Register

What Harm Does Mountain Biking Do?

Whether it's cross country, marathon or gravity, post all your MTB chat here.

Moderator: Red Rick

06 Dec 2013 14:49

Boeing wrote:Even Hippies and Vegans disagree with this post.

I can't speak for all hippies or vegans but me being both, yes, I disagree with his post. :D
User avatar veganrob

06 Dec 2013 18:05

veganrob wrote:I can't speak for all hippies or vegans but me being both, yes, I disagree with his post. :D

word my brother OP is from Babylon
User avatar Boeing

Re:

23 Jan 2016 23:10

Tom T. wrote:
MarkvW wrote:I don't think mountain bikes have any place in a true wilderness area, like a national park, but we all have to share the outdoors. I can't see any good reason for banning mountain bikes from any place that is regularly logged--especially if the mountain bikers contribute to the trail building in the area.

Mountain bikes can quickly chew up a hiking trail that took a ton of volunteer effort to build.

I agree that mountain bikers do not belong in a National Park or someplace like Baxter State Park here in Maine. But where I live in Portland, Maine, there would not be a fraction of the trails that exist without mountain bikers. There has been an explosion of trail building in and around the city, we can easily do a 50 mile MB ride on trail in Portland and the surrounding towns. This has been mostly spearheaded by mountain bikers. So hikers, dog walker and trail runners (something I also do) have benefited from the work of riders. We all coexist rather nicely.

What do you think "an explosion of trail building" is????? HABITAT DESTRUCTION! Thanks for demonstrating exactly how utterly ignorant and selfish mountain bikers are!
mjvande
Newly Registered Member

Re: so

23 Jan 2016 23:32

ebandit wrote:so you may ask yourself............what place do carefully engineered hiking trails have in any wilderness?

the world is there for ALL to explore............We don't require roads to do so

Mark L

And mountain bikers are able to WALK on all trails - unless you are too LAZY to do so.... Nothing else is stopping you.
mjvande
Newly Registered Member

24 Jan 2016 03:18

This; for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/user/globalmtb
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

01 Feb 2016 17:32

MarkvW wrote:
Tom T. wrote:I agree that mountain bikers do not belong in a National Park or someplace like Baxter State Park here in Maine. But where I live in Portland, Maine, there would not be a fraction of the trails that exist without mountain bikers. There has been an explosion of trail building in and around the city, we can easily do a 50 mile MB ride on trail in Portland and the surrounding towns. This has been mostly spearheaded by mountain bikers. So hikers, dog walker and trail runners (something I also do) have benefited from the work of riders. We all coexist rather nicely.

Yeah, I totally agree with you.

I'm new to the sport. But this is happening in central Indiana too. Bikers build the trails and ask everyone not to use when it's muddy. This annoys hikers, dog walkers and horse riders who think "it's a trail, it's supposed to have a bit of mud".....then get super defensive when those, that have put in the effort to build them (and maintain them) ask them to stop doing it.
Son of Amsterhammer

10 Feb 2016 19:46

Went for a ride this weekend. It's been raining a lot. Trails absolutely torn up by horses, bike tracks barely visible. Par for the course.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

Re: Re:

11 Feb 2016 16:47

mjvande wrote:
Tom T. wrote:
MarkvW wrote:I don't think mountain bikes have any place in a true wilderness area, like a national park, but we all have to share the outdoors. I can't see any good reason for banning mountain bikes from any place that is regularly logged--especially if the mountain bikers contribute to the trail building in the area.

Mountain bikes can quickly chew up a hiking trail that took a ton of volunteer effort to build.

I agree that mountain bikers do not belong in a National Park or someplace like Baxter State Park here in Maine. But where I live in Portland, Maine, there would not be a fraction of the trails that exist without mountain bikers. There has been an explosion of trail building in and around the city, we can easily do a 50 mile MB ride on trail in Portland and the surrounding towns. This has been mostly spearheaded by mountain bikers. So hikers, dog walker and trail runners (something I also do) have benefited from the work of riders. We all coexist rather nicely.

What do you think "an explosion of trail building" is????? HABITAT DESTRUCTION! Thanks for demonstrating exactly how utterly ignorant and selfish mountain bikers are!

The dear, elk, foxes, coyotes, wolves, bears, raccoon, porcupines, rabbits, squires, and others use the trails that we have built. Well designed/built trails enhances their habitat, while allowing us to share it with them. If you want to get nit-picky, your house is worse habitat destruction than a trail.
jmdirt

11 Apr 2016 21:57

If mankind ceased mountain biking, how many months would pass before nature had erased all evidence of this "destruction"?

If mankind ceased maintaining all the many millions of kilometres macadam roadway and hundreds of thousands of concrete buildings it has built, how many centuries would pass before nature had erased all evidence of this "civilization"?
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

Previous

Return to General