Register

Crap cage

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Crap cage

24 Apr 2017 03:03

I really love my new bike..I am still pretty fat but I like the sub 17lb setup. Everything is pretty modern but.. I still wanted mechanical.. not enough shops near me to support Ultegra or Dura Ace electronic..oh well.
Now the problem.. have tried two different brands of water bottle cages and the @#%*ing bottles fall out on bumpy roads.. and before you say those are the only roads available.
In my non-carbon. life I used alloy cages.. didn't care how much they weighed or how they looked. Because of my age..I use for straps for everything.. bringing a vest or rain jacket? I roll it into a burrito and use the strap to hold it on the seat rails.
And before if I was going Roubaix riding I would cage my second bottle and put a strap around it going behind the seat tube and the bottle was not coming off.
Yes it took some kooky technique to get the second bottle free for drinking but I had lots of experience.
Everything I do with my new bike scratches the thing!!the matte black shows everything.cleat touched the stay.. scratch..leaned ever so gently against whatever..lil' scratches!!
I want to get a cage that looks good, , still give the bike race look.. scared of the rub marks a strap will cause..the cockpit cabling looks like it will rub thru the head tube soon!!! don't even get me started how paranoid I am about the chain slapping on the stay..
I thought carbon fiber was a miracle.. but so far it feels really fragile to me
Unchained

24 Apr 2017 04:36

Have a look at the Elite range of cages. These are generally the pros choice for cobbled races.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/elite-custom-race-bottle-cage-2014-1/

As for the cable rub, get some small frame stickers. They are generally clear and about the size of a small coin. Clean the area well first, then apply. You can also get them for your chainstay to protect against slapping.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/lizard-skins-frame-protector-patch-kit/
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re: Crap cage

27 Apr 2017 15:06

Unchained wrote:I really love my new bike..I am still pretty fat but I like the sub 17lb setup. Everything is pretty modern but.. I still wanted mechanical.. not enough shops near me to support Ultegra or Dura Ace electronic..oh well.
Now the problem.. have tried two different brands of water bottle cages and the @#%*ing bottles fall out on bumpy roads.. and before you say those are the only roads available.
In my non-carbon. life I used alloy cages.. didn't care how much they weighed or how they looked. Because of my age..I use for straps for everything.. bringing a vest or rain jacket? I roll it into a burrito and use the strap to hold it on the seat rails.
And before if I was going Roubaix riding I would cage my second bottle and put a strap around it going behind the seat tube and the bottle was not coming off.
Yes it took some kooky technique to get the second bottle free for drinking but I had lots of experience.
Everything I do with my new bike scratches the thing!!the matte black shows everything.cleat touched the stay.. scratch..leaned ever so gently against whatever..lil' scratches!!
I want to get a cage that looks good, , still give the bike race look.. scared of the rub marks a strap will cause..the cockpit cabling looks like it will rub thru the head tube soon!!! don't even get me started how paranoid I am about the chain slapping on the stay..
I thought carbon fiber was a miracle.. but so far it feels really fragile to me

King cage, stainless and titanium..bendable to make tighter, stainless/Ti so won't mark up bottles.
Iris model really nice.
http://www.kingcage.com/
User avatar Bustedknuckle

01 May 2017 03:05

A bit late to the party, but Arundel Mandible cages hang onto bottles extremely well.
Not cheap, but I've got them on a couple of bikes including my gravel bike that I bounce off rocks, tree roots, creek beds etc and haven't even looked like losing a bottle yet.
http://www.arundelbike.com/product/mandible/
Tim B

08 May 2017 13:15

My fave has always been the Tacx Tao.
User avatar veganrob

Re:

18 May 2017 01:48

Tim B wrote:A bit late to the party, but Arundel Mandible cages hang onto bottles extremely well.
Not cheap, but I've got them on a couple of bikes including my gravel bike that I bounce off rocks, tree roots, creek beds etc and haven't even looked like losing a bottle yet.
http://www.arundelbike.com/product/mandible/

i second this. Not sure of the model but one of their heavier (still light) carbon cages works well enough for MTB riding.
User avatar Master50

Re:

08 Jun 2017 21:44

42x16ss wrote:Have a look at the Elite range of cages. These are generally the pros choice for cobbled races.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/elite-custom-race-bottle-cage-2014-1/
This. Or any cheap plastic cage, really. Point is, plastic (with a bit of rubber, even better) is by far and away the best material for bottle cages. Light. Cheap. Pro. Can be deformed to hold bottles tighter or looser. Gentle on the bottle. Go plastic. It's fantastic.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

26 Jun 2017 19:03

Actually cat eye makes an inexpensive all plastic cage that never lets go and lighter than most carbon cages. cheap, not that ugly, light and has absolutely no snob appeal. MTB performance. Metal cages I like elite traditional SS cages Bottles will pop out on rough roads.
Arundles for bling and function.
User avatar Master50

Re: Crap cage

13 Jul 2017 00:08

Unchained wrote:I thought carbon fiber was a miracle.. but so far it feels really fragile to me

CF isn't as fragile as a few anti CF fanatics will lead you to believe, however it isn't as tough as the pro CF fanatics will lead you to believe either. The main bike shop where I live the lead mechanic who has worked there 7 years will not buy a CF bike after all the problems he's seen coming through the door. CF will do the weird stuff you mentioned, however the chain slap business was supposedly addressed about 8 or so years ago to some degree by applying an extra layer of CF weave and by putting a plastic guard on. You can of course protect it further but don't use tape, any tape will get ate very fast, use either a self stick on plastic guard, or use an old inner tube taped at the ends but that looks sort of tacky but it works, Lizard Skin makes a guard, you could wrap handlebar wrap with taped ends, or wrap a Mr Tuffy tire liner, a piece of 1" wide soft side of a velcro strip with adhesive backing, a piece of leather maybe from an old belt, there is a tape of sorts called rubber splicing tape that would work. There are a few options you could do to protect the chain stay; but in reality chain slap on a road bike should be a very rare event.
froze

17 Jul 2017 03:45

Straps aren't a bad idea, however none of my cages eject bottles. I've had great success with Bontrager RXL, Lezyne CNC Alloy (it's literally impossible to have a bottle get ejected from that one), Chris King stainless, and the Elite Pria Pave (another impossible to eject cage, but a tad heavier than the others I have). Just so you know, I use only 27 ounce Polar bottles, these bottles are heavier due to the bottle being insulated and fluid volume, and they never get ejected from those cages I have. The only possible exception is the Chris King Stainless cage, occasionally I have to bend the top of the cage down a bit to get it to fit the bottle snug, after about 3 or so years of use I notice the bottle is not be held as tight so I rebend the cage, not a lot just enough to hold snug.
froze

22 Jul 2017 01:52

I installed cheap plastic cages on suggestion of a local .the area that touches the bottle is much more than other cages I looked at..so far all is well but my riding has really been reduced.. time will tell..
I have been wiping the bike down after each use.. including the chain.. I didn't degrease the original oil on Shimano chain.as chain got a little noisy I applied Squirt and wiped off the excess..so far I like the bike, set up and performance of the drive train..
I am getting over how fragile the bike appears.. watched some YouTube videos of carbon vs aluminum and that was cool..
I have a place to keep the bike that is void of most side falls on tubes..so my fear\ paranoia has diminished a little..

Believe it or not.. humans have not knocked over my bike..dogs and cats..yep..
Unchained

Return to General