Register

Touring Bike:- Upgrade from 9speed to 10 Speed Questions.

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Touring Bike:- Upgrade from 9speed to 10 Speed Questions.

06 Dec 2017 09:37

I'm wanting to upgrade my Touring Bike from a 9 speed drive train to 10 speed.

Probably something along the lines of the Shimano XT T8000 groupset.
https://www.cyclingabout.com/2017-shimano-deore-xt-t8000-touring-trekking-groupset/

I have some questions regarding the swap out of my current set up to the new one.

I currently have a Sugino Triple up front, and XT long cage derailleur, 9 speed cassette & Chain (obviously) and have a Shimano UN55 Cartridge BB with Square Taper interface with the cranks. BSA 68mm case with 118 axle length.

If I move to the T8000 groupset, it will involve Hollowtech II technology. Is this just a straight swap over to the new BB set up? Something like the XT BB-MT 800. Will I need spacers?

Will I need a new freehub body to accommodate the new 10 speed cassette? Rear hub is an XT

Thanks if you can help me out.
Cheers.
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

06 Dec 2017 11:32

Straight swap for cranks and BB, might need a spacer or two behind the drive side cup. Be aware that the XT cups are smaller than the standard Shimano cups and require a different size tool. They supply a plastic reducer but I've found these can be quite variable and some slip too much to get the cups on properly. Park sell a tool that does both the smaller Shimano cups and the oversized (FSA?) cups. It's the BBT29. You can use a standard size BB though, the XT one isn't required. I recommend Hope, cup stays in a you just change the bearings.

10 speed MTB cassette is the same size as 9 speed MTB cassette I believe. Road would need a 1mm spacer, I don't think MTB does.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

06 Dec 2017 12:00

Thanks KB.

Run XT on my MTB, and have those tools / reducer that you mention.

Good to hear it's a straight swap in terms of cranks / BB & Cassette.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

Return to General