Register

What sunglasses do you wear?

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

21 Sep 2010 10:13

Polyarmour wrote:Has anyone had any experience with transitioning lenses? I'd like a set that go from perfectly clear to dark.

Ask Tyler Farrar.

He needs this.

Every day. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=800M1P855K4

If you watch Eurosport, you'll know what I mean. ;)
User avatar L'arriviste

Re: What sunglasses do you wear?

25 Oct 2017 09:21

for my taste i like to wear some really stylish clout goggles lol. They look really cool and when i bike ride i ride with style. the only down side of this is well it makes me look like Willy Wonka haha. if you guys don't know how they look like here is an example: <link removed by mods>
izzyairs
Newly Registered Member

Re:

26 Oct 2017 15:42

Polyarmour wrote:Has anyone had any experience with transitioning lenses? I'd like a set that go from perfectly clear to dark.

I wear transitional lenses for everyday use and occasionally for bike rides. If you are riding a route with longer tunnels then the glasses blind you on entering the tunnel.

In response to what kind of cycling glasses I use:
Used to use Dual glasses with close up reading section (great for reading computer or cell phone).
Now I use prescription Bolle glasses (cost around $300) - I like them although in cold weather I would prefer more wrap around.
avanti

09 Nov 2017 11:09

I've got some Rudy Project photochromatic lenses that go from clear enough to ride in the middle of the night, in winter, in Glasgow and dark enough to wear in the Bekaa Valley in the middle of summer, probably one of the best bits of kit I have.

As Avanti mentioned, the transition can be a little slow when going from extremes, I've done some enduro type mountain biking in them and they struggled to change quickly between tree cover and open trails, but on the road bike I've found they're fine. Mine are a few years old now and I think some companies have made big improvements in transition times. Honestly, I don't see any downside to them.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

24 Nov 2017 12:34

Mrs 42x16ss has a pair of Rudy Projects, with prescription photochromatic lenses. They cost BIG $$ but she says that they’re the best piece of kit she’s ever owned. Even better than her bike. All I know is that her confidence has increased hugely thanks to them.

The lenses in the Oakleys she had before them delaminated after 12 months. The warranty replacement lenses only lasted another 6...

I only use an $80 pair of BBB sunglasses with replaceable lenses because I break and lose glasses all the time. After 8 months they’re going well. I just have to remember to bring the tinted lens if I leave home in the dark.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

24 Nov 2017 16:59

There are a lot of good sunglasses on the market today, a person can find high quality glasses for less than $300 too. Technology on lens making is far better than 20 years ago and a set of $75 glasses will meet the optical purity of a set of $300 ones. And since all sunglasses for cycling the lens are made of plastic they are very susceptible to scratching so buy a pair that have replaceable lenses because you'll be replacing them. I did something a bit different since I got tired of scratches, I went to Costco and my vision checked so i could get a pair of glasses on discount through work, my eyesight was 20/20 so they corrected it to 15/20 which allowed me to get the Transitions DriveWear glasses, these glasses are the best sunglasses I've ever owned and the scratch resistant coating is superior to regular sunglasses, I wear these on bright days, on cloudy/hazy days I wear my Tifosi Fototec glasses which are due for lens replacement, but these are very good glasses, when I compared them to Oakly I could see no difference in visual purity, the Tifosi cost as much as an Oakly lens replacement, and the Tifosi lens replacement is about 1/2 of what Oakly replacements cost. At night I simply wear a pair of clear safety glasses I get at home improvement places (I do have to check several different kinds since the cheap ones tend to visually distort things especially at the sides). I have another pair of dark (they start out dark and get darker) photo polorized glasses I bought years ago from Bolle that were supreme at resisting scratches and supreme at sun protection (I lived in the desert so having very dark glasses was essential for me), those were made of some sort of laminate glass lens that was highly scratch resistent, I can't count the number of times those things fell and hit rocks etc and never even a pit, but I can no longer find those anywhere or I would have bought those again, the frames got too stretched out over the years to stay on my face while riding, so I use them when I'm fishing on very bright days because those are darker then the ones I got from Costco, but where I live now in Indiana the brightness of a normal day isn't as intense as it was in the desert so the Costco glasses work plenty good enough for riding and driving.

I just don't think, after trying many different brands, that the expensive ones aren't worth the money, they are only worth the money if you want style points.
froze

24 Nov 2017 19:27

An old pair of my prescription glasses if there is not strong sunlight, and a £3.99 pair from Aldi over the top if I think sunglare might be an issue. Spending any more, IMHO, is pure vanity.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re:

25 Nov 2017 10:57

Armchair cyclist wrote:An old pair of my prescription glasses if there is not strong sunlight, and a £3.99 pair from Aldi over the top if I think sunglare might be an issue. Spending any more, IMHO, is pure vanity.

Polarised lens and UV protection should be minimum requirements before purchase!! Fashion?? What Eva....

Me:- RayBan, Bolle and a sweet set of Rudy's with 4 interchangeable lenses for the conditions.
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

28 Nov 2017 03:38

Polarized lens is not necessary unless you plan on riding your bike on water, but for cycling it's not needed, in fact wearing polorized glasses while riding could make it impossible to read your bike computer. Despite popular theory, polarized lenses don’t represent significantly increased UV protection. Is having polorized glasses a bad idea for cycling, no, it just isn't necessary, but it won't hurt anything either.
froze

Re:

28 Nov 2017 05:49

froze wrote:Polarized lens is not necessary unless you plan on riding your bike on water, but for cycling it's not needed, in fact wearing polorized glasses while riding could make it impossible to read your bike computer. Despite popular theory, polarized lenses don’t represent significantly increased UV protection. Is having polorized glasses a bad idea for cycling, no, it just isn't necessary, but it won't hurt anything either.

