul 2017 21:22

Nino is on a roll! He'll be tough to catch. SWI race next round.

MvP- he/many will blame the altitude, but as much as the thin air, XCM last weekend, 8 hour road ride this week, no specific training... I haven't heard what was wrong, but if he quit because he didn't feel good, that's something that he wants to avoid.

Belomoina is for real! Langvad, and Dahle on the box too.
jmdirt

12 Jul 2017 01:20

Nino locked up the series so the question becomes what does he do now? Does he try to win every race? Does he drift his focus a bit?

I like that MvP has struggled. Not because I want to see him do poorly, I don't because I like the kid, but because its a good message to those who think this dirt thing is easy. I have no doubt that if MvP wants to do well on the dirt he can, but it will take work and focus.
jmdirt

12 Jul 2017 09:52

Must be hard for Nino, he's just better than everyone else at all aspects of MTB XC racing. People struggle to match his skills downhill, which lets him save energy and so he's better on the climbs. I have to admit I thought we'd see him move to road or something else once the Olympic gold was in the bag, it must take a huge amount of focus to keep training as hard as required when he's already won everything.

I agree on MvP, I felt the same when road fans thought Sagan would podium or win the Olympics. Both of them could obviously be very good MTB riders, but it's not dirt crit racing anymore and you need to be doing it day in, day out to maintain the required skills. I think people thought MvP coming from 'cross would do fine as they are both off-road, but again cross is nothing like XC racing these days, the courses are really technical, to the point that most people who ride MTB would probably want to be on a 140mm+ FS.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

12 Jul 2017 12:43

King Boonen wrote:Must be hard for Nino, he's just better than everyone else at all aspects of MTB XC racing. People struggle to match his skills downhill, which lets him save energy and so he's better on the climbs. I have to admit I thought we'd see him move to road or something else once the Olympic gold was in the bag, it must take a huge amount of focus to keep training as hard as required when he's already won everything.

I agree on MvP, I felt the same when road fans thought Sagan would podium or win the Olympics. Both of them could obviously be very good MTB riders, but it's not dirt crit racing anymore and you need to be doing it day in, day out to maintain the required skills. I think people thought MvP coming from 'cross would do fine as they are both off-road, but again cross is nothing like XC racing these days, the courses are really technical, to the point that most people who ride MTB would probably want to be on a 140mm+ FS.

MVP isn't struggling with tech skills. He did XCM WCH (finished 4th) between those two high altitude XCO races and just blew up little bit. And he's still very young. CX riders are technically on par with XCO ones.
Sagan might lost some skills on MTB but he still was junior XCO WCH winner and 3rd or 4th in U23 XCO WCH and can handle his bike pretty well - even the road one. He would probably struggle more with that 70 min. full gas effort needed for good result in XCO.
glassmoon

Re: Re:

13 Jul 2017 07:49

glassmoon wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Must be hard for Nino, he's just better than everyone else at all aspects of MTB XC racing. People struggle to match his skills downhill, which lets him save energy and so he's better on the climbs. I have to admit I thought we'd see him move to road or something else once the Olympic gold was in the bag, it must take a huge amount of focus to keep training as hard as required when he's already won everything.

MVP isn't struggling with tech skills. He did XCM WCH (finished 4th) between those two high altitude XCO races and just blew up little bit. And he's still very young. CX riders are technically on par with XCO ones.
Sagan might lost some skills on MTB but he still was junior XCO WCH winner and 3rd or 4th in U23 XCO WCH and can handle his bike pretty well - even the road one. He would probably struggle more with that 70 min. full gas effort needed for good result in XCO.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, because I think that's rubbish.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

13 Jul 2017 13:14

Agreed, XCO riders can almost keep up with DH riders. Not quite, but almost.
Brullnux

13 Jul 2017 21:17

Even the Pro DH guys and gals take a few runs to figure out the trail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUki5Riaf8E&feature=em-subs_digest
jmdirt

06 Aug 2017 15:18

Kate Courtney with the U23 win! Can she put the USA back on the XC box in the elites?
Gwin with the win!
Seagrave!
Nino!
Yana!
jmdirt

21 Aug 2017 06:44

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/jenny-rissveds-to-miss-world-champs-2017.html
F*ck POC. F*ck SCF.
#boycottPOC - shady for over a year and UCI is, like usually, helpless and incompetent. Just shame.
glassmoon

Re:

21 Aug 2017 07:59

glassmoon wrote:https://www.pinkbike.com/news/jenny-rissveds-to-miss-world-champs-2017.html
F*ck POC. F*ck SCF.
#boycottPOC - shady for over a year and UCI is, like usually, helpless and incompetent. Just shame.

I'm stuggling to see how POC are at fault? Surely it's the SCF who have caused this?
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re: Re:

21 Aug 2017 08:54

King Boonen wrote:
glassmoon wrote:https://www.pinkbike.com/news/jenny-rissveds-to-miss-world-champs-2017.html
F*ck POC. F*ck SCF.

I'm stuggling to see how POC are at fault? Surely it's the SCF who have caused this?

They (POC) knew about it for a year, they knew JR (and others) has private contracts, they haven't propose any solution until it recently blew up. They basically thought SCF will make the riders comply with the ****** deal and buried their heads into the sand.
glassmoon

Re:

21 Aug 2017 12:41

F*ck POC. F*ck SCF.

This is on the federation.
jmdirt

21 Aug 2017 12:48

SCF signed the deal so it's fair to assume POC felt SCF had the standing to do this. From what little bits I've read in English, and the comments in the article you linked, it seems it is the SCF who are at fault. There are a few who think POC should drop the helmet/glasses requirement, but then why should POC have to be the ones to do this? Why not Scott and Oakley? SCF caused this mess, it's unfair to blame anyone else for it when they are all playing chicken with Jenny in the middle.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

28 Aug 2017 12:48

Nino sweeps!
jmdirt

28 Aug 2017 16:50

I am really impressed by Nino. He had to fight for it yesterday.
Absalon too, he is going to be ready for WC.
Very interested to see how Katie Courtney does in the elites. It has been a loooong time since a US citizen won an elite XC race. I thought Georgia Gould would but it never happened.
Hoping Grotts races World Cups next year too.
Last edited by papisimo98 on 30 Aug 2017 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar papisimo98

Re:

28 Aug 2017 18:31

papisimo98 wrote:I am really impressed by Nino. He had to fight for it yesterday.
Absalon too, he is going to be ready for WC.
Very interested to see if Katie Courtney does in the elites. It has been a loooong time since a US citizen won and elite XC race. I thought Georgia Gould would but it never happened.
Hoping Grotts races World Cups next year too.

Absalon looks like he's finally got things flying after a messy season.
Courtney! Kate is ready.
I keep thinking that Lea Davison is going to get on the box, get things rolling, and be a contender every race. She's solid, and maybe getting there...
jmdirt

09 Sep 2017 11:25

Schurter world champion!

Great race, Kulhavy was strong but Schurter opened up a gap very easily on the final lap. Litscher was a very surprising third placer, at least for me.
User avatar Ricco'

09 Sep 2017 19:19

Just unstoppable, maybe we should bring him into the road to stop Froome! :lol:
User avatar Climbing

09 Sep 2017 21:32

Congrats NS! Hopefully Nino will be back at the same level next year with some of the guys who had off years this year, some new faces, and MvdP.

Congrats to JN as well!
jmdirt

PreviousNext

Return to General