Register

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Whether it's cross country, marathon or gravity, post all your MTB chat here.

Moderator: Red Rick

Re:

18 Oct 2016 17:34

Brullnux wrote:Red bull rampage started today. Some mighty crashes. Didn't catch much of it though, only some videos on Instagram and Facebook

There was a media blackout this year as it was a new venue and it was thought all the coverage last year helped fuel all the stupid fighting and arguments. Seems like it worked.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

22 May 2017 02:40

Well Nino picked up where he left off. Mati Van Der Poel showed that he is getting better at mountain biking (we know that he has the motor!) at 2:51 back. Another name of note is young Andri Frischknecht 4:33 back.

To kick the the Rainbow win off, World Champ Langvad took the womans race.

Good news for the USA, Kate Courtney took the U23 womans race.
jmdirt

22 May 2017 09:39

VDP was particularly impressive considering he got caught behind the crashes right at the start dues to being gated in 80th position. I think he would have been front or second row in the next race but he's got a road race instead. I wonder if he's going to keep doing all three disciplines or if he's going to focus more. I'm guessing if he keeps getting better on the road we'll see him focus there.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re:

23 May 2017 19:21

King Boonen wrote:VDP was particularly impressive considering he got caught behind the crashes right at the start dues to being gated in 80th position. I think he would have been front or second row in the next race but he's got a road race instead. I wonder if he's going to keep doing all three disciplines or if he's going to focus more. I'm guessing if he keeps getting better on the road we'll see him focus there.

He is going to quit the Belgium Tour after stage 2 and go to the MTB WC.
User avatar Ricco'

25 May 2017 12:42

Really? That could be very interesting then!
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

29 May 2017 15:57

EM- Nino again, but Mati vdP showed his class in second. We should see some battles this season! :)

U23W- Richards edged out Courtney this week.

EW- Belomoina pulls one out. Yana won a U23 World title a few years back ('14?) but this is the first time that she has put it all together at the Elite World Cup level.

The dust and gravel on hard pack claimed plenty of victims!

Note: vdP won stage 2 of the BBT ahead of Gilbert on Thursday.
Last edited by jmdirt on 30 May 2017 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
jmdirt

29 May 2017 20:14

Well, it was the first XCO race I've seen from start to finish (MVP was the reason) and I've fallen in love with this sport, very good. Apart from the World Cup, is there some prestige series (like the Superprestige and the DVV Verzekeringen Trophy in CycloCross) with TV coverage? Now I'm eagerly waiting for the Vallnord XCO, with or without Van der Poel at the start line.

PS: Flueckiger 2nd crash was horrendous, I don't get what he was trying to do, pulling a stunt just meters after he crashed on the descent.
User avatar Ricco'

Re:

29 May 2017 20:20

Ricco' wrote:Well, it was the first XCO race I've seen from start to finish (MVP was the reason) and I've fallen in love with this sport, very good. Apart from the World Cup, is there some prestige series (like the Superprestige and the DVV Verzekeringen Trophy in CycloCross) with TV coverage? Now I'm eagerly waiting for the Vallnord XCO, with or without Van der Poel at the start line.

PS: Flueckiger 2nd crash was horrendous, I don't get what he was trying to do, pulling a stunt just meters after he crashed on the descent.

Below the World Cup, there are national series, and some trade series, but nothing quite to the level of Superpresige or Trophy. As far as TV coverage goes, that depends on where you are I suppose. RedBullTV has some stuff, as do other online sources.
jmdirt

Re: Re:

30 May 2017 01:11

jmdirt wrote:
Ricco' wrote:Well, it was the first XCO race I've seen from start to finish (MVP was the reason) and I've fallen in love with this sport, very good. Apart from the World Cup, is there some prestige series (like the Superprestige and the DVV Verzekeringen Trophy in CycloCross) with TV coverage? Now I'm eagerly waiting for the Vallnord XCO, with or without Van der Poel at the start line.

Below the World Cup, there are national series, and some trade series, but nothing quite to the level of Superpresige or Trophy. As far as TV coverage goes, that depends on where you are I suppose. RedBullTV has some stuff, as do other online sources.

RedBull TV covers only the World Cup or they show other races too? I saw Albstadt on RedbullTV, pretty good coverage, to be fair.
User avatar Ricco'

31 May 2017 08:12

Red Bull is just the world cup. It used to be just the world cup that happened to be at the same location as the DH but they have got better.

MVdP looks very good. I didn't get chance to watch the race, does he look like a serious challenger to Nino?
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re:

31 May 2017 18:37

King Boonen wrote:Red Bull is just the world cup. It used to be just the world cup that happened to be at the same location as the DH but they have got better.