I have polarised lenses for my Oakleys and I really like them on sunny days. They make colours more vibrant and enhance contrast and reduce glare. No, they aren't necessary of course, but I still prefer them to equivalent non-polarised tints.
winkybiker

Re:

28 Nov 2017 09:40

froze wrote:Polarized lens is not necessary unless you plan on riding your bike on water, but for cycling it's not needed, in fact wearing polorized glasses while riding could make it impossible to read your bike computer. Despite popular theory, polarized lenses don’t represent significantly increased UV protection. Is having polorized glasses a bad idea for cycling, no, it just isn't necessary, but it won't hurt anything either.

I don't think anyone believes that who has read anything about polarised glass and that's not the point of polarised lenses. They can make a significant difference if you happen to ride anywhere where you might experience glare, based on the position of the sun and the surface that it is reflecting off.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re: Re:

28 Nov 2017 12:57

King Boonen wrote:

I don't think anyone believes that who has read anything about polarised glass and that's not the point of polarised lenses. They can make a significant difference if you happen to ride anywhere where you might experience glare, based on the position of the sun and the surface that it is reflecting off.

^^ correct.

As above, a polarised lens with UV protection should be your baseline when looking at a good quality cycling sunglass.... and as per "the rules " arms over the top of helmet straps :)
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

29 Nov 2017 02:42

As some of you have pointed out polorized lenses are especially useful where there is glare, so where is glare? driving in your car you get glare on the windshield or glare bouncing off of cars, or on the water, while you do get some glare off the road it isn't significant enough to make a big difference using polorized or not sunglasses, this why for riding a bike a polorized sunglass isn't necessary...though it doesn't hurt either. While these lenses are ideal in almost every situation, skiers, snowboarders, motorcycle drivers, or cyclists, should not wear polarized sunglasses. Sometimes, the polarization will prevent a person from seeing details clearly, and when shadows are blocked, snow sports and motorcycle driving can be dangerous. Skiers and snowboarders may not be able to determine a small jump from a large hole, for example, and motorcycle drivers may not be able to see the difference between pavement and wet pavement. For the cyclist due to going slower then a motorcyclist, seeing the difference between dry and wet pavement would be a non issue. Wearing polarized glasses while riding a bike is controversial, no one can agree if it's good or not, therefore the only conclussion I can make is that it doesn't matter. I wear polarized lens sunglasses all the time, but that's because I will use them to drive with and to fish with so I don't have to buy a pair of glasses to do one thing, and another to do another thing.

https://www.polarization.com/water/water.html

Also there are different levels of polorization, and most sunglasses do not indicate what their level is, those grades go from 1 to , these ratings are based on the amount of light absorbed, a level 4 is the highest and it's not recommended for road riding, or driving.
froze

Re:

29 Nov 2017 09:24

froze wrote:As some of you have pointed out polorized lenses are especially useful where there is glare, so where is glare? driving in your car you get glare on the windshield or glare bouncing off of cars, or on the water, while you do get some glare off the road it isn't significant enough to make a big difference using polorized or not sunglasses, this why for riding a bike a polorized sunglass isn't necessary...though it doesn't hurt either. While these lenses are ideal in almost every situation, skiers, snowboarders, motorcycle drivers, or cyclists, should not wear polarized sunglasses. Sometimes, the polarization will prevent a person from seeing details clearly, and when shadows are blocked, snow sports and motorcycle driving can be dangerous. Skiers and snowboarders may not be able to determine a small jump from a large hole, for example, and motorcycle drivers may not be able to see the difference between pavement and wet pavement. For the cyclist due to going slower then a motorcyclist, seeing the difference between dry and wet pavement would be a non issue. Wearing polarized glasses while riding a bike is controversial, no one can agree if it's good or not, therefore the only conclussion I can make is that it doesn't matter. I wear polarized lens sunglasses all the time, but that's because I will use them to drive with and to fish with so I don't have to buy a pair of glasses to do one thing, and another to do another thing.

https://www.polarization.com/water/water.html

Also there are different levels of polorization, and most sunglasses do not indicate what their level is, those grades go from 1 to , these ratings are based on the amount of light absorbed, a level 4 is the highest and it's not recommended for road riding, or driving.

When you quote someone verbatim it is customary to reference their work and give them credit. It's also usually customary to understand it but we'll leave it at the first for now.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

25 Mar 2018 19:55

Last season Sagan was getting a lot of grief for his 100% sunglasses, and this season many other manufacturers are making similar products.

Froze, come ride dirt with me this summer if you want to see how much glare comes off of the dirt here. That being said, I prefer mirror finish to polarized to reduce glare.
jmdirt

25 Mar 2018 21:33

I was a convert to Oakleys about 25 years ago. Was sceptical at first....up until I actually tried some. They are a stupid price though.

Been wearing some Reef sunnies I bought in Cornwall last year mostly, but just got hold of some of those big POC things that I snapped up at 50% off.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

10 Apr 2018 08:13

I wear safety glasses from the hardware store, for both clear and shaded. I'm not kidding. The expensive ones are 14 bucks.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/glasses-safety-uv-wrap-smoke-lens-wraparound_p5820966

User avatar Captain Serious

14 May 2018 05:03

Goodr running glasses. Comfortable, affordable, good quality.
Leinster

Previous

Return to General