Register

Sram xx1

Whether it's cross country, marathon or gravity, post all your MTB chat here.

Moderators: Susan Westemeyer, Red Rick

22 May 2013 16:20

King Boonen wrote:I'm very new to the scene but I'm struggling to see the benefits of 1X anything over 2x or 3x for a recreational cyclist.

I have 3x Deore, I tend to leave it in the middle ring but I am glad of the big ring for long flats/easy descents and the granny ring has saved me pushing my bike up several climbs.

Am I missing something?

yes,
it's brand new and the best stuff since sliced bread.
plus, you need to ask boeing permission to have it since he's the only person with the wealth or connections to get such a gruppo.:p
glty
Past is Prologue[quote][/QUOTE]
User avatar papisimo98

22 May 2013 17:19

papisimo98 wrote:yes,
it's brand new and the best stuff since sliced bread.
plus, you need to ask boeing permission to have it since he's the only person with the wealth or connections to get such a gruppo.:p
glty

Well to be fair it's very popular in the mtb world, I've found lots of posts on mtb forums about people going 1x10, just none really saying why.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

22 May 2013 19:06

A few benefits(mostly minor) off the top of my head not in any particular order.
None of these are enough for me to drop the $$ to get this now, even
at Bro-deal prices, but when the current set-up wears out I'll probably upgrade to 1 x 11 and by then it'll be cheaper.

Less shifting to think about in technical terrain

Replace front shifter with dropper post switch without crowding the handlebars

Little to no chain slap compared to 2x or 3x drive trains

Weight savings

Better clearance over obstacles

It looks cool :cool:
biokemguy

07 Aug 2013 22:53

Boeing wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI1qz4OB5Rs

1x11
10-42 cassette.
No chain guide

Horizontal Rear Derailleur travel. perpendicular to impact.

Nice

Got it. Love it. Game changer.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

08 Aug 2013 00:13

slcbiker wrote:Yeah, I'm sure King is on it, but still would rather not have to make that switch. I could care less about having a 10 tooth cog vs an 11.

I'm also concerned about the cost and potentially quick wear of those large cogs.

But definitely agreed on the benefit of the clutched RD. I haven't ridden the SRAM version, but the Shimano version works very well, and as you said, basically eliminates chain drops.

The larger the cog the longer it lasts for the same use. That is why an aluminum Chainring lasts longer than several steel cassettes. The thing I worry about are the small cogs wearing out and you toss the whole cassette for a single worn out cog.
User avatar Master50

08 Aug 2013 18:25

The all black XO 1x11 group looks dopestick. All black cassette too dang. looking for them to put out the all black chain like the force and red 22 option alleged.

slight cost savings and small notable weight increase is the larger spindle on the XO version crank.
User avatar Boeing

15 Oct 2013 02:34

My next big waste of money on bikes will be an X01/XX1 set-up for my XC duallie. I'm going to stay on a metal 26'er for a long time, but I'm totally sold on 1x11. Changing the freehub body is annoying, but cheaper than replacing cranks so I can go 2x10 (yeah I'm still on 3x9) and running 1x10 (32 X 11-36) on my all-mountain hardtail let's me get away with most things already so 1x11 on the XC rig should be bonus fun. The whole changing onto the granny ring for steep things doesn't work for me as the only things around here steep enough to need it seem to come out of the blue and I'm not going to cross chain for entire switchback climbs just because there's a steep corner near the end.
Most people's signatures are a stupid waste of time, just like this one.
User avatar badboyberty

22 Oct 2013 18:48

badboyberty wrote:My next big waste of money on bikes will be an X01/XX1 set-up for my XC duallie. I'm going to stay on a metal 26'er for a long time, but I'm totally sold on 1x11. Changing the freehub body is annoying, but cheaper than replacing cranks so I can go 2x10 (yeah I'm still on 3x9) and running 1x10 (32 X 11-36) on my all-mountain hardtail let's me get away with most things already so 1x11 on the XC rig should be bonus fun. The whole changing onto the granny ring for steep things doesn't work for me as the only things around here steep enough to need it seem to come out of the blue and I'm not going to cross chain for entire switchback climbs just because there's a steep corner near the end.

the one overlooked benefit I like about the new derailleur is the lack of chain slap. it is so quite on the back side of a trail.
User avatar Boeing

27 Oct 2013 21:51

I can't bring myself to jump on the XX1 bandwagon, although in full disclosure, I have not tried it. I'm still sold on the XTR stuff. However, the new snow bike I want comes Sram only at this point, unless I want to do a custom build (Borealis Yampa).
User avatar Moose McKnuckles
Veteran

Previous

Return to General