MVdP looks very good. I didn't get chance to watch the race, does he look like a serious challenger to Nino?

Yes, I think that he can push Nino, but IMO Nino was measuring his efforts to maintain the 20-30 gap.
jmdirt

05 Jun 2017 12:07

Fort Bill woods = Stupid.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

06 Jun 2017 04:41

DH Round 1- a mess thanks to mom nature so not worth talking about.

DH Round 2- an old man on big wheels! Minnaar on a 29er. EDIT: Minnaar on a 29aar!

Didn't watch the women's race yet...
Last edited by jmdirt on 06 Jun 2017 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
jmdirt

Re:

06 Jun 2017 08:36

jmdirt wrote:DH Round 1- a mess thanks to mom nature so not worth talking about.

DH Round 2- an old man on big wheels! Minnaar on a 29er.

The UCI have screwed us on both fronts. Round 1 they knew that storm was coming, everyone did, but they refused to move the schedule forward by an hour.

Round 2 and the rain turned the new woods into a mud trap with frame deep ruts that was basically a lottery as they were changing with run to run. How do they decide to fix it? They chuck a load of rocks into the worst of the mud and don't tell the riders. The result is the world's best riders basically dropping into a blind boulder pit covered in sloppy mud with OTBs galore. We then see then pretty much pushing their bikes through the mud, if you watch Tracey's winning run it looks like an amateur race at the weekend. Absolutely stupid.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

06 Jun 2017 14:27

King Boonen wrote:
jmdirt wrote:DH Round 1- a mess thanks to mom nature so not worth talking about.

DH Round 2- an old man on big wheels! Minnaar on a 29er. EDIT: Minnaar on a 29aar!

The UCI have screwed us on both fronts. Round 1 they knew that storm was coming, everyone did, but they refused to move the schedule forward by an hour.

Round 2 and the rain turned the new woods into a mud trap with frame deep ruts that was basically a lottery as they were changing with run to run. How do they decide to fix it? They chuck a load of rocks into the worst of the mud and don't tell the riders. The result is the world's best riders basically dropping into a blind boulder pit covered in sloppy mud with OTBs galore. We then see then pretty much pushing their bikes through the mud, if you watch Tracey's winning run it looks like an amateur race at the weekend. Absolutely stupid.

Are you surprised that the UCI pooed the screwch? That's their MO. The mud pit is short enough that it was still a good race.
EDIT: Her trip through the mud pit looked bad, but the rest of her run looked good (far from weekend warrior). They should have addressed that section better than they did, but at least they all raced the same course (it was wetter for the women).
jmdirt

09 Jun 2017 08:43

jmdirt wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

Are you surprised that the UCI pooed the screwch? That's their MO. The mud pit is short enough that it was still a good race.
EDIT: Her trip through the mud pit looked bad, but the rest of her run looked good (far from weekend warrior). They should have addressed that section better than they did, but at least they all raced the same course (it was wetter for the women).

That section made the whole thing a lottery though I think. It was chance whether you managed to pick a line through the mud that didn't have hidden rocks dumped in it and one mistake in there basically meant you were walking as it was too flat and sticky to pick up any momentum.

We had horrible weather in Cairns in 2015 but it was fine because the course still allowed people to race, same with the WC's in Champery. I just feel this section should have been cut, it was obvious what was going to happen as soon as the heavy rain started.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

15 Jun 2017 01:50

World Cup DH run POV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e4zLSUzFAc#t=178.590475

Unfortunate, this was his qualifying run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkrS7XUN4ng

He has a broken clav., 3 broken ribs, and 2 fractured vertebrae (plus a lot of tender spots elsewhere). IMO: in a crash like that he's lucky that there aren't more serious injuries.
jmdirt

16 Jun 2017 04:41

World Cup DH Round 3
Gwin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nem8ltZmcss

Seagrave won the women's race by fractions of a second.
jmdirt

24 Jun 2017 19:21

Any way to watch live coverage of tomorrow's MTB Marathon World Championship?
User avatar Ricco'

Re:

25 Jun 2017 00:26

Ricco' wrote:Any way to watch live coverage of tomorrow's MTB Marathon World Championship?

I'm not seeing any live coverage listed. I'll keep exploring...

It won't be live but the UCI site might have a video up later in the day:
http://www.uci.ch/mountain-bike/news/article/eight-current-and-former-uci-world-champions-line-for-uci-marathon-worlds/

You might see if something pops up here:
http://www.cyclingfans.com/mountain-biking/live

Plus you might luck out and find something on YouTube.
jmdirt

PreviousNext

Return to General