Register

Olympic MTB Race

Whether it's cross country, marathon or gravity, post all your MTB chat here.

Moderator: Red Rick

Re: Olympic MTB Race

16 Aug 2016 10:48

Escarabajo wrote:
red_flanders wrote:Course map:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JToIw88YEM8

I'm not a fan of the artificial courses. But the racing could be great, who knows. Aesthetically it makes me want to vom.

I don't follow the sport too much lately, but isn't this course too technical? maybe too many obstacles.

I used to follow the sport when Hesjedal was riding. LOL.

The opposite really, too open, too fake and not technical enough IMO.
Brullnux

16 Aug 2016 15:12

Escarabajo wrote:
red_flanders wrote:Course map:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JToIw88YEM8

I'm not a fan of the artificial courses. But the racing could be great, who knows. Aesthetically it makes me want to vom.

I don't follow the sport too much lately, but isn't this course too technical? maybe too many obstacles.

I used to follow the sport when Hesjedal was riding. LOL.

As Brullnux says, really it's not technical enough.

Based on when you used to watch I can understand your thoughts, the "dirt roadie" days of XC are a while behind us though and the XCO tracks on the world cup can be seriously challenging both on the ups and the downs. It's no longer the haunt of winter training for roadies (that's CX's gig now, at least round here). Start/Finish and pits should be flat and easy, but everything else should have roots, rocks, gullies, drops etc. all over it making it a real technical and physical challenge.

Of the problems with manmade courses I usually notice the climbing sections most. They tend to be long drags or standard switchbacks (I seem to remember 2012 was terrible for this as was Glasgow 2014) that offer no real challenge and allow guys who aren't technically brilliant on the descents to catch back time they have lost much easier. The great thing about the natural courses we see these days is that the climbing can be as technical as the descending, especially when they age through constant use, weather etc. You just don't get these things on Olympic courses.

I can understand that they want to make it accessible to large crowds and this course certain looks like it succeeds there.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

17 Aug 2016 10:03

Bring back Paola Pezzo!

As an ex-amateur XC racer I'll be watching closely. Obviously for cycling fans Sagan is the draw, but I think he'll be lucky to be top 5 -- mostly because he carries 5-10 kg more than the top racers, at least that's my guess. In the heat;humidity that will play a role. But who knows -- he's certainly shown he can get to the finish line in the lead group in punchy road stages, so why not?
Bolder

17 Aug 2016 23:18

I reckon they should bring downhill mtb into the Olympics as well. It's a great spectacle but also an unbelievable demonstration of courage and skill, and is physically draining as well. Have one early on and one later in the Olympics.
Brullnux

18 Aug 2016 09:25

It's been discussed in a few places. Two things people bring up as a problem, location and cost as a barrier to participation. The second one I don't actually think is a problem, it's not like a velodrome is cheap. The first one is a bit of an issue though. You can't guarantee that every city who wants to hold the Olympics can actually provide a suitable course. XC is easy, you can pretty much build the hills required if you don't have them but you can't do that for DH. You could obviously host it somewhere else but I don't think the IOC is particularly keen on that, for instance if it was included in London 2012 you would have had to either massively develop Llangollen or hold it in Fort William, they're about the only two places that are up to standard and there's no way you could hold an Olympic level event in Llangollen without serious development.

You'd also have to drop one of the cycling events (preferably road race for me) from the program. Ideally I'd like to see it in to be honest, I don't think it will happen though.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

18 Aug 2016 13:02

Thanks guys for all the answers.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

20 Aug 2016 16:10

The course is even easier than I thought, Sagan could do better than I predicted.

Neff ftw in the women's race, Langvad disappointing so far.
Brullnux

20 Aug 2016 16:14

Very nice course, watching womens race!!!Hats off to Brasil!!!! Rooting for Sagan, why wouldn't he win? I see him kill the hard classics, like DeVlaemink, Nibali, Lance Armstrong, he knows how to handle a bike!!! Go Peter, and hats off to women cyclists!!
This Charming Man

Re:

20 Aug 2016 16:25

Brullnux wrote:The course is even easier than I thought, Sagan could do better than I predicted.

My thoghts as well about the course and sagan. Just hoping he does not win.

Rissved looks quite good too..
User avatar meat puppet

20 Aug 2016 17:09

Are time gaps like that normal in women's MTB?
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re: Re:

20 Aug 2016 17:28

meat puppet wrote:
Brullnux wrote:The course is even easier than I thought, Sagan could do better than I predicted.

My thoghts as well about the course and sagan. Just hoping he does not win.

Rissved looks quite good too..

Yeah you were right, I called it wrong.
Brullnux

20 Aug 2016 18:58

2 hour race seems like no prob for a rider of Sagans power, endurance, bike handling skills.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwzj8sCAQJY This roadie too
This Charming Man

20 Aug 2016 19:48

This Charming Man wrote:2 hour race seems like no prob for a rider of Sagans power, endurance, bike handling skills.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwzj8sCAQJY This roadie too

Sagan, as he said himself, is used to a 5,6 or 7 hour face with only an hour maximum at high intensity. This is more at higher intensity. It's a different skill set physiologically, and he could struggle being on the anaerobic threshold the whole time.
Brullnux

20 Aug 2016 20:10

Brullnux wrote:
This Charming Man wrote:2 hour race seems like no prob for a rider of Sagans power, endurance, bike handling skills.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwzj8sCAQJY This roadie too

Sagan, as he said himself, is used to a 5,6 or 7 hour face with only an hour maximum at high intensity. This is more at higher intensity. It's a different skill set physiologically, and he could struggle being on the anaerobic threshold the whole time.

It will be interesting. Watching the womens race, I could see women resting at times. In cyclo cross, it seems 110% effort at all times, cyclocross has been described to me to be similar to criterium racing. I have seen MTB WC, along with Swiss National champion racing side by side, at a summit, able to converse with one another and fans, racing MTB at sea otter in Monterey. Olympic race, I am sure at another level, the women, outside of the Swedish Gold medalist, and Polish silver medalists seemed to have ridden out of their skins. Since Sagan is starting in last place he will need to pass many non contenders, on a narrow technical course. Riders of a different caliber and skill level. As far as road riding, I would place Merckx at the top, he broke many records during his hour record. Sagan, in the Tour of California hung on to win against a superior climber Alliphillipe. Sagan, Merckx, DeVlaemink,(multiple World cyclocross champion) has the versatility to win gold Sunday. That is not a put down on all the Olympic MTB, contenders, I think that great champions such as Peter can rise to the occasion.
This Charming Man

20 Aug 2016 20:23

Just watched the women's race in full on the NBC Sports app on AppleTV, and really enjoyed it. The winner Rissveds at 22, wow, what a talent. Rode within herself and then just took over on the last lap. Close competition for third. Ugly course, but well covered on tv. Beautiful riders. I'm a fan.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

20 Aug 2016 21:01

haha thats what i also thought, really ugly course. couldn't they have made a nice course? lol
robin440

21 Aug 2016 04:35

Good race! Congrats Rissveds!
jmdirt

21 Aug 2016 08:35

I'm no expert but 200-1 on Koretzky will do nicely for me for an interest bet. I hope Sagan does well despite the seeming negativity about his chances.
The Barb

21 Aug 2016 15:34

Sagan very impressive start
User avatar meat puppet

Re:

21 Aug 2016 15:40

meat puppet wrote:Sagan very impressive start

Essentially started in last and moved up to 3rd in the first 1 minute and a half. Very impressive so far.
User avatar benzwire

PreviousNext

Return to General