Register

Back into MTB after 15+ year hiatus

Whether it's cross country, marathon or gravity, post all your MTB chat here.

Moderator: Red Rick

Re: Re:

22 Sep 2015 11:11

red_flanders wrote:
King Boonen wrote:So Red_Flanders... Fully bitten by the MTB bug? :D

I find I swap between road and MTB and end up spending more time on one than the other (road this year due to me being an idiot...) but every time I get out for a proper ride on my MTB I'm reminded why I love all forms of cycling. There really is nothing better than being out in the hills on a sunny day with a few mates blasting down some steep, rocky trails :D

Not sure I'm fully bitten yet, but had a great ride in Marin and really enjoying it! No interest in road riding at this point. Lots of skills to brush up on, but I'm riding we'll both up and downhil compared to the folks I've been riding with. Got to get out with some friends and get pushed a bit, but a good couple of shakedown rides have been useful to make sure the bike is set up properly.

Looking forward to pushing things a bit this weekend.

It is really nice to be out on the trails, in the quiet and off the roads. Honestly the people are nicer as well.

I really struggle with upper body strength when I jump back on the MTB. Also, it's a lot more explosive than road riding so I find good riders can get away from me on the short, steep uphills, but tend to get more tired than me over the course of the ride.

As to the people, I kind of agree and disagree. In general it's easier to find nicer folk on the MTB I think, but you also tend to be more selective in the first place. Road riding generally involves club riding for those of use who are reasonably serious about it. You don't have much choice about who rides with the club or what pace group they choose. MTB is usually just riding with a few people so you can pick and choose more easily.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re: Re:

30 Sep 2015 16:31

King Boonen wrote:
red_flanders wrote:
King Boonen wrote:So Red_Flanders... Fully bitten by the MTB bug? :D

I find I swap between road and MTB and end up spending more time on one than the other (road this year due to me being an idiot...) but every time I get out for a proper ride on my MTB I'm reminded why I love all forms of cycling. There really is nothing better than being out in the hills on a sunny day with a few mates blasting down some steep, rocky trails :D

Not sure I'm fully bitten yet, but had a great ride in Marin and really enjoying it! No interest in road riding at this point. Lots of skills to brush up on, but I'm riding we'll both up and downhil compared to the folks I've been riding with. Got to get out with some friends and get pushed a bit, but a good couple of shakedown rides have been useful to make sure the bike is set up properly.

Looking forward to pushing things a bit this weekend.

It is really nice to be out on the trails, in the quiet and off the roads. Honestly the people are nicer as well.

I really struggle with upper body strength when I jump back on the MTB. Also, it's a lot more explosive than road riding so I find good riders can get away from me on the short, steep uphills, but tend to get more tired than me over the course of the ride.

As to the people, I kind of agree and disagree. In general it's easier to find nicer folk on the MTB I think, but you also tend to be more selective in the first place. Road riding generally involves club riding for those of use who are reasonably serious about it. You don't have much choice about who rides with the club or what pace group they choose. MTB is usually just riding with a few people so you can pick and choose more easily.

We're kind of opposites then–I really struggle to gain/keep endurance while power and upper body strength come fairly easily.

I think the differences between road riders and mountain bikers are two-fold. The nature of the sports are different, and the motivations of the riders seem different. In road cycling there is very much a group/pack mentality and riding style, and a strong aesthetic and athletic tie into racing. The group riding requires a very even and fairly high level of pack riding skills, and those who don't have them can cause a lot of trouble and crash you out pretty easily, doing some bodily harm and some real damage to expensive machines. As such, there tends to be a lot of aggressive and vocal corrections of riders perceived to be dangerous. I'm as guilty of this as anyone. There's also this race mentality where I think a lot of people are trying to live out some racing dreams, and as such there's a fair amount (or at least a lot more than in MTB) posturing and aggression. It's just more competitive. And there is traffic to deal with which can get testy as well.

MTB seems to be a group activity, but it's also not based on drafting, so there is more natural spacing between riders, more ride and wait for slower riders to catch up, and more time to pause and appreciate the natural beauty in the trails. Feels more like going skiing with some buddies where you attack a section and regroup. And no cars to avoid. :)

Anyway, really enjoying it.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

Re: Back into MTB after 15+ year hiatus

06 Oct 2015 22:26

bradallen226 wrote:i am very identical in that i am now fulltime on the mtb after many decades on the street scene

Nice. What part of the country are you in and where are you riding mostly? I'm in the bay area so it's a lot of Marin and the Peninsula. Some Tahoe when I get out there like I will ALL NEXT WEEK! Stoked.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

Previous

Return to General