Register

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Whether it's cross country, marathon or gravity, post all your MTB chat here.

21 Jun 2016 23:05

Nino must not like the 29er because it looks like they are building him an all new 27.5:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/is-this-nino-schurters-new-scott-spark

Even though I just bought a new Spark in October, I will buy one of these if its the new Spark because the drop out pivots are noisy (the new one doesn't have them).
jmdirt

02 Jul 2016 13:28

jmdirt

02 Jul 2016 18:42

jmdirt

02 Jul 2016 20:08

NZer Sam Gaze - World Champ in the U23's

Pretty cool considering Anton Cooper won the title last year for NZ!
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

04 Jul 2016 06:27

^^ made it look easy didn't he.
Kulhavy went too hard too soon I think.
Absalon looked out of sorts from the gun......

Rio will be very interesting :)

04 Jul 2016 07:57

Did Absalon get caught up in the field and have to work to get back to the lead?

Nino is ridiculously good.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

04 Jul 2016 09:12

Gotta congratulate Annika she was just awesome in the womens race never really looked like losing once she hit the front.Denmark would be so proud atm:-)
blaxland

Re:

06 Jul 2016 05:33

King Boonen wrote:Did Absalon get caught up in the field and have to work to get back to the lead?

Nino is ridiculously good.

Not really.....he sat back a bit and let Kulhavy and Nino go......he was on his own or with Cinq for much of the race and then slowly reigned them back in.
Even the commentators were saying that it was uncharacteristic of him and kinda dangerous to let them go from the start.

Nino is amazing....always in control and just seems to wait for the right moment....and then ride off and win the race.

It's really hard to believe that there are only a handful of guys in the world at their level! - it's always the same 2 or 3 up front and the rest competing for the minor places.

10 Jul 2016 03:57

It looks like Hart and Gwin finished in the same hundredth...talk about close!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-mtb-world-cup-xco-4-and-dhi-5-2016/elite-men-downhill/results/
jmdirt

11 Jul 2016 22:54

Nino is on fire!
Those islands off the west coast of Russ are producing some fast ladies!
jmdirt

07 Sep 2016 14:24

DH World Champs. Val Di Sole. Insanely technical track. Wet. Last three world cups won by one rider.

If you like a bet, I'd back Danny "The Redcar Rocket" Hart to add another WC to his palmares.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

09 Sep 2016 11:38

Also, Rachael Atherton, perfect season and massive favourite for the WCs. Unbelievable performance and possibly the greatest ever regardless of gender.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

Re:

12 Sep 2016 08:25

King Boonen wrote:DH World Champs. Val Di Sole. Insanely technical track. Wet. Last three world cups won by one rider.

If you like a bet, I'd back Danny "The Redcar Rocket" Hart to add another WC to his palmares.

Should have had a bet myself!! :)
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

Re: UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

16 Sep 2016 12:48

a question: the World Cup is raced by national teams?

the riders have trade teams/ racing teams, or everyone has personal sponsors?

which are the most important races after world cup and world champs /olympics?

thank you
pastronef

16 Sep 2016 13:52

pastronef wrote:a question: the World Cup is raced by national teams?

thank you

The World Cup is raced by trade teams. It's just the name for the overall competition for the elite DH/XCO racers. It get's a little confusing when they say X has won a world cup then two weeks later Y has won a world cup. I think it's similar in skiing but I'm not sure.

If we are just talking about the pros then they mostly have trade teams, some run their own teams. The sponsors are usually dependent on the team but some things might be different. For instance bike component sponsors are usually blanket across the team but clothing and other individual sponsors might vary for individual riders.

After the World Cup, World Champs and Olympics it tends to be certain national races/Championships. The World Cup calendar is actually quite full now so I don't think you get a huge amount of races outside of it with all the top guys. I'm more familiar with DH racing and in this case you do get other events like Crankworx, Rotorua in New Zealand, Red Bull Hardline, National DH series (top pros tend to only attend if a WC is happening in the country around the same time or it's the mid season break). Some will race the Enduro World Series (non-UCI races) again depending where they are and how they fit.

Mainly though it's the World Cup and World Championships that matter.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

16 Sep 2016 13:59

King Boonen wrote:

thank you

The World Cup is raced by trade teams. It's just the name for the overall competition for the elite DH/XCO racers. It get's a little confusing when they say X has won a world cup then two weeks later Y has won a world cup. I think it's similar in skiing but I'm not sure.

If we are just talking about the pros then they mostly have trade teams, some run their own teams. The sponsors are usually dependent on the team but some things might be different. For instance bike component sponsors are usually blanket across the team but clothing and other individual sponsors might vary for individual riders.

After the World Cup, World Champs and Olympics it tends to be certain national races/Championships. The World Cup calendar is actually quite full now so I don't think you get a huge amount of races outside of it with all the top guys. I'm more familiar with DH racing and in this case you do get other events like Crankworx, Rotorua in New Zealand, Red Bull Hardline, National DH series (top pros tend to only attend if a WC is happening in the country around the same time or it's the mid season break). Some will race the Enduro World Series (non-UCI races) again depending where they are and how they fit.

thank you

trade teams mean Kulhavy races for the Specialized team, Schurter for Scott, Absalon for BMC etc etc during the Wolrd Cup events

have you any good MTB website/forum to suggest that takes care of World Cup races, teams etc ?

thanks again
pastronef

16 Sep 2016 14:33

pastronef wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

thank you

thank you

trade teams mean Kulhavy races for the Specialized team, Schurter for Scott, Absalon for BMC etc etc during the Wolrd Cup events

have you any good MTB website/forum to suggest that takes care of World Cup races, teams etc ?

thanks again

Yes, that's right. They race for national teams only during the world championships, like the road racers.

Pinkbike covers the world cup races for DH and XC but its XC coverage outside of that is not great at all. For instance this is their Olympics photo reports:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/rio-2016-xco-mens-race.html

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/rio-2016-xco-womens-race.html

Compare to the DH World Championships:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/over-the-rainbow-val-di-sole-world-champs-finals-2016.html

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/photo-epic-val-di-sole-world-champs-timed-runs-2016.html

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/moon-dust-and-angel-beams.html

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/fear-and-loaming-val-di-sole-dh-world-champs-2016.html

Final World Cup of the season:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/from-the-ashes-finals-vallnord-wc-dh-7.html

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ending-on-a-high-xc-world-cup-finals-andorra.html

Basically XC is covered well when it coincides with DH.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

14 Oct 2016 21:01

Red bull rampage started today. Some mighty crashes. Didn't catch much of it though, only some videos on Instagram and Facebook
Brullnux

Re:

14 Oct 2016 22:19

Brullnux wrote:Red bull rampage started today. Some mighty crashes. Didn't catch much of it though, only some videos on Instagram and Facebook

never heard of that, but clicked on a link on twitter earlier today and saw a few runs, live on redbull tv

wow

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/true-grit-red-bull-rampage-2016.html
pastronef

PreviousNext

Return to General