Register

1x in the pro peloton...

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

22 Jun 2018 16:46

I doubt it. Probably more for marketing reasons...like disc brakes in the peloton, largely pointless.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

Re: Re:

25 Jun 2018 13:03

jmdirt wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
macbindle wrote:Interesting. I'm still not entirely sure what the point of 1x11 is.

It has more of a point in MTB and CX. Remove the FD and you remove a location that can collect dirt and twigs, you make shifting patterns easier and you can reduce the number of dropped chains (most people I know run narrow-wide, chain guide/catcher and a clutch mech) which is a much more significant problem off-road.

On the road all these benefits are reduced by a large amount.

1X wasn't to get rid of a collection area. FS frame designers have long wished the demise of the front derailer. SRAM has never made a front derailer that worked so they gave up and went 1X. Frame designers celebrated. My last bike purchase was a Scott Spark 910. I could get it with either 2X or 1X Shimano and chose 2X because of the closer cog jumps, and better chain line. 12 cog systems help with the jumps, but make the chain line even worse. Also, I don't think that dropped chains have been an issue for many years, but especially since clutch type rear derailers made their debut.

Are they dabbling with it on the road for aerodynamic reasons?

Nope, marketing, particularly from Spam..1x on the ROAD answers no question, solves no problem..front ders work spectacularly everyday..even spam, if set up right.
User avatar Bustedknuckle

10 Jul 2018 16:58

Just corrected a typo in my post, should have said 'can't' about discs.

Yes, I have options, but I already know that 1x offers me nothing on a road bike, other than a sh1tter chainline.

It won't catch on ;)
User avatar macbindle

10 Jul 2018 17:20

To you personally... Doesn't mean the option shouldn't exist because you don't get it. If 1x chain line is so dang bad, then why would anybody bother with it? Mtb,Cx,Gravel.... Road isn't the exception, it's just the most resistant to change. We already know this.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico

10 Jul 2018 17:33

Ive no objection to it existing, and I can see the point of it for off-road. Just not for road. I've got a carbon bike with DI2, hydro discs and tubeless tyres so I'm not your average Phillistine.

Yes, you are probably right about road riders being most resistant to change...but even within road-riders there is a huge range. If you want reactionaries try riding a randonée/brevet/audax :D
Last edited by macbindle on 10 Jul 2018 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar macbindle

10 Jul 2018 17:56

Man, you are typo heavy today! "I can see the point of it for off-road. Just not for off-road". Whatever, I get it. :lol:

I don't buy the 'fine for dirt but not road' excuse. Road didn't like the idea of adopting threadless headsets or PF BB's either. Both tech came from the dirt.

So your presumed poor chain line is fine for the dirt but not for the precious road. I got you, mang. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Giuseppe Magnetico on 10 Jul 2018 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

10 Jul 2018 18:01

Its hot here and Im tired :D

Yes, I agree with you about the take up of new technology, but then the MTB world isn't labouring under the legacy of Campagnolo (No longer any better, and arguably worse than Shimano) and people saying 'steel is real'.

I acknowledge and accept this but I still think 1x gives no advantages on the road....and I'm not a luddite
User avatar macbindle

10 Jul 2018 18:19

Which begs the question.... You come to your conclusion by theory, or by experience?

10 Jul 2018 18:22

I haven't used one, I'll admit. But as per previous post Im pretty sure there is less difference in function between 1x and 2x, than there is between disc and rim brake.

Just to spite you I'll go and borrow my mates 1x :p
User avatar macbindle

Re: Re:

12 Jul 2018 12:17

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:
We definitely agree more politically than with bike things

But I'll bet you love his 'style'...like looking in a mirror, that.
User avatar Bustedknuckle

12 Jul 2018 19:35

Check out the chain routing on the World Cup leaders 1X bike:
https://www.commencalusa.com/supreme-dh-v43-team-2019-c2x26304905
jmdirt

Re:

14 Jul 2018 21:15

macbindle wrote:I haven't used one, I'll admit. But as per previous post Im pretty sure there is less difference in function between 1x and 2x, than there is between disc and rim brake.

Just to spite you I'll go and borrow my mates 1x :p

Yeah, of course you should at least try something before making up your mind. Funny that it's always the biggest critics who never even tried the technology that end up whining about it the most. You can read all the reviews and comparisons and internet chatter and white papers about this tech or that tech, but it becomes a fairly redundant conversation unless you have some miles on something to back up an opinion. Same thing happened with the disc brake thread, trolled to no end by people who never even pulled a lever on one.

If you get in a full ride or race on the road with 1x I can guarantee with the utmost certainty that you will be 1 of maybe 3 people on this entire forum that can claim that they rode it further than doing circles in the parking lot of a bike shop. Even if you decide 1x isn't for you..at least you have the hands on experience and are qualified to talk about it :exclaim:

Previous

Return to General