Register

What sunglasses do you wear?

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

14 Sep 2010 20:18

I have used the Oakley MFrame Heater for years. I get the ventilated lens. I opt for the auburn or gold brown lens for sun or the rose for flat light. I gave them up when my kid said I looked like a Fred...or really because the RX component is problematic

However a fellow masters rider on our club team who mashes the Track Circuit gave ma an extra pair of Rudy's they give him....It is the Zion I think.

I really like this frame and the rose lens works in sun and flat light for me anyway.

This is a real topic for me now because I am in a position for the first time ever to use RX lens for cycling now.

QUESTION for all the RX riders: I need glasses to drive and see distance now. reading is not a problem and riding isn't really but it makes the ride more clear. However corrected lenses help the distance but I can't read my computer with them.

Does anyone know who makes a Sport/cycling Bi-focal or what I think is called "progressive lens" type of bifocal?

I am learning a bit about Rudy and they seem to have quite an RX collection on the web.

But the recommendation I got was a progressive lens what ever that means and I haven't found them in a wrap type glass

thanks and this question is meant to add to the topic not detract from posters original question...
User avatar Boeing

14 Sep 2010 22:43

Boeing wrote:I have used the Oakley MFrame Heater for years. I get the ventilated lens. I opt for the auburn or gold brown lens for sun or the rose for flat light. I gave them up when my kid said I looked like a Fred...or really because the RX component is problematic

However a fellow masters rider on our club team who mashes the Track Circuit gave ma an extra pair of Rudy's they give him....It is the Zion I think.

I really like this frame and the rose lens works in sun and flat light for me anyway.

This is a real topic for me now because I am in a position for the first time ever to use RX lens for cycling now.

QUESTION for all the RX riders: I need glasses to drive and see distance now. reading is not a problem and riding isn't really but it makes the ride more clear. However corrected lenses help the distance but I can't read my computer with them.

Does anyone know who makes a Sport/cycling Bi-focal or what I think is called "progressive lens" type of bifocal?

I am learning a bit about Rudy and they seem to have quite an RX collection on the web.

But the recommendation I got was a progressive lens what ever that means and I haven't found them in a wrap type glass

thanks and this question is meant to add to the topic not detract from posters original question...

i wear progressive glasses in daily life. i wear contacts for riding my doc got me to have one lens for close and one lens for distance. it works for me,not everyone may like it.
Oakley do RX as well.
User avatar usedtobefast

15 Sep 2010 02:20

lostintime wrote:Nah ... it's a scam. Ever since Ray Ban's were made for the Fly Boys everyone had to have sunglasses .... at least in the wealthy countries. How do all the other people in the world who live in sunny climate year 'round, with no sunglasses .... survive? Scientific studies are good for keeping scientists employed .... and making self fulfilling studies. Our "modern" world is panic ridden with all the things we are told we should could and would do, by people who know nothing more than anyone else.

Man ..... we all gotta wake up.

Well that comment just takes the cake Lost in Time. Unfortunately your "opinions" about the validity of scientific studies aren't worth a cracker if you don't even bother to read them. Why don't you read them first, then come back to us and point out to us where those stupid scientists went wrong? That way we won't be thinking of you as an empty headed lightweight prone to making sweeping generalisations that he can't back up.
User avatar Polyarmour

15 Sep 2010 20:20

Polyarmour wrote:Well that comment just takes the cake Lost in Time. Unfortunately your "opinions" about the validity of scientific studies aren't worth a cracker if you don't even bother to read them. Why don't you read them first, then come back to us and point out to us where those stupid scientists went wrong? That way we won't be thinking of you as an empty headed lightweight prone to making sweeping generalisations that he can't back up.

Empty headed lightweight? Maybe so .... take a look in the mirror. We only see what we reflect.

Science isn't all knowing , no one is. We think because scientists say X .... we must believe them. Yeah ..... how about the FDA in the US..... how many times have they been wrong?

What has man done before the advent of sunglasses?

I'm saying make up your own mind, don't be cow and just go along because everyone else is doing it or believing it. When the mass belief is challenged, fear sets in . Attacks ensue ......that's the story of man. Weather the storm brother, but lashing out any makes it worse.
lostintime

15 Sep 2010 20:24

Before man invented sunglasses, he didn't live long enough for it to matter. He squinted through life and then died before his eyes were too messed up.
[color="RoyalBlue"]Thirst is stronger than the rules. [/color]- Stars and Watercarriers, 1974
stephens

15 Sep 2010 23:43

lostintime wrote:Empty headed lightweight? Maybe so .... take a look in the mirror. We only see what we reflect.

Science isn't all knowing , no one is. We think because scientists say X .... we must believe them. Yeah ..... how about the FDA in the US..... how many times have they been wrong?

What has man done before the advent of sunglasses?

I'm saying make up your own mind, don't be cow and just go along because everyone else is doing it or believing it. When the mass belief is challenged, fear sets in . Attacks ensue ......that's the story of man. Weather the storm brother, but lashing out any makes it worse.

Soooo I take it from that response that you are not going to read any of the scientific reports on eye damage and tell us why they are bunkum? You would prefer to sit on the sidelines and just do a bit of anti-intellectual muck raking instead. Lightweight indeed. Mate I would just ignore you if your advice wasn't so dangerous. I just hope no-one else is convinced by your psuedo hippy logic.
User avatar Polyarmour

16 Sep 2010 01:18

stephens wrote:Before man invented sunglasses, he didn't live long enough for it to matter. He squinted through life and then died before his eyes were too messed up.

seriously, "don't confuse me with the facts"
User avatar usedtobefast

16 Sep 2010 01:31

i have oakley radar and salice 006

the radar frame shape is more secure if you put them in your helmet, backwards etc but the salice look better imo

the oakley lenses are better than the salice

the salice are just so filthy euro and they cannot be denied
barn yard

16 Sep 2010 19:47

Basically just needed something to stop bugs hitting my face, it doesn't get too sunny here.

Catlike make the coolest stuff. Just need a Whisper now :D
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

16 Sep 2010 21:57

If you're specifically looking for prescription sunglasses you may also want to give these folks a call:

http://www.sportsoptical.com/store/prescription_sunglasses.html
James Huang
Technical Editor
Cyclingnews.com
BikeRadar.com
User avatar James Huang

16 Sep 2010 22:31

I'm about to upgrade the four year old BBB's to some Oakley Jawbones, some advice on lenses would be great.

I'm thinking G30 vented for overcast and cloudy cold days. And the standard Black Iridums for hot sunny days.

Thoughts?
Night Rider

17 Sep 2010 00:23

Night Rider wrote:I'm about to upgrade the four year old BBB's to some Oakley Jawbones, some advice on lenses would be great.

I'm thinking G30 vented for overcast and cloudy cold days. And the standard Black Iridums for hot sunny days.

Thoughts?

That's a good combo choice. I have G30's for my Half Jackets and use often. VR28's are another nice contrast lens, a little darker than G30. Good contrast for cloudy days, but dark enough if sun comes out.
User avatar luckylegs

17 Sep 2010 00:42

Night Rider wrote:I'm about to upgrade the four year old BBB's to some Oakley Jawbones, some advice on lenses would be great.

Thoughts?

Hi there. I'm an Oakley fanatic, BUT... I wonder if you have tried these glasses on. I have a pair, and while they are cool looking, I don't like the way the frame blocks my vision. M-Frames, and Radars have no bottom or side frame and don't block your vision in any direction. I don't wear my Jawbones riding anymore. I don't feel comfortable with them, in riding situations.:cool:
nowhereman

17 Sep 2010 02:36

nowhereman wrote:Hi there. I'm an Oakley fanatic, BUT... I wonder if you have tried these glasses on. I have a pair, and while they are cool looking, I don't like the way the frame blocks my vision. M-Frames, and Radars have no bottom or side frame and don't block your vision in any direction. I don't wear my Jawbones riding anymore. I don't feel comfortable with them, in riding situations.:cool:

all my Oakleys,except for the Factory Pilot's (original,with clear lenses also)
are rimless on the bottom. less clutter(no frame) works better IMO.
i like the Half Jacket and M-Frame. the M Frame is good for windy days. we get
those in SoCal.
User avatar usedtobefast

17 Sep 2010 03:13

nowhereman wrote:Hi there. I'm an Oakley fanatic, BUT... I wonder if you have tried these glasses on. I have a pair, and while they are cool looking, I don't like the way the frame blocks my vision. M-Frames, and Radars have no bottom or side frame and don't block your vision in any direction. I don't wear my Jawbones riding anymore. I don't feel comfortable with them, in riding situations.:cool:

I tried both on and to be honest it was a hard decision, I was pretty much 50/50 as both styles suited my face shape. When I went in to try them on I thought I would come away with a firm favorite but both were equally good.

I may yet get the Radars.
Night Rider

17 Sep 2010 07:35

Night Rider wrote:I tried both on and to be honest it was a hard decision, I was pretty much 50/50 as both styles suited my face shape. When I went in to try them on I thought I would come away with a firm favorite but both were equally good.

I may yet get the Radars.

The Radars are my favorites. I wear contact lenses when I ride, and I never have to worry about wind in my eyes with the Range or the Pitch shaped lenses. In warmer winter weather I even ski with them, if I'm not going to wear Goggles. You won't be sorry if you pick the Radars.
nowhereman

17 Sep 2010 09:58

I have had almost ever make of sunglasses over the last 25 yeas and Oakley have consistently come up the best.
More on my blog: http://http://glorycycles.com/blog/

My Site here http://glorycycles.com/

Photo album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/glorycycles/ Get's 15K views a day. Its pretty fun

Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/user/glorycycles
User avatar Cliveds

19 Sep 2010 17:10

I have a pair of Split Jackets (smaller version of Jawbone) on the way and considered this an issue, but made the leap anyway. I'll post thoughts when I put in some miles with them.
User avatar luckylegs

20 Sep 2010 17:48

I've been pretty happy with my Rudy's. They have some great web specials for glasses+helmet, etc.

On the UV front, pretty much any glass or plastic will block a pretty high percentage of UV. Glasses that advertise such protection typically are only buying you a few extra %, and there usually isn't any certification to back up that they are actually doing that.

However, it is a real potential threat. My dad, who spent a lot of time outdoors without glasses, got an ocular melanoma. Despite surgery to remove the eye with the tumor, it metatisized to his liver and killed him. While this is only one case, I did enough research at the time to be pretty well convinced that the UV issue is a real one.
slcbiker

21 Sep 2010 09:50

Has anyone had any experience with transitioning lenses? I'd like a set that go from perfectly clear to dark.
User avatar Polyarmour

PreviousNext

Return to General